Reverb/Delay pedals for Vocals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bruce85, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

Hey all.

I have been interested in the Boss VE-1 for vocals but just discovered the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic.

Has anyone got experience with either of these?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I don't think there are really any companies in the game besides Boss and TC Helicon, when it comes to pedals made specifically for vocals...

If you have an XLR to 1/4" cable and can plug a mic into a guitar pedal, then of course a universe of options opens up, but there are most likely impedance issues to doing that.

A VE-1 (or a used VE-20?) might be the safest bet.

3. beexter

beexter Member

"If you have an XLR to 1/4" cable and can plug a mic into a guitar pedal, then of course a universe of options opens up, but there are most likely impedance issues to doing that."

An Eventide Mixing link would sort that and let you use any pedals in the loop.

Radial Voco Loco is another option and Digitech do one too

4. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

What you need is a Low- to high-impedance microphone-matching transformer, with connections that suits both mic output and pedal input.

THEN a new world of fun will open!

5. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I have had a mic mechanic for about 2 years, it is a decent preamp especially for dynamic mics (I use a Beyer TG60), the compression is nice, the auto tune works as described and can be subtly applied, the adaptive eq is harder to figure out but the clarity enhancement is unmistakable. The fx are passable, wish it would do a basic double track, but you cannot shorten the slapback enough to get that. I usually set it to a slight slap and leave it on. They go used for around $99. Happy to have it.

Gb

Bruce85 likes this.
  6. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

Hey thanks for the reply.

Ever tried it with a Shure SM58?

Which one of the echo settings do you think sounds best?

Thanks.

7. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Never with a 58, I don't have one, can't imagine the results would be significantly different. I have no favorite of the effects, whatever seems appropriate for the end result. I mostly use it as slap because that is closest to doubling which is what I really want from it in time based fx, like the doubled vocals heard on every recording. You can bypass those and just use the adaptive eq and auto tune features.

Bruce85 likes this.
  8. JoePass

JoePass Member

+1 on Mic Mechanic.

Bruce85 likes this.
  9. charley

charley Supporting Member

I gig using a Mic Mechanic for vocals regularly.....I have it mounted on my pedalboard rig, along with an Ethos Clean. I run everything through a Grace Design Felix, directly into my FRFR.

Sounds great, and is the best "personal" sound system I have ever used.

10. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I play occasionally with a vocalist who uses a Mic Mechanic. It sounds really good and works as advertised. Easy to over do the effects, but when subtly applied they sound very nice. The wet/dry knob is essential. It does a really good job of helping cut thru, especially when the house PA is not up to par.

11. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

I'm another happy Mic Mechanic user. I'm using it with an SM58 and I love it! I have it and the Voicelive Play. I prefer the Mic Mechanic because it is simple and works perfectly.

The adaptive tone control is fantastic and the pitch correct can be as subtle or extreme as you like. It never goes into full-on effect type mode, but I have one song where I max it and it adds a little of that character.

I tend to leave it set on a subtle amount of Hall reverb. It would be great to be able to turn the delay off and on during the song but keep the verb on. That's not an option on the Mic Mechanic. It is an option on the Voicelive, but I get consistently better sounds out of the Mic Mechanic.

It will take a little while to get the Mic Mechanic dialed in for your mic and PA. With practice, you'll find a sweet spot. Be patient and you'll have great results.

Bruce85 likes this.
  12. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Anyone have any thoughts on the TC Helicon Perform V? I just ordered a used one that I found at a pretty good price. I'm still waiting on delivery but would love to hear any input on it.

13. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I've thought about getting a Eventide Mixing Link and a Strymon Big Sky to use as a vocal combo.