Reverb Pedal I recommend

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Sep 26, 2005.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hope this is okay, I posted in "Reviews" also, but felt this was also a proper place to post this, since I read a lot of them here after doing a search for reverb pedals here.

I just bought an EBS Dynaverb.

I had been discouraged, after researching reverb pedals...seemed (here and HC User Reviews, plus other forums I visited) that "there are no good ones out there".

I had thought probably the EH Holy Grail was going to be the one I ended up with. I've been playing guitar since the 70's, but always had tube combos, and they always had reverb. I use it sparingly, but always liked a little, and turned it off for some "effects" or songs. I always just used whichever was built-in, and took it for granted pretty much.

It's actually kind of ironic. I read so many conflicting reviews about verb, yet MANY of us guitarists just accept whatever verb the amp comes with, it's ONLY when we actually buy it seperate as a pedal we get all obsessive and picky :)

Recently bought my first head-cab tube amp, a Fender Prosonic with reportedly HOT (+4db) effects-loop and no built-in reverb.
    I tried it at band practice, but for my blues, there are lots of places I really missed it. I actually get inspired by a little reverb...

Tried the HG in the music store, but after getting used to it (after about 10 minutes), using it in the effects loop of a DeVille 4x10, and going back and forth with the DeVilles' own reverb...
    I decided I just didn't like it much. The most annoying thing for me were the reverb "tails" were WAY too long, and they sounded more and more artificial as they built up (from verbing several notes, or when sudden stop playing, the tails are all you hear).

It might have been okay in a band environment, being mostly covered by the band...but. It wasn't musical enough for me. I tried many settings, backing it off, etc. I never got "in a groove" with it.

I asked if they had any other GOOD verbs (did NOT want Boss), and they handed me an EBS Dynaverb. I tried it and I couldn't get a bad sound.
    Really, I had read reviews on HC that complained of noise (in fact NIETHER the reportedly noise HG..at least with some of the units, nor this one made ANY noise I could hear in the effects loop.) etc. but I was not ready for this. It sounded BETTER than the Fenders built-in verb, and in fact, I noticed it sounded better to me than any of my other amps' built-in spring verbs.

It also has a tone control, that makes a difference but in any setting I thought the tone was fine. I did NOT feel that the verb was coloring my sound in any way.

Really, I cannot say enough about this. I took it home and so far have played it for some hours...with my Prosonic, with my MTS3212, and it sounds fantastic. It actually gives me joy to play with it.

Have played it loud, and sounds great. This is one of those pedals that I just liked right off the bat, and am sure I will keep for years. (others like that...Octron, Jekyll & Hyde, Deja Mini-Vibe (though I am getting a Mojo Vibe I have huge hopes for), H2O.)

This one is simple, and I am happy with all the 9 different reverb types. Also it uses standard power (the HG has a special adapter...it is DC 9v center pin negative, but has a special plug...reason being the thing draws like 500mA !! and I guess they didn't want guitarists just plugging in on their pedal "chain" with that kind of draw).

So, for me anyway, THIS pedal is just the thing. It feels solid as can be, and has real heft to it. Seems really well constructed.

2. dave s

dave s Member

You had me interested enough to google the name of the pedal for more details. Then I saw the price. :(

Ouch!

dave

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...THAT'S true, but I looked at it this way,
    I got a fantastic deal on the amp I truly need the reverb for, and would have paid that much and more to get it to have reverb.

In that context, plus the thought of how annoyed and dissatisfied I would have been with the HG (which is not cheap either), or one of the others...I think I made a good choice.

I paid 1750 kroner (norwegian) which is about 270 dollars for it.
    I recently ordered a vibe pedal to a similar price, but where I might use the vibe here and there, I really depend on a little reverb more on than off when I am playing. I never saturate, and hate the sound of too much reverb, but getting it just barely noticeable is part of my sound. Also LOVE the effect in a solo or even rythm part of a song, when I suddenly turn it off and it is like the guitar sound suddenly moved like 10 feet forward.

It's definitely worth it to me.

4. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

I replaced my rack verb with a Dynaverb a couple of years ago.
    Still prefer it to anything I've heard since.

5. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Do you use it in the loop or in the front end of the amp? None of my amps have a loop, I'm wondering how it sounds straight in the front...

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I wish I could find a verb pedal that sounded okay in my Flexi 50. I love the amp so much, but there isn't to many things that works with the effects loop.

7. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

I can get away with using most pedals in front of an amp, but not reverb.
    IMO, reverb sounds much better in a loop, & most of my amps have excellent loops.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Man, I just bought a Dynaverb because of this thread! You're just a bunch of enablers. :D

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Heh, okay...you know the drill, now you tell me about a pedal I hadn't tried, and I go out and buy it.

Seriously, how you liking it?

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think you just have to try it out and see. I am pretty sure it will sound damn good. The only thing is, and the reason amp manufacturers put their reverbs between the output of the channels (in multi-channel) and the input to the power tubes is so you can use it with both channels. Also it is a "delay" type effect and you have to have those after distortion or high gain.

If I didn't have reverb and no effects loop I would try it anyway. I could still use an OD pedal before it, and the amps own high-gain channel when I didn't want verb with it.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

How come? Is the loop too "hot" a signal?
    I was worried about it with my new Prosonic, because the loop there is a "hot" +4db. Folks mentioned it could overwhelm the input to stomp box effects (which are made for guitar signals...like -20db) and cause the bad kinda distortion.

Worked just fine with this pedal so far. Though I have to wait to really crank it at practice tomorrow night...I sure hope it holds okay.

12. OOG

OOG Member

the owner of the store where i work was talking to a sales rep today and i'd read this thread with great interest last night
    the guy on the phone ws reping EBS!
    we ordered 3 of the Dynaverbs
    sure hope we like them

13. landru64

landru64 Member

my dynaverb was plagued with problems. it went back to the company and still wasn't fixed. strange intermittent background noise. i have heard of many others with this problem.... just another point of view!

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

I had one and used it straight into my amp...and while it was pretty good and the best I have tried to date...there was enough tone loss going on for me to not hang onto it...plus it also affected that way my dirt boxes sounded!!

plus for my needs there were only a couple settings that were useable as I generally use verb for some thickening and didn't care for the soupier lots of decay verb settings...YMMV!!

Chow,
    Seegs

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

My milage varied. I just tried it last night with the band, and I'm still loving this unit.

I think there are a number of settings that sound great, but to be honest, I mostly want this as a set and forget...I have enough pedals that I don't really want to spend the night tweaking and all when we play, and with a built-in reverb you get ONE type...spring usually, and it has only the mix control.

I really only felt like this pedal enhanced my tone, I don't hear any tone sucking, but I am using an amp that is new to me at the moment. I do know I played last week dry, and though the tone was great I just wasn't getting it going...last night I played really inspired and it was just night and day. So like the reviews on HC, this pedal helps me make music!

Feeling a lot of pressure no thought that OOG has ordered three just on this thread. Please, try one of them out when you get them and let me know here what you thought of it!