Reverb business practices - bad seller

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Jul 12, 2019.

1. mw63

mw63 Member

Interesting situation..... I make a lot of purchases and sell some items on Reverb, have had generally excellent experiences. Had one situation where the seller did not ship within the allotted time frame. He contacted me, told me of some personal issues which I believed to be true. He met every commit afterward to get the item shipped.... and it was ultimately a great item. Did contact Reverb, they were supportive but ultimately didn't have to step in. Makes me wonder how things would go using Reverb payments in a dispute.... good to have CC protection behind it.

2. handtrix

handtrix Member

Is not REVERB -> Chicago Music Exchange?
    I would not be one who defends this company like it is your friend...

:munch

3. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

I bought a pedal on Reverb last year which the seller knew to be defective. When I confronted him, he denied knowing it was defective and claimed he sold it simply because he "didn't like the way it sounded." The pedal was several hundred dollars. His advice to me was: "Get over it."

4. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Encountered a sleaze seller who went on to verbally threaten, not violence but believe me it was crap

Reverb stood up back me up and all that

I will continue to sell to reverb although I haven't been two years or so.
    They take there job seriously, in the constraints of Internet marketplace and all that drama

And there is so much drama

5. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

There are many disputes we don’t see or hear about that Reverb fixes, so and there are a couple that squeeze by... that we hear about but again I have never seen Reverb not get involved.

6. kwaves99

kwaves99 Member

7. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

As a seller, your comment works both ways. If I get a bad vibe from a buyer, I will politely ask them not to buy what I'm selling. I've done it many times. I can usually tell by the tone of their emails if problems may ensue on down the line.

Jon C and DiPa like this.
  8. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I think Reverb disabled it.

9. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Lame ordeal.

I've had the opposite experience, about 40 transactions without a singe issue.

10. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

This ^

yakyak likes this.
  11. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I do this too-

I say "I dont know the answer to all of these questions, and have no way to
    find out.

You might be better off buying a new one from a shop where you can look it
    over in person"

Jon C and yakyak like this.
  12. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Exactly! I had a Xotic compressor in mint condition for sale at a great price. I had bought it used just to try. Had about two hours on it. Guy emailed wanting to know how old it was. I told him I didn't know exactly but it looked brand new. He emailed back and said that pedals only usually last a couple of years, so he wanted one very recent! I literally ran from that one. Told him he would be better off buying new. Also told him I had many pedals on my board from the eighties. There are some strange ones out there!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  13. Betos

Betos Member

Don't believe the hype

14. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I've done several dozen transactions, buying and selling all kinds of gear. I think it's a great platform with no major issues on my end. I got burned by some idiot sending back jaguar pickups after he tried them out, said he didn't like them. I then revised my return policy to no returns unless not as listed. On the buying end, no major snafus at all. Just bought a 1974 Flying V last week and it all went well. I've gotten some killer deals over the years.

15. jwfran04

jwfran04 Supporting Member

As far as the return policy, why aren’t you all adding a disclaimer for a 15% fee on returns and minus shipping costs (unless something is wrong with the product of course)? I have that written into my policy so if someone tries this bs with me, I’ll still come out ahead assuming they didn’t break it. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones though, only once had an issue as a seller and that was the post offices fault and only one or two issues as a buyer that I worked out with the seller in one case and reverb’s customer service helped me on the other.

16. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Maybe I should, except they can only return if it's not in condition as listed. For example, I sold pedal that I thought was working fine, but when it arrived the LED was intermittent. Not his fault, so i just took it back. He shouldn't have to pay shipping for that. But it is a good way to cover yourself...

17. guitrr

guitrr Reverb Junkie Silver Supporting Member

The one time I had difficulty with a Reverb transaction, I called Reverb on the phone. They were extremely helpful, and resolved the problem within 24 hours.