Reverb, Delay, or Both (always on)

stevel

For those of you that use an "echo" type effect as an "always on" type of tone, do you prefer Reverb, Delay, or do you use them in combination?

I tend to leave verb on all the time, and add in delay as an effect (i.e. obvious delays as opposed to "thickening" type delays).

I did do some surf/instro and used delay only for Shadows stuff (got those pretty close for the different songs) and some Echo and of course Spring Reverbs, but for most purposes a simple verb is all I need.

I'm thinking of the kind of delay like all your shredder 80s guitarists used (EVH, George Lynch, etc.) where they left it on pretty much all the time and it filled out the space without muddying up the rhythm parts.

RRfireblade

I don't use either at all anymore but when i did, I only used a tad of delay. Never been much of a verb fan.

(And I resemble that 80s shredder comment. ;-) )

I find one or the other works best for me. A little of both probably won't hurt but tones wash out quickly when I'm using both in a gig setting for maximum effect and accidentally stack them. I'm not a ambient guy, though. In that field you'd probably need two of each.

jordane93

My Nova Repeater and Supermoon Chrome are almost always on. Low mix for the SM and a higher mix for the NR.

Turi

I prefer reverb over delay.

I don't use any pedal as an "always on" pedal.
I find reverb better to leave on for entire songs than delay though.

micycle

Both always on. I play in an instrumental trio and it's amazing how a hint of reverb and delay fill things up, I use them just enough to hear they're in there. Lately I've been cranking the reverb more than usual, I'm using a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 and have the reverb maxed because it's a really nice clean reverb and doesn't get in the way.

Delay - also courtesy of the FR5 - usually around 400-500ms and only about 10% of the wet signal mixed in. That's really all of the effects I need to get my job done.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I used to use much more reverb in my younger days, lately I have been reducing the amount, but as a Fender boy I still like a touch of that natural spring 'verb pretty much all the time. I am now adding delay here and there like Gilmour does for those big stadium-like solos. We cover some U2, so of course delay is on for those songs.

Chicago Slim

Tape Echo - always on. Never use Reverb, and only use Delay if I don't have Tape Echo. In the past I've used an old Gibson drum Echo, with a three speed motor, analog and digital Delays. My favorite is the Tape Echo on a Zoom MFX pedal, which also has great Reverbs and Delays. I also tend to use the 6 band EQ on the Zoom pedal. You can hear the Zoom G2, often used by Hank Marvin and Darrel Higham of Imelda May.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
At church, we're doing the "U2" thing and one of my amps doesn't have onboard reverb, so I picked up a Ghost Echo (was using a Little Lehle spring reverb and DD2 before that) for just a touch of ambience-turn reverb and delay up until you just start to hear them then back down a little. I then have the DMB for "effects" type delays.

stevel

Sounds like reverb might be the more common always on effect of the two...thus far.

thawn5150

I use a boss dd3 delay set very low in the mix. Funny enough I tried istomp with there delay sample and realy enjoying it,once again set low in the mix. I don't use reverb for overdrive sounds I find it gets too busy. At times i may use reverb for clean tones but the jury is still out on this one

la noise

I don't leave reverb or delay on all the time. It's a pick and choose thing for me.
Everything depends on the song, or the context where I think the guitar will best
sit in the band mix. Live reverb can be tricky because it can make your guitar tone
distant. Sometimes a more direct and in your face guitar tone is required. Not to
mention how a reverb will end up interacting with the natural reverb of whatever
room or hall we happen to be playing in.

I do love me some reverb and delay, though. Just found that neither works "all
the time." :)

pgoon

There is an infinite delay loop going at my house right now and it is all washy and spiraling out of control with reverb. ALWAYS ON.
LOLOL ^^ This is my school of thought - I always have 1 verb and delay running, unless the song really doesn't call for it. Often I will find myself with 2 verbs and 2 delays all on at once...
If I had to pick one always on it would be a tape delay or long trail reverb...

josh_michael

I've always got a little spring reverb on on the amp. Sometimes I'll step on a pedal for a little more. I use delay only every so often.

Dunzie

I'm a very light reverb always-on guy, and sometimes mix in a delay (again light). At times I'll throw a heavier delay on for a solo, but reverb is the one that I like for the always on. Just not a heavy one. I like the way it thickens and wets up a dry signal.

Gillespie1983

Mainly use delay for ambient style or for U2 dotted-eighth note style.
I use a little reverb all the time. Either a room style (to sound like Stones' Brown Sugar intro) or a moderately sized hall.
I must say that recently, I've been exploring no reverb and no delay. Very "in your face" tone.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I use both, always on. Both set on the low side. On the delay, has to be minimized repeats, so low in mix it's almost not repeating. Few delay pedals can be set that way ... many mix knows are more like on/off switches down low.
MD

Coop47

I play a silverface Fender DR or TR most of the time, and always have at least a little amp reverb on.

Trending Topics