reverb pedal + amp reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gianluigi, Mar 21, 2015.

1. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

I use a super reverb or a deluxe reverb ,sometime I want more ambience and I need a pedal to add reverb to the onboard one .I 'm a set and forget guy and I don't use many effects just an overdrive and till now a carbon copy but I'm bored and tired of the repeats (I like reverb more) .maybe a spring reverb simulator (boss topanga etc) or maybe a different kind of reverb (polara ,catalinbread plate ,tc )
    need help
    thanks

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

how high do you set the reverb on your amp? maybe just bump that up a notch?

3. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

2/3
    but sometime I need a little bit more on fly
    during a ballad or a slow blues
    I play in a trio band

4. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

boss frv-1 is a sick outboard spring reverb sim. pretty flexible as well.

5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

that's a lotta reverb. I'd go for the Subdecay Super Spring Theory.

6. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Do you mean 2-3 on the dial or 2/3rds the way up? If you mean 2/3rds the way up that's a ton of reverb to begin with! I play a Princeton and that thing is swimming in reverb above 3.5 on the dial.

Honestly I think the hall of fame reverb is awesome for the money. To get "better" tones you can shell out for a Wet or Spring Theory, but the HoF has always been good for me.

7. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

2 or 2,5 on pot numbers

8. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Ok, that's a different story. Turn up to 4 or 5.

Regarding the HOF, I have one and the spring reverbs are terrible. I do, however, get a good sim of a Fender reverb with the standard Plate setting.

9. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

If you want ambience to layer on top of your amp reverb, I'd go for something non-spring. Neunaber Wet, Red Panda Context, Mr. Black Supermoon, Digitech Supernatural/Polara, are all good options.

10. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

I agree I think the spring on the HOF is not a very good one at all so I kept looking I ended up with the polara after watching Justnik's review on youtube I went and tried 5 pedals the polara has probably the best spring to my ears.

11. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Flint? I love that 70s mode for ballads. And harmonic trem is a swirling gorgeousness.

12. jordane93

jordane93 Member

You can try an ambient reverb pedal like the Supernatural, Supermoon Chrome, Wet, Polara, etc.

13. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

"Stacking" reverbs can be awkward or glorious. On fender amps, I feel like I can get away with adding a reverb pedal on top of the amp verb so long as the amp's spring verb is a subtle/tone-filler/i.e. around 2.5 or below. If there is a lot of sproing/splash going on, laying on plate, hall, church, etc., just seems to muddy everything up. But if you use amp spring verb, then a spring verb pedal at a more extreme setting, it can produce this kind of broken/uneven/bouncing spring noise, which can be really cool.

I personally need an amp with foot-switchable reverb, hence I modified by Blues Jr. to be so, so that when I engage a more extreme verb like plate, hall, or church, that's all I'm hearing, not a muddy mixture of the two.

But if you don't want different types of verb, just more spring, then I'd probably say just ride the amp knob and see how that works for you. Or maybe upgrade your verb tank for a different feel/length of decay. Fender verbs become a different beast basically once they go past 3, they go from being a tone-filler to being more of an "effect" per se.

I'm a huge reverb guy, can't live without it and several types of it! My next move is the Wet Stereo w/EXP pedal.

14. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

I have a 1966 Super Reverb and a 1965 Princeton Reverb and my Topanga smokes the reverb in both of them.

15. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

If you want ambient, I would point you away from a spring reverb. More pronounced spring reverb gets splashy and drippy, which is cool in and of itself, but not what I think of as ambient. I'd do what Prince says, switch out the amp reverb and add different type of reverb. The Supernatural is designed for big ambient washes, while the Polara can be more subtle. I think the HOF is pretty good, can be had cheap and gives you a lot of flexibility. The Wet is a TGP darling, but you're getting into a different level of money there. If I were to buy something new right now, I'd pick the Polara. The Lexicon algorithms are top class, and I gather it can get close to the Supernatural and do subtle as well. Plus the spring sim is supposed to be pretty good. Spring is my main sound, and personally, nothing beats a real spring. I have the Little Lanilei, which is an 8 inch three spring unit, and just built a Surfy Bear with a 16 inch reverb pan. The latter is an FET version of the '63 Fender Reverb. If you're into spring, go to SurfGuitar101, and read the forums there. The Boss FRV-1 actually comes off pretty well, but the touchstone is the tube '63 Fender Reverb reissue, with some well-known tweaks to get closer to the original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. wetordry

wetordry Member

I use the HOF mini and the reverb parameters it came with. Instead of looking for
    another spring reverb tone to mash in there...I like the sound of my Super's own spring tank alot....but blend in a teeny bit of the Hall's sound for an ambient tone the spring unit will never have.
    Sounds like a super reverb sitting in a church...by not clashing the two you can use less of either.

17. gianluigi

gianluigi Member

this is the way to go in my opinion but how about tc 's switch (I've heard many bad reviews about them)?

18. wetordry

wetordry Member

It's more of a silent electronic switching than a mechanical clicker. I rarely turn it off so it'll likely last forever....seems fine to me. Comes on with the pedalboard and stays on unless I'm fiddling with the other things.
    I like reverb alot, and my super has a Hammond tank that I like, but spring alone isn't exactly what I want and I don't like turning the spring in the amp up high to try and compensate.
    Seems to work well with a few other amps I have as well and it's probably more subtle than I'm making it sound....which is the point.

Basically parroting Hamerman55's post...."If you want ambient, I would point you away from a spring reverb. More pronounced spring reverb gets splashy and drippy, which is cool in and of itself, but not what I think of as ambient."