• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

Reverb.com is a RIP

Rocksully

I just sold a bass, and Reverb is taking a percentage of the shipping cost.
I honestly JUST noticed this. Such a rip off.

Im thinking Craigslist, Facebook Classifieds, and Kijiji (in Canada) is the way to go now.

Is there any new competitor to Reverb and Ebay for global sales?

musekatcher

Just pass it on to the buyer, explain, let the buyers shop elsewhere, and force Reverb to revise its exploitative policies. The seller and buyer wins, because he/she can sell the same item simultaneously on 3 sites (already doing this), and the buyers can see the Reverb tax, and buy your item on a competitor site.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
Just pass it on to the buyer, explain, let the buyers shop elsewhere, and force Reverb to revise its exploitative policies. The seller and buyer wins, because he/she can sell the same item simultaneously on 3 sites (already doing this), and the buyers can see the Reverb tax, and buy your item on a competitor site.
That’s a great idea...Or, on Reverb, list in the copy the price you are selling the guitar for.. Your net to you price. Then explain all of Reverb’s charges... = actual selling price of guitar...

I just sold a bass, and Reverb is taking a percentage of the shipping cost.
I honestly JUST noticed this. Such a rip off.

Im thinking Craigslist, Facebook Classifieds, and Kijiji (in Canada) is the way to go now.

Is there any new competitor to Reverb and Ebay for global sales?
Yeah that's obviously something done just to combat people from putting an item up for $50 with $800 shipping to scam Reverb out of their fee. Not a big deal at all, and I laugh heartily at all the "RIP REVERB!!!!!" posts here on TGP. They will be just fine, they are currently one of the biggest gear marketplaces in the world and they won't be taken down by slightly increased fees or anything of the sort. They may lose some customers because of it for sure, but nowhere near to the extent of killing the platform.

Declassified

Yeah that's obviously something done just to combat people from putting an item up for $50 with $800 shipping to scam Reverb out of their fee. Not a big deal at all, and I laugh heartily at all the "RIP REVERB!!!!!" posts here on TGP. They will be just fine, they are currently one of the biggest gear marketplaces in the world and they won't be taken down by slightly increased fees or anything of the sort. They may lose some customers because of it for sure, but nowhere near to the extent of killing the platform.
Just like all those "boycott" Walmart type people you see. Then you find them in Walmart saying "well the prices are too good to pass up" all toothless remarks.

Last edited:

wox

Supporting Member
Man chronic gear flippers are a unique breed.

There are not many other areas that I know of where you buy 5 or 7 expensive durables (refrigerators/laptops/TVs/cars) over the course of each year to find "the one", and expect to be entitled to flip the unwanted items for near what you paid for it, and at zero or low fee expense.

Basement_Builder

Supporting Member
Never thought about it, but always figured that most folks overstated shipping on there so their item would show up in the price sorted list first.

If someone has to overstate shipping by $50 to save $2.50, I'm probably not looking to buy from them.

But, of course, Etsy ...er i mean Reverb...is taking a fee off of the shipping charge, too (have to admit I can't get close to their UPS rates, though), so does Etsy.

They're pretty much faffing around doing the same thing that Etsy did a year or two ago. Etsy went to 5% and took fees off of shipping (hurt more over there as a lot of stuff is cheap with shipping being a big % of a total item cost).

T minus how many days and counting before Reverb starts badgering sellers to list their guitars with free shipping. That way you can really get nailed by buyers who think you're a big corporate store when you're just a hobby guy trading around your own guitars. You get the refund everything no matter what.

No clue what's next as I got an email earlier this week from my "account rep" who I never requested anyway and I told him to never email me again. He's had other sparkling offers in the past such as urging me to set up a business to avoid sales taxes (ghee, that'd be great, then I could have business expenses and tax returns and need to insure part of my house as a business....awesome), and giving up 6% more to attract affirm buyers who can't afford the guitars they're buying.

If dealing with returns is bad with the general public (I've only ever had one out of about 100 sales, but not looking to have 2 or 5), can't imagine that dealing with people who already can't afford the guitar they're getting wouldn't turn around and change their mind about setting up a stream of payments.

I still do list things here or there on reverb and still have one listing, but it's kind of like I'd rather not ever hear from the "customer service" reps who are really just trying to get you to take a bigger loss than you already are. Pitching revenue generation for etsy corporate is not customer service, even if you're paying the "customer service" reps.

Jayyj

Supporting Member
One of my pet gripes with Reverb is seeing a decent deal, clicking on it and the shipping is several times what it's going to cost them to ship it turning a good deal into an inspiring one, so if Reverb taking a cut of fees keeps that in check I'm all for it.

Common sense tells me clever sellers will take the real cost of shipping and add on the Reverb percentage as a cost of shipping, so the buyer will pay a little more than if the seller was charging shipping based on the exact cost, but that would be the trade off against sellers giving themselves a nice little bonus from the shipping.

At the end of the day though, as a seller, I work out what I'm going to get after all the fees and costs and decide if it's worth my while to sell - as a buyer I add up all the costs (I often buy internationally where tax and duty add a ton onto the buying price) and decide if it's a price I want to pay. Personally I'll continue to use Reverb as a seller because I think their cut, even at 5% and with a percentage on shipping, is worth it for the reach they have as a selling platform.

Killcrop

Supporting Member
Reverb had a great idea. Beat Ebay at their own game for musical gear. They captured a huge share of the market. Then the owners cashed out and sold. Now the new owners want their investment back. So now reverb has become ebay. It is typical of how business works in this country.

pirate19

Just sold another guitar on Reverb--2nd this week. Both of them sat (at low prices) locally for a few weeks. Sold within a couple days of listing, and even after shipping and fees for more than I was asking local. Sold a couple pedals that were laying around as well. About $1k of sales (welcome to the collection, CME Exclusive American Special Telecaster!). Yes, fees will go up and that sucks (and I will likely cut back on my Reverb listings). But it's still the best way to sell with lowballers and no-shows on CL/Facebook.

Trending Topics