Reverb/Fuzz/Delay/Chorus & ALL for $300? (budget rig recommendations needed)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spookyelectric, Feb 28, 2012.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

Looking to expand my meager pedalboard (which currently consists of a tuner, dirt pedal and flanger). Looking for the following types of pedals, in order of importance.

1. Reverb – something with a lot of character, not sterile sounding
    2. Fuzz – something smooth but with a crisp sound, something that cleans up when rolling back on the vol knob on the guitar
    3. Delay – digital, warm-ish, with around 800 ms. of delay
    4. Chorus – analog, warm sounding, not noisy/hissy
    5. Compressor – subtle, don’t need a real “squisher”

I’d like to keep my budget for all of these at $300 total. Mission impossible?

Here are my possible choices so far, I’d probably have to get them all used:

Reverb – Holy Grail Nano, Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo
    Fuzz - ??? something from Basic Audio, some sort of Fuzzface or Muff clone on the cheap? Maybe just a stock Big Muff or Little Big Muff?
    Delay – Boss DD-3, Guyatone?
    Chorus – DOD FX60 or FX65, Dano Cool Cat (the bigger one)
    Compressor – tried a Dyna Comp reissue, hated it. Had a Boss CS-3, much better but not great?

If it’s too tough to stick to the budget, then the chorus and compressor are expendable. I already have a flanger which can cop most of the chorus-ey sounds I need, but stuff like used DOD Chorus and used Small Clone Choruses are only about $40-50.

I’d like at least one of the pedals to be a nicer one, but I realize that the others (and maybe all) would need to be of the garden variety to meet budget.

So let’s start throwing some budget conscious options out there!

2. chip46

chip46 Member

You can find most of these used for decent prices:
    Reverb - Hall of Fame, Hardwire RV-7
    Fuzz - Standard Big Muff Pi ?? , Basic Audio is great if it's in your budget.
    Delay - Nova Repeater, Flashback, Boss DD stuff
    Chorus - Dano Cool Cat Chorus or Boss CH-1
    Compressor - In that budget the DynaComp and CS-3 are the only decent ones availble

Obviously with your budget and needing 5 different effects you are limiting yourself. If it were me I would focus in on a couple effects you really want now, that way you can afford some nicer stuff, then save up again for the rest.

If you did that, then stuff like the Diamond Comp come to mind for compressor. Boss CE-2 for chorus. Nova Delay for delay (not necessarily better than the Repeater but it has the option of storing presets)

3. spookyelectric

That may ultimately be where I go-- just focus in on the ones that are the most important (reverb and probably delay).

Oddly enough, I had a Boss CE-2 and recently sold it because of the bleed through on the bypass signal (was getting chorus warble leaking through). Shoulda kept it though!

I see the Hall of Fame reverb pop up on the boards somewhat frequently and the Hardwire stuff gets alot of positive mention. How is the Line6 Verbzilla? I've read it's another good one.

4. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

pick up a used line6 m9.

5. spookyelectric

Are those a fairly decent multi-effects unit?

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, there's some killer stuff being built now in China. Yeah, the circuits are ripoffs of stuff that Boss and Ibanez pioneered, but so is most of the boutique stuff. I just built a pedalboard including pedals, power supply, interconnects and board for less than $220, so it just takes some time. Here's what I'd recommend:

Delay: see if you can find the Seymour Duncan Deja Vu. It's being blown out by Guitar Center for $79.95. That includes 1.5 msec of a hybrid delay that can sound sterile/digital or completely analog (they run the delayed signal thru an MN3208 to get the analog sound) and it runs off 9v. The other option is a used Echopark. Both have tap tempo but the SD is easier to think thru...

Chorus: Rogue/Belcat/Modtone-a CE2 copy. I got mine from Music123's Ebay site for $23.99. It's true bypass, and decently built.

Compressor: also Rogue, this time a 2 for 1 deal from MF, got the Roadrunner pedalboard/case, power supply and pigtail and 2 Rogue pedals for $50, including shipping. I got the (PT2399) "analog" delay in addition to the compressor, I use it for ambience.

Fuzz: Big Muff is a great deal, BYOC Tonebender or FF kits are reasonable, but again the SD Tweaker is only $39.95 right now from GC. It sounds a bit harsh in some settings, but that would be an easy mod...

Reverb: well, I think I'm happy with the Rogue Delay for ambience, but the Behringer or Hardwire should be available for less than $50.

So: tap tempo delay/compressor/chorus/fuzz/reverb=$228. Why not add the Rogue tremolo (TR2 copy) and a Joyo Ultimate Drive or Phaser and still beat your budget?

And yes, the M9 is a good multieffects unit, but the drive models just seem to disappear in a band context. It wouldn't be my first choice...

7. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

they sound great. also has tuner, and looper; don't have to worry about patch cables between fx and powering. great board with a dirt pedal of your choice and an m9.

btw, the dirts on the m9 are good too.

8. spookyelectric

Wow, awesome post man! I may have to go "standard issue" w/ fuzz and just get a used EHX Muff or Little Big Muff.

So the Hardwire Reverb goes for around $50 or less used? Didn't realize they went that cheap.

Hadn't thought of the Duncan Deja Vu or Echo Park for delay-- those sound like good options, and priced right.

And the ModTone chorus is a CE-2 copy? That sounds like a good option and true bypass to boot!

Alot of optios to think about-- and would leave me enough for a tremolo (Boss TR-2 or Mojo Hand Sugar Baby) or phase (Phase 90 w/ R28 mod).

thanks man!

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Again, the Rogue Tremolo is a slavish TR2 copy, quiet and it works. For a phase a used Phase 90 is cheap, but you also might look into the Joyo copy for $32.99 shipped...

10. chrisrnps

chrisrnps Member

Another option would be to get a used Line 6 M13 now (possible for $300 if you shop around for a week or two), then add nicer/boutique fuzz / comp / etc. as budget allows.

11. spookyelectric

I think I'd rather just get less of the pedals in my list if they're higher quality, rather than going w/ an M9 or M13.... for some reason, individual stomps just seem much more right to me... don't know why..

12. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

+1 to all this. It probably won't ever get quoted with any drool icon's following it on a gear page post, but I would bet money it would still be a set-up that would not only work, but you would enjoy the hell out of.

Also, go look through Guitar Center's Used gear inventory (used.guitarcenter.com). You would be really surprised what you can find on there for pretty damn cheap. The effects pedals are categorized under accessories so you have to wade through a lot of crap, but there's some good deals in there.

13. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

^this

14. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

Well, I don't think it's mission impossible, but you're not just looking to put together a board that has five effects for $300 (which is not tough), but rather insisting that most of them sound like $100+ pedals. A good sounding reverb costs a lot of money. A Fuzz that cleans up really well with the volume knob well is going to be Germanium, and not just any germanium fuzz but a limited range of NOS transistors that are highly desirable and thus expensive. (However, all fuzz faces will clean up some with the volume knob, so it's not hopeless.)

Some alternates to drbob1's post:

1. Reverb – something with a lot of character, not sterile sounding

Used Hall of Fame if you are willing to use the bulk of your budget and need something beyond spring. Otherwise, just get a used Holy Grail and save your money.

2 Fuzz – something smooth but with a crisp sound, something that cleans up when rolling back on the vol knob on the guitar

There's a couple used silicon Fuzz Faces in the emporium right now for $50-60. I don't know what power supply they require. There was also a point to point, handwired germanium one for $75 (I almost bought it ...), but you'll almost definitely need a separate power supply for that one.

3. Delay – digital, warm-ish, with around 800 ms. of delay

Joyo - $30-40. I don't think it gets to 800 ms, but you're seriously pushing your budget with that requirement. That's not a small amount of delay. Otherwise, be really patient and you might find a DD-3 for under $90.

4. Chorus – analog, warm sounding, not noisy/hissy

Good luck. Joyo again or used Boss is the only thing in your budget, and they're not all analog for the cheap models. Joyo can be had for under $50. It's digital. You probably won't get a good all-analog chorus without spending the money for it. You could simplify your life by just getting an analog delay with modulation and forgoing the chorus pedal. Malekko's 616 can be gotten for $120 regularly, and it has the modulation controls on the outside of the pedal (unlike the Carbon Copy). It's bright enough to make you not miss the digital delay.

5. Compressor – subtle, don’t need a real “squisher”

Check the emporium - someone's got (or had) a homemade colorsound optical clone up for $50. That's the most transparent type of comp you can get. You can get a Dynacomp style pedal from a Chinese maker like Joyo for about $50, too.

Also, if you're patient, you can often buy clone builds from people in the emporium for reasonable prices. I've gotten some and they've all worked as expected.

15. soulrebel83

soulrebel83 Member

Just gonna comment about the reverb. I've had a line6 verbzilla for a while now (used for 80 bucks). Then, hoping to upgrade, I bought a TC HOF. I can honestly say the verbzilla is better, far more clarity and keeps the tone the same, is cheaper, and has a cool shimmer-esque verb to it. I've also had the m9 and it's not too bad, wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

16. spookyelectric

Well, I stopped by the local Music Go Round on my way home and lucked out with the following:

1. Starcaster Chorus - analog chorus, looks fugly but sounds great! $19
    2. DOD FX60 Stereo Chorus - says stereo but only one output jack. A little beat up, missing the battery compartment plate, but sounds better than the Boss CE-2 that I had. $29
    3. Maestro PH-70 Phaser - rate, resonance and depth. Super thick, chewy phase that can get super slow rates, and not that noisy before my dirt (for that VH1 tone). Built like a tank. $12

$65 with tax for all 3 of these. So I'm doing good so far! True, I got 2 choruses, but they both sounded great.

Going to keep my eyes peeled for some of the choices listed here. I plan on spending the most on the reverb, as that Ghost Echo I heard sounded great. But a Boss FRV-1 reverb would work great too, for about 1/2 the price (used).

Or I could pony up for an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master which would get me a nice long delay and a cool reverb.

I'll also keep an eye out for other cheap delays, but realize that less than about $80 for something w/ 800 ms. of delay is gonna be tough to do.