Reverb pedal sounds like butt on lead channel

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RyanPitch, Sep 10, 2008.

1. RyanPitch

RyanPitch Supporting Member

In the past, I have always played tube heads with built-in spring reverb (Carvin X100b, Rivera KR100 to name a few).

After switching to my Soldano Decatone for the last few months, I just couldn't bear not having reverb any longer so I went out this past weekend and bought a Boss RV-5 pedal. I use it last in my pedal chain but before the input to the amp.

I can dial in a good reverb sound on the clean channel, and then as soon as I switch to a lead/distortion channel, the reverb sounds like complete butt. It's all "gongy" and rattly. It's like when you have a spring reverb amp and you move it around when the power is on - TIMES TEN. JONG GONG BANG SPRANG DING CRONG BONG...

Is that normal? I mean, is that why they make effects loops? Is it always going to sound like crap when I put the pedal in front? Am I screwed with just about any reverb pedal?

2. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

Yep, time based effects are usually no good in front of gobs of gain.

3. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

It all comes down to preference, but if you've always used built in reverb, you're not going to like the sound of a reverb up front. I quite like running my delay pedal out front, and this allows me to skip my loop all together, but it is a much dirtier sound....definitely not for everyone.

Best of luck!

Eric

4. RyanPitch

RyanPitch Supporting Member

How easy is it for a tech to add an internal spring reverb to a head?

(if your answer is, "it's hard" or, "don't do it," then Anyone want to buy a Decatone?)

5. JoeP

JoeP Member

Run it in the loop. I run a reverb pedal in the loop on my SLO, and it sounds great.

6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Loooop it.

Distorted reverb = poop
    Reverbed distortion = alright

Can you assign the reverb to your clean channel only?

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Whenever you are using a distorted channel, and time based effects are in your signal chain from your guitar to the amp, then the repeats will be MASSIVE as well.. It's like sending tonnes of signals to the amp to be distorted, and hence the weird sounding reverb/delays you'll get..
    The solution? Run the reverb pedal in your effects loop!

8. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Definitely have to run stuff like that into the effects loop. Running effects like delay, reverb, or other modulated effects into the front of an overdriven amp would get carried by the overdrive. But I understand what you mean with amps not having built in reverb tanks. I was very close to purchasing a 59 Bassman RI until I realized it didn't have a reverb tank in it. I didn't check if there was an effects loop in the back but the fact that there wasn't one kind of killed the amp for me.