Reverb pedal recommendations?

I'm probably going to pick up a reverb pedal. I've had the HOF, RV6 and am currently using the old big box holy grail.

The Holy grail is good. The hall setting is what I always hear in my head when I think of reverb. But it lacks versatility. You get the one knob, one sound, and it's either none, good, or swallowed in reverb.

There's a verbzilla locally for $80. I haven't tried the polara or supernatural but I've heard great things. I don't get along with the HOF. I have an orange OR15 and it's a darker amp, so the dark reverb doesn't mix well.

And is the mxr better than the rv6? Or would you suggest one of the digitech /hardwire over either of those? I was okay with the rv6. There was something about it I didn't like though. I can't quite describe it.

I have played several, and only have one at the moment, the Walrus Audio Descent. I love it, but will likely upgrade to the Strymon Big Sky for MIDI and more tonal options. Both are highly recommended.

Jord1791

I think it can depend on a lot of things. One would be the style of music you play as well as your budget.I use a boss rv-5 and I also have a wet reverb with the exp controller. I see a lot of boards with the Strymon Big Sky. I've had a Strymon Blue Sky and a HOF in the past. I'd say if you want a little more flexibility, the Wet Reverb is a good one to own. Also, the EXP controller makes it even more flexibility with presets essentially.

Sorry guys, I shoulda specified.

I like the sound of that walrus audio a lot. But it's a bit out of my price range. I'm trying to stay around $150, preferably used.

Uses would range. Sometimes I like to do weird stuff with it, but mostly would just use plate and hall, which is why Im looking at those choices. They all have the "odd" settings like shimmer or cavern, but do the basics pretty well. I'd like a big Sky, but unfortunately I'm married and.. Yeah...

Thanks for your input!

bondieffects

Hall of Fame - RV5
Both are great and will keep you in your price range. I've owned both and loved both. I currently still have my RV5 and use it all the time.

danbond

Polara (V flexible) or Mr Black (less flexible, killer tone and great for dirty tones).

Can't go wrong.

Onemileguy

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Zoom ms70 CDR

Stereo ins and out, tones of choices and combinations and tweak-ability. The unit is solid for feeling and I've had mine for 3 years gigging regularly.

It looks like my local guitar center only carries the mxr and boss. I may give the boss another shot, and return it if I have to for the mxr.

gtrplr71

I had the verbzilla for years it is awesome, one of the best shimmer modes I have seen. That said I have owned HOF not a fan, supernatural another great pedal. I briefly had the RV-6 is was great. But the Polara is the one I have stuck with it is probably one of the best in the biz right now.

Boss Tera Echo is very cool.

Dude that thing is cool. I've wanted one since they came out but can't ever pull the trigger lol. Like reverb and delay got together and dropped acid. I'm looking for a traditional reverb for now though.

I don't like the hall of fame much. It's not that it was a bad pedal, I just didn't like it with my amp. The darker reverb with my already dark OR15 didn't compliment eachother. I'm thinking I'm gonna grab the rv6 or the polara, since the polara seems so well loved.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
Huge fan of both the mxr m300 and the mr black Supermoon.

Last edited:

Dumdeediddle

The Strymon Flint is the only Pedal I have regretted selling. But for quite some time now have used a Keeley 60Ms Abbey Road pedal. What a fine fine sound it is. Along with a few other subtle effects - A really great "emulation"? of the old Dimension D. A nice Slap-back.
Just a really nice, solidly built pedal at a decent price.

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
I used to own a RV-6. It's solid, well built, and capable of achieving great reverb.

BUT - I personally had a hard time dialing in a good spot on the tone knob. I felt that the reverbs were always either a little bit too bright or too dark.

Granted, I was running a Matchless Lightning which is a super bright amp, so that may have had a factor.

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
Here is a thread I started comparing the boss rv6 and digitech rv7. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...erb-with-comparison-to-digitech-rv-7.1692831/

Before the digitech rv7, I had the line6 verbzilla. The verbzilla is a nice pedal, but had some quirks that I didn't like, in that it didn't work on daisy chained power, changed tone before the amp (fine in a loop), and was super heavy. I did like the spring setting a lot. The octo was cool too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom