• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverb Offers LOL

Dr Doom

I just have to laugh at some of the guys that send me offers for my gear listings on Reverb. One of my favorite lines is when after they send me a lowball offer and I counter with my 'the best I can do' price, how they'll say that "X" amount "is my limit". As if I'm supposed to then say oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that was your limit. Well OK then, I'll totally let you have it for way too low then! Another favorite is when they try and be manipulative and say things like they're looking at mine and one other one, and they'll take mine if I'll accept their lowball offer, as if I'm supposed to say oh no this guy might buy the other one and not mine, I guess I'll have to agree to his too low price! And then there are the guys that won't give up and keep coming back and coming back trying to beat me down, even though I've stood firm every time with the same 'best I can do' reply to all their messages. :rotflmao :roll

Then there are the guys that will paint themselves into a corner with their bargaining tactics and will shoot themselves in the foot by walking away from something amazing over a small amount of money. For example they'll get within just a few $$ from your best I can do price, and then walk if you don't give in. Understandable if it's something common that's a dime a dozen, but when the item is something rare or truly special with unique features, to walk away from it over just a couple dollars out of stubbornness is baffling. When I'm buying something, if it's something special, rare, unique, etc, price is secondary (within reason). If it's priced a little high I'll usually bite the bullet. I'm not going to let something very cool slip through my fingers over a couple bucks. But again, as a seller you gotta laugh at these guys when this happens :roll

I don't actually necessarily have a problem with any of this. Getting offers is good and I realize a guy's gotta try, can't hurt to ask and all that. And I'm friendly and professional with all of them, even the most annoying ones, but I just had to vent a little and have a laugh LOL.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
This is why I sell instruments on consignment at local music stores.

I have had vendors email me on Reverb for items I had in my watch list with an offer that is between 5% and 10% off asking. That's a first for me...

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
As a buyer, I have my max. If that number doesn't get me the guitar, it doesn't get me the guitar. I have no idea if the seller's minimum is $5 more or $500 more. Likewise, when I'm the seller, I have a minimum that I won't go below. If someone offers me $5 less, I'll sell it to the next guy.

Dr Doom

When it’s just a few dollars, it cuts both ways. They‘re using the same logic you are.
I get your point when it's a seller pricing something annoyingly high. In my case, if anything I price things too low. I price things to sell...for less than all other like listings and recently sold items. And some guy's still want to beat me down on the price :facepalm

indeedido

Reminds me of when I was selling my Hummer H3. Had low low miles and was in incredible shape. Hard to find like that. The guy came from out of state and offered me way less. I countered with a fair price and he came back and offered $200 less and I said no. That pissed me off. He left and 30 minutes later came back and bought it.

Dr Doom

I price my gear fairly and don’t allow the option to make offers.
sales are usually quick and drama free
I price my items at my best price and don't use the 'offer' feature either, but I still get messages with offers. Sometimes guys will message me with their phone number and ask me text them, which is code for let's do the deal separate from Reverb so you can deduct your Reverb fees from the price. Which I will do. I'll text them with the price minus the 8% fee. The buyer also saves $$ in sales tax in this situation (tax and Reverb Fees add a lot to the price). But even with these savings, a lot of them will still ask for the moon and try to get the price down even further

Last edited:

John(aka: Moby Dick)

Silver Supporting Member
I wish there was an incentive for sellers to list realistic prices.
Many of the sellers are merely using Reverb to showcase their gear.

There doesn’t seem to be much motivation to sell which influences other sellers to become deluded on what the gear they are listing is worth.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
As a seller those tactics irk me sometimes. It’s just part of the deal. The ones I don’t care for is the CL guys who show up with less money than agreed or the last minute “will you take 100 less.” Nope .

Dr Doom

Fun fact- You're guaranteed to miss every shot that you don't take.

I've had folks accept low-ball offers on several occasions.
Oh I get it. I don't have any problem at all with any offer. It's the ones that get really silly with it that make me laugh. And even then, I remain professional and courteous. But yeah, I make offers myself, and like you I've had offers accepted where I probably would have ended up coming back and offering a little a little more had they declined

DiPa

Constant GAS
Buyers come from all walks of life. Many a times some sellers will let a piece go just to move it even if it’s a low offer, so they are going to try while hoping. Can’t fault them.

Black Squirrel

Gold Supporting Member
I had one clown today; it offered me $100 less than the listing price with shipping included. As we are finishing up negotiations, he assumes I'm shipping the Amp overnight to him. I give up....

Brian N

Sometimes if I see something that is priced stupidly, I'll offer an equally stupid offer just to cheese them off. For example, a dude was listing a bass in Fair condition for 20% higher than the brand new version of the bass. I offered him 10% of his asking price. I also see lots of people "upgrade" a used guitar and then they want you to pay the Brand New price, plus shipping, plus the cost of the upgrades, plus a small premium for their trouble. They're just greedy. I'll offer them $100 plus shipping.

On yet another item, the guy wanted $300 for a guitar that was readily available brand new for $160. No option to make an offer. I heckled him for a while about it, asking "sooo...do you want to sell this guitar, or is this a stupid-prices-only sort of thing?" He never responded. Then I realized that he lived like 15 minutes away from my parents and was listing it on Craigslist there. I texted and offered him $100 and he was more than happy to do it. Asked my dad and he picked it up for me. Apparently he just really didn't want to ship it.

Doppe1ganger

Yeah, this is typical on any platform that allows the option for offers. I'd rather have that option than not have it though.

I sold something on Reverb not long ago where the guy gave me the same line the OP got. It was something along the lines of "I would really like to buy this, but I cannot spend over X amount, I am sorry! That is my limit!". Regardless of what he said, I sent him a counter offer that was in-between my price and his, and suddenly he had enough money for that. Go figure :rolleyes: lol.

DiPa

Constant GAS
I have been corrected by a Buyer in the past when I accidentally used the wrong term or spec on one of my listing, and i appreciated his feedback.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom