• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverb "buyers" who won't take no for an answer - what do you do?

woof*

I'm in a situation like this right now, and I'm the prospective buyer. A guy online has a guitar I'm interested in. It's an inexpensive, but cool vintage reissue guitar that is well known and unfortunately so, for its tuning issues. He assured me he'd had it worked on and there are no tuning problems anymore. Well, I have heard that one before, and I'm not about to blindly trust someone online who I have never met. He may be telling the truth, but maybe not. I have no way of knowing. All along, he was sending me emails pushing me to buy, finally saying he had a local guy interested, and if I wanted the guitar, I'd better act fast.

How many times have I heard that one before? "Better buy before it's gone!" Red flags.

I offered him $100 less than he was asking with the idea that I might have to have it worked on. I felt that was fair, given the fact that I don't know if this guy was telling the truth or not. He counter offered at $50 more. I declined.

A couple of days later, I decided to send another offer of $25 more than my original one. I figured, let's split the difference. I got no response and the offer expired 24 hours later. It would have been nice if he had responded either way.

As of this moment, the guitar is still for sale.

I'm going to wait a few more days, see if the guitar is up there, and then email the seller in a cordial manner, asking him what he wants to do. I see it as simple negotiation, not harassment. Eventually, one of us may cave in. Maybe not, but that's how it goes. I'm trying to keep the selling process positive, and I have no intention of giving him a hard time, either before or after the sale.

I'm approaching this sale with the attitude that I don't really need this guitar, but it would be fun to have it in the collection and I'm not going to cease to exist if I don't get it.
Leave him alone. Seriously.

Timberwolf

Some people have no dignity, some have no common sense. I don't sell often, but whenever I do, I always ensure it's a crazy deal for buyers. Literally half of what others ask for the same thing. Guess what. Before it's gone, the first one(s) to react is a wise ass trying to talk me into lowering the price even further. For the love of God, my price is basically a crime against myself! Yet they keep trying to best me anyways. I politely decline and ignore. If you check the worldwide IQ stats, you will see that the average for all nations (apart from the far East) is below 100... Just be patient and understanding, it's kinda not their fault they are this way.

amigo30

I'm in a situation like this right now, and I'm the prospective buyer. A guy online has a guitar I'm interested in. It's an inexpensive, but cool vintage reissue guitar that is well known and unfortunately so, for its tuning issues. He assured me he'd had it worked on and there are no tuning problems anymore. Well, I have heard that one before, and I'm not about to blindly trust someone online who I have never met. He may be telling the truth, but maybe not. I have no way of knowing. All along, he was sending me emails pushing me to buy, finally saying he had a local guy interested, and if I wanted the guitar, I'd better act fast.

How many times have I heard that one before? "Better buy before it's gone!" Red flags.

I offered him $100 less than he was asking with the idea that I might have to have it worked on. I felt that was fair, given the fact that I don't know if this guy was telling the truth or not. He counter offered at $50 more. I declined.

A couple of days later, I decided to send another offer of $25 more than my original one. I figured, let's split the difference. I got no response and the offer expired 24 hours later. It would have been nice if he had responded either way.

I'm going to wait a few more days, see if the guitar is up there, and then email the seller in a cordial manner, asking him what he wants to do. I see it as simple negotiation, not harassment. Eventually, one of us may cave in. Maybe not, but that's how it goes. I'm trying to keep the selling process positive, and I have no intention of giving him a hard time, either before or after the sale.

I'm approaching this sale with the attitude that I don't really need this guitar, but it would be fun to have it in the collection and I'm not going to cease to exist if I don't get it.
It honestly seems as if you're more interested in "winning" than "buying".

The guy just wants to sell a guitar. Buy it or don't...

(...just how I view these things. )

firehawkkwah

Dude, it's $25. You'll burn that on a box of Chardonnay for the fridge and a KitKat.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
Sometimes you just gotta stop responding. I had someone offer me $130 for a Warmoth neck loaded with schaller tuners.

I said no thank you and declined. He followed up few days later saying his offer was still on the table lmao.

Didn't warrant a response from me and my item sold a day later

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Can you block buyers on Reverb? You can on eBay. Solves this problem easily.

dumeril7

Some people like the "grind them down" negotiation strategy - just keep going at it, no matter how unreasonable or discourteous, until they submit. Some of my in-laws do this. The best way to deal with them is to state your position and then refuse to engage any further. Don't be rude, or they'll try to use this against you. Just don't engage on any level.

D7

Reactions: C-4

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
Minority opinion, but allowing offers opens the door to this nonsense. I set a fair price but it's always fixed. I've never had a problem selling things that way.

C-4

There seems to be a strain of buyer on Reverb who after having an absurd lowball offer declined or counter offered with a polite response and a definite best price will endlessly follow up with more lowball offers. Over and over.

For the guy that's playing this game with me today, I decided the best course of action is to just ignore him and let the offer expire. That at least means he's can't send more offers for another 24 hours. I'm assuming he's a flipper trying to buy at a price he can turn a profit on as I've already made counter offers WAY on the cheap side of fair.

Going rude would probably also work, but going there seems not a great idea.

You guys have any favorite techniques for these folks?

Your method is the best. If you respond, you open yourself up to attacks and insults. I just let it go.

Drew816

Chupacabra Psychiatrist and Meme Thief
Silver Supporting Member
Easy, respond to their offer by increasing the price. ;)

Stratoblaster listed for $950

LowBaller: "...I'll give you $300 and a half eaten Pop-Tart!"
No Thanks
LowBaller: "...you don't know how to sell anything, loser. $301 and a unopen package of Ramen Noodles!"
The price for you is now $1000
LowBaller: "...what, wait, you can't do that."
$1100
LowBaller: "...I'm reporting you to Reverb!"
$1200 and a full box of Pop-Tarts.

Etc., etc. :rimshot

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I usually just send a counter offer higher than my original price. :D
I did this once. The guy sent a message indicating he didn’t think it was as funny as I did, but it ended his bulls***.
I do this too. It's odd, I don't think their lowball offers are hilarious either. They can't too upset at something they instigated.

Dr Doom

Man, some of you "sellers" are idiots LOL. If you're a seller and have the make an offer option on your listing, but ignore or flat out decline offers you feel are too low, you are a dolt. Always make a counter offer. If you don't want to do that, price the item at your "real" price and remove the make an offer option from your listings

amigo30

Man, some of you "sellers" are idiots LOL. If you're a seller and have the make an offer option on your listing, but ignore or flat out decline offers you feel are too low, you are a dolt. Always make a counter offer. If you don't want to do that, remove the make an offer option from your listings

Curious: Is this advice from a seller who sells a lot of stuff, or from a buyer who makes a lot of low offers?

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Man, some of you "sellers" are idiots LOL. If you're a seller and have the make an offer option on your listing, but ignore or flat out decline offers you feel are too low, you are a dolt. Always make a counter offer. If you don't want to do that, price the item at your "real" price and remove the make an offer option from your listings
The Make An Offer option is enabled by default by Reverb and a lot of people don't know you can disable it or don't know how. I know it's reasonably simple but not everyone is as computer literate as others. There's no need to be insulting about it.

Also, there is a world of difference between lowballers and people just submitting an offer lower than you'd like. I have no issue haggling a bit with someone who submits a realistic but lower-than-I'd-like offer and I happily try to come to a price we can both agree with but lowballers take it beyond that to something rather disrespectful. They're bottom feeders searching for either stupid or desperate sellers who need really quick cash so they can turn around and flip gear for the going rate.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
It honestly seems as if you're more interested in "winning" than "buying".
There are a lot of people who've let themselves come to be defined by "winning" and it carries itself over to every aspect of their lives. There is a ton of it in politics these days.

I personally find these people to be intolerable, shallow and very boring people incapable of nuance or subtlety.

Madguitrst

When I get a crazy lowball offer, I simply respond in kind by increasing the amount I want by an even crazier amount. Has worked well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom