Reverb fo Vox AC30HW2x

Srellim1

Hello,
I have recently purchased an AC30HW2x. For whatever reason, I am having a difficult time getting any of my current reverb pedals (Strymon Flint, Catalinbread Topanga, EHX Holy Grail Neo) to sit well with it. Odds are this can be chalked up to growing pains with a new amp. Then again, it may be a common issue that I am not aware of. Bad adjectives, but it seems to not be very present when the reverb is set to low levels yet at medium to higher settings it almost seems that i am getting big chunky blocks of reverb (especially with breakup or heavy chords).
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues or what you folks may be doing or using that does 'sit right'.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Vanamps Solemate with my HW.

Works fine to me.

How have you got the amp set? I suppose if you're cranking the preamp the reverb into the front end might not be that great (although that's purely subjective).

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
If you want pretty reverb that sits "around" your tone, that's pretty much impossible to get with a reverb in front of an amp breaking up unfortunately.

Jorge Vergara

I have the Vans Amp Sole Mate Jr. and work perfect with my Victoria Ivy League amp. Analog spring reverb with a tank.

No cheap but if you have a good amp that's worted.

Regards :)

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
There are some economical boxes out there you plug in between your amp and speakers that have a loop on them.
I use the loop on my Badcat Unleash for this on my Hiwatt, Vox, and Fender amps that I have that don't have onboard reverb with great success.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I rarely "need" reverb with my handwired AC30. Sure, some splash might be interesting all by itself but in an ensemble, it is just filling up space (most of the time) and I rarely prefer it.

Somebody mentioned this a few posts back -- sounds like the issue is effects order. Not the effects themselves. If your amp (power or pre) is clipping, then reduce the reverb amount. This is like putting a verb before a compressor or distortion. Amps typically put the reverb between the preamp and power amp. If your tone is clean, that reverb probably sounds great. As the headroom is reduced, the reverb will become more and more pronounced. The solution is to use less/no reverb, since the amp doesn't offer an effects loop.

Or if you are recording, then use a distant/room mic or plugin for the reverb.

Srellim1

Hey folks - so sorry for the delayed response.
Thank you very much for the input so far! I appreciate it even more given that as I was doing all of the pre-purchase research (fixating), I have already gotten a good deal of insight from a few of you who have responded here via previous threads on TGP.

The Sole-Mate looks fantastic to me.... It is also expensive, however, unless the bottom falls out, this amp is a keeper. If the Sole-Mate really is that good, it is certainly worth considering for the long haul. I have read mixed reviews though and have not yet had a chance to try one. It's surely on my radar (and still much cheaper than a Fender tank).

I'm still all over the place w respect to amp settings as it is still a new amp to me. Still working out ideal sounds for quieter at home vs using w other musicians.

I had never considered using something between the amp and the speaker other than an attenuator. Historically, I've always kept effects in front of the amp. My other amp is a DRRI. I have never had issue running a pedal reverb into it. This sounds as if it may be useful. Im a very, very simple player but reverb and short-time tape echo are important to my 'thing'. This is one thing that the Fender did beautifully with pedals. I haven't quite found it YET w the Vox. It's the battle between that vibe ambience and trying to keep it tight. Particularly w the top boost which i don't have nailed yet or with the channels jumped.

Today, I've been using the Flint a little bit differently than I had been with greater success, still not as smooth as I would like but better.
Looks like it might be time to find something to go between the amp and speaker.

Totally new territory. Any recommendations?

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to correct the typo in the thread title?
Greatly appreciated!

EDIT-eigentone: I agree that reverb is not needed with this amp. Though it is part of my 'thing'. I am sitting here now playing dry w just a light boost to goose it. Boy, these things are just incredibly sweet sounding on their own.

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
There are some economical boxes out there you plug in between your amp and speakers that have a loop on them.
Nope there isn't. Unleash and Power Station are the only ones, and I wouldn't call them economical really. :)

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Ain't there devices you can by that are passive loop inserts?
No, think about it, it's not possible to do without loading down and "re-amp". That's why there aren't loops in regular attenuators.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
This is true, my bad, thought I read about something that didn't need to be a load box to accomplish this.
You can always use one of those boxes that goes between head and cab that have a signal that comes out of them and then plug your delay and reverb from that into a cheap powered monitor or another amp you have handy.
While that may not be ideal, there are cheap boxes that will do that.

I use a Flint straight into the input of my Vox HW. Why doesn't that work for you?

Srellim1

"I use a Flint straight into the input of my Vox HW. Why doesn't that work for you?"

It does work, it's just not lush/smooth etc. More sort of chunks of reverb. Working with it further yesterday, it is nicer just not quite 'there' yet. Especially when jumping the channels and through the top boost.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom