Reverb Locking lever

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mmrxcsr01, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mmrxcsr01

mmrxcsr01 Member

Does anyone have a photo, or drawing, of the lever used to lock the springs in Fender's outboard reverb? Many thanks-

2. roadhog96

roadhog96 Member

I've heard of this contraption but never seen one. Is this something that Fender came up with or is it an aftermarket? I'd like to see this also. I've always wondered about this whenever I had to transport an amp with spring reverb a heard the springs flopping around inside with every bump on the road.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I can take a picture and post next Friday if nobody else steps up.

4. roadhog96

roadhog96 Member

I think everyone here would really appreciate some pictures and maybe any info on this device you might have. I don't think these were very common but I wish I would have known about these years ago I definitely would have had couple of them. Are these still available?

5. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

They are standard in fender reverb units, vintage and reissue. The reverb pan is attached to the front baffle of the reverb unit , suspended by 4 springs.

There is an L shaped arm that when pushed forward and then to the right locks the pan against the baffle board.

The parts are available. I'll try and get pics up tomorrow.

6. roadhog96

roadhog96 Member

I have an original and stock vintage reverb in the bag and your telling me it has one of these devices built into it from the factory. :omg

7. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I think we are talking about the Fender stand alone reverb unit [​IMG]

8. roadhog96

roadhog96 Member

OK that makes more sense because I don't ever remember seeing any kind of locking lever inside when I had it open. Wonder why Fender would have something for the portable reverb units and nothing for the ones in the amps? Both reverb units are the same with springs aren't they? When I heard about this device many years ago they were talking about transporting an amp with reverb and I think it was mentioned it was fabricated but never saw a picture of it. Is it something that can be duplicated easily and adapted to an amp reverb?

9. 900z1

900z1 Member

I know I had an amp with one of these in the past, I just can't remember which amp.
    I'm sure it was an accutronics reverb tank, and it was a 4" lever kind of parallel to the length of the tank with a white plastic tip . the amp was definitely a combo and it was either a PV, Marshall or Fender - that's all I had back then. I remember using it to travel to my brothers place in the country because the roads were so crappy, if I forgot to damp the reverb, I could hear it banging away in the back seat. sometimes I would stop when I started on the dirt road to flip the lever.

CE doesn't list one in the catalog

10. WaltC

WaltC Member

Ampegs used to have models (V4, V40, V2, etc.) that had a built-in reverb locking mechanism, but other than the Fender external reverb locking system that's the only one I know of.

11. mmrxcsr01

mmrxcsr01 Member

Well, good to know I'm not the only one curious here...maybe Fender added it to the outboard reverb with the thought that it might get bounced around a bit more than one in a combo...anyway, if anyone can post a pic, I'd be grateful...

12. JasonG

JasonG Member

Fender Stand-Alone Reverb units had the locking mechanism because the tanks are mounted sideways to the front panel and suspended by 4 springs and sort-of free-floating. They bang around alot when you transport them unless you lock them down and are probably easily
    damaged by rough transport when unlocked.

13. roadhog96

roadhog96 Member

That certainly makes sense but what about amps like the Bandmaster Reverb and Dual Showman Reverb. Their reverbs were mounted sideways to the backside of the front grill.

14. Chris Dolman

Chris Dolman Member

I can see the wisdom of the locking lever although I too have not seen one and most of the part numbers have a 1 as the 6th digit indicating 'no lock'. There's a number of points along the connecting wires between the input/output points on the tank and the hairlike windings on the input/output transducers where metal fatigue and fracture can take place by virtue of the movement of the suspended spring tray relative to the fixed tank. Apparently this is the point at which reverb units fail most commonly. With the tray locked to the tank this movement is eliminated so the connecting wires experience no flexing during transportation minimising metal fatigue although the springs themselves will still be heard to make their characteristic sound when jolted.
    I am trying to source a replacement reverb unit for a Carlsbro Colt 100 Keyboard Mixer Amp and I can't read the part number on the tank. A bit of detective work has enabled me to narrow it down to what I think it might be: 8BB2A1B (it could be 8FB2A1B) but there are, as far as I can tell, about 26 different types for the smaller 9" unit. Can anyone help?