Reverb diagnostic?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mbratch, Feb 3, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

Should a reverb tank measure some number of ohms at each end: input and output? My reverb doesn't work. The input measures 58 ohms, but the output shows an open circuit.

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Hi mbratch,
    You should definitely read resistance at both ends. I'd check the wires from the RCA jack to the transducer in the tank, also check the cables for continuity, but I'm betting on the jack to transducer wires. The transducer coil itself is a possibility too but not as likely as the wires connecting to it due to movement and fatigue. The wire connections are an easy fix......the transducer coil is usually replace the tank proposition. Hope this helps.
    Dave C

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thank you Dave, that's helpful info. The 58-ohm side actually did initially have a broken wire that I fixed. The other side, though, reads open right at the transducer so I'm afraid it's new tank time.

4. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

"The 58-ohm side actually ..." 58 Ohm side is the clue. Expect the other side, output, has gone open within the transducer coil as this is common in modern Accutronics tanks. Have seen so many go open...

Unplug the goofy Molex connector and check the pins. If open it's new tank time. Unless you want custom-wound transducer the replacement is
    likely no more reliable than original. Sorry to post bad news...

-Jon

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

Yep, checked the transducer pins directly. Open circuit. These tanks are cheap (about $24) so no big deal I suppose.