Reverb.com has anyone.......?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Timmo, May 23, 2015.

1. Timmo

Timmo Member

Has anyone found a decent price on 'vintage stuff' there?
    Pre-'75 mainly ....

Seems like the 'dealers' have taken over that site now days.
    Man, the prices are CrAzY on there now.

A year ago it was really great, now not so much.

2. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

It looks a lot like eBay now with retailers on there, plus I see a bunch of stuff just sitting there, overpriced to move. As a seller, at least you have the auction format on eBay if you really need to get rid of something, despite the fees.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

They make no effort to separate between dealers and a sole individual. You contact someone looking for a deal on a trade or trade plus cash. But a retail business will offer you wholesale, not market price. If you have a $1000.00 valued street price and want to trade, they level their playing field by attaching say a $600 value to your instrument, not the $1000. And that is OK if you deal or need to detail with a retail type seller. But I am looking for a fair street price to sell mine and I want to sell or trade to a like individual. Not a retail outfit. It is just kinda of uncomfortable contacting someone shooting the sh*t only to find out they consider themselves a retail outfit. Then for me, I know the conversation is over. AND if they are retail, you waste your time figuring market value of your trade vs theirs only to find out, they are keen, as long they buy wholesale.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Yeah, it's becoming yet another GBASE and pointless if you want to buy something for a realistic price.

I've seen the same pieces from the same dealers on Reverb for close to a year now with NO REDUCTION in price.
    TGP is still a better place to try and buy something but selling here anymore is pretty tough....

5. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Supporting Member

I've wondered how vendors feel about the value range Reverb/Chicago Music Exchange embeds in their ads. In many cases the Reverb price range is significantly lower than the ad price. Valid or no, that has to have a chilling effect on potential buyers. Some of it may have to do with the economy in the resident market - I've noticed some being offered out of Japan with higher prices than what I would think would sell, ditto NY-NY and DC.

My limited and subjective take is the selling prices on vintage guitars haven't recovered much and some people are still trying to get premium prices. I inquired about a vintage guitar not too long ago and was told he was sticking to his price because that's what he has in it.

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The "vintage" market hasn't been the place to look for "decent" prices for a long time now.

Reverb is just a reflection of the market: people will ask high prices as long as they keep getting them, or can afford to sit on something waiting for the guy who thinks that a 70's guitar is worth a premium price.

wgs1230 likes this.
  7. deejaid

deejaid Supporting Member

I think as long as there is a "Make Offer" option, you still might be able to get a good price. There are certain models of vintage guitars, like Les Paul's, Strats, Tele's or 335's, that I can see a seller asking more for, hoping to find just the right buyer. But when someone has a mid 60's Epiphone Olympic listed for $1800 for over a year and completed sales all range in the $800-$1000 range, well perhaps you are a bit over priced.

8. pepedede

pepedede Member

BADHAK likes this.
  9. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

I've been on reverb.com since it debuted and I too, have noticed over the past few months, it's been invaded by dealers. I wish they offered a search feature which would delineate between dealers and private sellers. That would return the site to its original "mojo." Don't get me wrong, I still love perusing that piece of cyber real estate and there are some dealers with excellent offerings but it sure would be nice to have the option to eliminate the forced perusing of gear that is hanging on every Sam Ash wall from Massachusetts to California.

It can best be summed up that six months into its creation, reverb.com was like visiting a beautifully appointed guitar shop in the mid 80's...with hidden gems in every nook and corner of the establishment. Now, it's starting to look like eBay with nearly 1,000 ads for "guitar package."

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I just bought a very used,but mostly original 74 Superlead off Reverb and will receive it in the next few days.
    I got it for $1050 US, but once you add the AU dollar diff , shipping and customs (€£¥$ing rippoff) it is a $2000 purchase.
    Still cheaper than what i could get one for here and the seller did lower his price considerably.
    So far the transaction has been swift and painless.
    But yep,the prices for the 68-72 Plexi's is abit steep.

11. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

The dealer prices on Reverb and Ebay are insane, really inflating the market for private sellers. I think my chance of ever owning a '64 strat for fair value are 0.

12. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

More dealer stuff is showing up there, but there's still a lot of nice pieces on there.
    And it's a great place if you want to sell something. Emporium is much better for trading, though.

13. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I don't think that's what's happening--I get the "That's some rare kit!" message and zero results without much work. As I recall the Reverb search algorithm includes all the description text, so if the keywords are in there, it'll show in the results.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

That's because there are no "mesa nomad 45" amps on Reverb right now, but the two pickups that showed in your search include the following text in the description:

Notes about the attached video:
    -The first part of the intro started on the Neck pickup. The second part of the intro and remainder of the track was played on the Bridge pickup.
    -Amp: Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 Short Head with JJ Tubes Channel 3
    -Bass, Mid, Treble are Flat, Presence 75% - Gain 100% - Master Volume 25% - Modern
    -Cabinet: Marshall 1960 Vintage 4x12
    -Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Tuned ½ step down, Drop D
    -Mics: Shure SM 57, Sennhieser E609"

Searching on "mesa nomad amp" gives you the other mesa nomad models available, plus those two pickups.

Reverb doesn't really offer an "advanced search" option, instead relying on facet filtering from the single search box. There's pro's and cons to other ways, both for customers and from a development/performance standpoint. They could add a "search titles only" option, but then you'd have to deal with are all the search terms AND or OR terms, etc.

15. dcbc

dcbc Member

Bought a 76 Princeton Reverb for a pretty good price. It needed a little work that wasn't described. When all was said and done with repairs, I probably paid just "market" for a silverface PR these days. There are deals to be had. Some are better than others.

16. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

My apologies. I was wrong. Posts deleted.