Reverb doesn't work -- help.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by NoahL, Feb 5, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

No reverb on my Crate V16. It's a little 9" Belton unit. I took it off and all the wires inside the unit seem fine, no loose ones. The proper cables are plugged into the proper jacks in the unit itself. No scratching from the reverb pot on top. Are there some continuity tests I should do without opening up the chassis? I'm out of my league there, but I'll happily put a continuity tester to anything in the tank or in the back of the amp that I can reach, if there's a chance it'll discover something. Or should I just take it to my tech?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Test both sides of the tank for continuity/ohms. Bob

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

rockon1: i do this by putting probes on both ends of one of the jacks, then the same on the other jack? am i measuring across a jack, or from one jack to another? clearly a noob here.

southern: I haven't because i need to take the chassis out of this amp -- tubes aren't accessible like in a small Fender. Which of the five tubes is it likely to be? Is there a dedicated tube for reverb? This is a $350 amp (new); will its reverb be tube-driven? thanks, again, for putting up with my novice-ness.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im not to far behind in the novice catagory.lol! -but Im a quick study., The reverb is not tube driven. You want to measure from the inner part to the outer part of each jack on the tank. Bob

5. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I took my comment away until I can look at the schematic/layout...let me see if I can find it and see if it's a tube driven reverb or not

6. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

looks like the 3rd 12AX7 drives the reverb circuit...test that with a new, known working tube

7. NoahL

NoahL Member

you guys both rock. i'll be back with updates.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The V3 is the phase inverter tube. Im fairly certain the reverb is SS. Bob

9. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

ack...you're right. I'm a bit of a n00b at this myself, so I completely misread it...the signal comes off of one half of V3 and goes into an IC then the reverb send...