• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverb - I wonder if this is a scam

navigate40

Purchased a used Gibson J-15 listed in excellent condition, then described as MINT in the comment, from a shop/seller in Dundee OR (38 positive reviews). It arrived last Thursday [correction] with the neck separating from the body. An obvious flaw, not caused by damage in shipping. Contacted the seller immediately and was told that I would get a refund, shipping label would be sent.
Then...nothing.

Contacted the seller again....every single day since then and was told:
- he had to figure out how to do this
- he would instruct his people to get this done over the weekend

Contacted Reverb CS on Monday am, they said they would contact the seller. He gets back to me and say he is working on it, should have it by the end of the day (Monday). Asks for my email so that he can give it to his shipping dept to get it to me.

Well...its Tuesday and nothing. Emailed him this am...nothing. Contacted reverb...and ....they said they would contact him

SO.....I cannot get a refund, if I cannot return it.
Reverb CS seems to be completely worthless and only able to send emails to the seller.

The seller asked me for pics of the box, so that he could file a damage claim with UPS....hmmmm....yet another red flag...there is no damage to the box, it as well packed and in a hard case.

I am now wondering, if this is some kind of scam. I really do not know but, it does not take DAYS to email a shipping label.

And as a side note.... Reverb is completely worthless. Their buyer protection is meaningless.

Anyway......just wondering.

Last edited:

thefett

Silver Supporting Member
I've always found reverb support to be very helpful. I know that it is annoying and you feel like you are "stuck" with the guitar. But, if there is an issue with the guitar that was not disclosed you should be supported on multiple levels. First with Reverb, then with PayPal (if you used that) or your credit card company, who will dispute it on your behalf. I think that the seller could just be dragging their feet. I would stay on Reverb CS though. They have been helpful for me, YMMV.
Best of luck!

navigate40

No word from the seller at all today. Another red flag. Promised me the ship label by end of business yesterday.

Reverb CS continues to tell me that they are going to work with the seller to get the ship label and refund...but....if the seller does not respond...I doubt they will do anything. So...they are worthless.

Have contacted my CC co. Since I did authorize the charge and received the item...they do no consider it fraud...so....it is a dispute. And so they have 5 days to get back to me, after they investigate.

Red flags all around. Best advice...never buy a guitar you cannot hold in your hands (unless new from one of the big retailers). And....only deal with sellers online who have hundreds of reviews. This shop had 38.

Red flags. I will never deal with reverb again.

Guitarworks

If you keep getting the runaround, bypass reverb and deal directly with your credit card company. Get them involved and they'll work harder than reverb to get this resolved.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Why did you not contact Reverb immediately?
Then contact the seller next, and Reverb would mitigate and refund you since you paid them directly.

navigate40

I contacted reverb. All they do is contact the seller. Their instructions are to contact the seller first...which I did...and the seller kept promising to send the ship label....since Friday.

Contacted reverb...several times beginning Monday am...and they kept saying that they would work with the seller. I would wait...and nothing would happen. Reverb CS and their buyer protection plan is worthless. If the seller is honest....reverb CS can help. If the seller is not honest, inept or simply slow...reverb CS is of no help whatsoever.

You would think the reverb would hold the funds off...but....no..they don't do that.

Since it is not obvious fraud...meaning...you placed an order and did receive something....the bank takes days to research the dispute. If the seller says they will refund....the bank thinks that settles things.

But....if you don't get a ship label....you cannot return for refund. SO....neither reverb or the bank are of any help ...until perhaps days or weeks later.

DiPa

Constant GAS
I contacted reverb. All they do is contact the seller. Their instructions are to contact the seller first...which I did...and the seller kept promising to send the ship label....since Friday.

Contacted reverb...several times beginning Monday am...and they kept saying that they would work with the seller. I would wait...and nothing would happen. Reverb CS and their buyer protection plan is worthless. If the seller is honest....reverb CS can help. If the seller is not honest, inept or simply slow...reverb CS is of no help whatsoever.

You would think the reverb would hold the funds off...but....no..they don't do that.

Since it is not obvious fraud...meaning...you placed an order and did receive something....the bank takes days to research the dispute. If the seller says they will refund....the bank thinks that settles things.

But....if you don't get a ship label....you cannot return for refund. SO....neither reverb or the bank are of any help ...until perhaps days or weeks later.
Sorry to read this, you will get your full refund, unfortunately there is a process Reverb follows, it appears slow sometimes, but you will get paid. And glad you are working with reverb, just be patient and keep at it.

navigate40

So, this is reverb's "buyer protection plan"

Anything outside of that 7-day window, or a situation that is not damaged/not as described, we would then honor the seller's individual shop policies. It is always a good idea to check out the "Payments & Returns" section on any listing to see the seller's individual policies.

As you can see, they promise NOTHING. They will do NOTHING for you (in terms of refunding your money). The seller's policy is that they will refund upon receipt of the item. BUT....if they do not send a ship label....you do not get refund.

Reverb's 'buyer protection plan' is garbage.

DiPa

Constant GAS
They're just trying to get the seller to take care of it. If the seller drags his feet too long, Reverb will step in and take care of it. You're not going to lose anything, it just may take more time than you want.
This!!!!

Brian N

No word from the seller at all today. Another red flag. Promised me the ship label by end of business yesterday.

Reverb CS continues to tell me that they are going to work with the seller to get the ship label and refund...but....if the seller does not respond...I doubt they will do anything. So...they are worthless.

Have contacted my CC co. Since I did authorize the charge and received the item...they do no consider it fraud...so....it is a dispute. And so they have 5 days to get back to me, after they investigate.

Red flags all around. Best advice...never buy a guitar you cannot hold in your hands (unless new from one of the big retailers). And....only deal with sellers online who have hundreds of reviews. This shop had 38.

Red flags. I will never deal with reverb again.
No need to fret. Stop dealing with the seller and deal only with Reverb CS. They have timelines for things. They give the seller a certain amount of time to respond and deal with the issue, but IME you have to twist their arm to get them to tell you exactly how long that is. From my recent experience, it's 3 business days. If the seller isn't cooperating, they will give him an ultimatum and after another day they'll just forceably send you a return label at the seller's expense. The reason they don't do that initially is because they want the seller to feel like he's in control. But Reverb will pretty much always take the buyer's side.

So don't sweat it; you will be made whole.

navigate40

It has been since Thursday, so 6 days.

I understand what everyone is saying...and that is likely. However, at this point...I have zero faith in either the seller or reverb. And......to be left to twist in the wind is about the crappiest way I think a company can treat a customer. So....buyer beware. There are A LOT of places to buy from. Reverb will not be on my list again.

audiomo

Silver Supporting Member
I hate Reverb more than most people but that being said you should have immediately gone to them at the same time because in this case you KNEW you wanted a refund since the guitar was damaged, that is what is holding this all up.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom