Reverb pedal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by beatlenut, Oct 7, 2005.

1. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I'm looking for a Reverb pedal to use mainly with my acoustic thru a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI with a Boss CE-2 chorus. I would also use it with my electrics with my Traynor YCV80 (just not happy with the amp reverb).

Recommendations out there?

I'm leaning towards a used Digitech Digiverb for $65 shipped, but if you think there are others I should consider, let me know and why!

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

EH Holy Grail........why..?

Inexpensive
    Well put together ( for an EH.. :D )
    Great sound
    Flexible - from subtle to WELL over the top

Why not....
    kinda big!
    Wall wart needed...

I lik emine and can put up with the downsides.\
    cheers

3. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Just go try the EH first. You'll like it! The only thing I don't like about it, as I've posted before, is that you can't use a 9V battery with it.

On the plus side, it sounds great (IMO), it's one of the cheaper reverbs available, and you should be able to try it at your local music store unlike the boutique stuff.

4. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

Actually I had decided against the EH. I've read a lot about it being noisy. I want a quiet pedal that doesn't suck tone.

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The digitech is a great buy for that at 65 bucks. It gets a little too wet and despite what they say, that's no spring reverb. But the plate and hall and room are very useable. That, and it's a lot more reliable than the EH stuff, sadly quality was never EH's strong point.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

I was just using mine about half an hour ago - it's not noisy unless you want insane levels. Suck it and see :D .

Best, Pete.

7. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I too was leary of the HG due to reading about noise problems. A good buddy sent me a brand new one for my birthday 6 months ago and I must say, it is a quite as the come. This has a cardboard box, not the wood one. So, i don't know if they fixed the problem or I just got a good one, but no noise problems al all.

I also tried the Digiverb. Wanted to like it as I use and dig the digidelay...but alas, the D-Verb did not sound good ( discussed here before ) at all with my gear. I think these things are amp dependant as I've heard several players sound great with the Digiverb and I know many here like them. Again...did not do it for me.......the Grail does.

I've also had great luck with Alesis microverb and midi verb ll.

There is a Songworks Little Lanilea spring reverd pedal in the emporium. These have also tweaked my interest. If I was verbless, I might have to check one out. Also, Line 6 has the new Verbzilla that looks pretty cool. HAve yet to try one, but the sound samples ( for what it's worth ) seem good.

8. stevieray

stevieray Member

Yamaha Magicstomp. The old version is only $90 shipped. The verbs are suburb and there is so much more in there. You'd probably end up only using it and your DI. You could spring for the newer AG model but it only adds a couple of features. You'd have to see if it was worth it. For $90 the old one was a no-brainer to me.

9. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I had an AG Stomp with my acoustic before and didn't care for the effects.

UPDATE: Just ordered a used with box Digiverb shipped for $65 in excellent condition from a store.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Good reverb primarily comes only from units s/a Fender's reverb tank, or others with intricate spring-inclusive construction. They tend to sound very good, are somewhat fragile, and expensive. Others like the Digiverb are limited in their abilities, but give some bang for the buck if used for milder purposes. I agree that the Digiverb has only a few semi-realistic applications, but if like me, your needs are few, it's a good deal. The reverse function is cool, although I (as primarily a blues/jazz player) don't know how I can actually inject it into my mix.

11. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

It will be used mainly with my acoustic with just light reverb. Should suit my purposes.

12. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I've not known that to be the case. Particular units maybe. I run mine on the middle position at 10, maybe 11 o'clock.

13. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

thats gay that the holy grail only uses an adapter

14. morgan

morgan Guest

I had a holy grail a few years ago, it was noisy when used in combination with a powerall. On it's own, fine, but when in a chain where any other pedal was using the powerall, a high whine came from it. It didn't start that way, but ended up that way. Great sounding reverb and I might try it again. I've been using the RV-5 and its pretty cold sounding. I may try a verbzilla next week when they're out. Also, dont' forget the EBS dynaverb. Pricey, but gets great reviews, and it's true bypass.

15. tuna

tuna Member

16. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

The early EH Holy Grail pedals were noisy. The new ones aren't so bad.

17. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

yeah, diddo on what everybody said for the Holy Grail, good and bad. it can be a bit noisy, at its extremes, and well there is a loud popping when the footswitch is engaged under high amp volumes but in general:

it as good as any other 100 dollar pedal out there and way better than the digiverb IMO.

you're going to have to compromise somewhere in the tone for reverb that comes in a pedal. for me, i can work around the Holy Grails shortcomings better than i could on the digiverb. but everyone's style is different. if you can't live with some compromise you're going to have to hit up an outboard spring unit, and if you want to talk about inconsistency from one unit to the next, it's time get you get well aquainted with Fender.

18. danut

danut Member

Another vote for the Holy Grail here. Spring emulation is just wonderful for electric suff (very natural and realistic), while the Hall is very good for acoustic stuff (lush and spacious). True Bypass operation is a definite plus and, if you don't go neanderthalian on it, it should last just fine.

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not shilling for them, but recently mentioned finding the EBS Dynaverb. In my opinion miles better than the Holy Grail.

I tried the Grail, has too long a reverb tail that grates after a time, and no way to control it. ON top of that, the pedal is a MONSTER that eats up lik 500mA, has a specialized plug (which to their credit is so you don't just add it to your pedal power supply with all the others) and only two choices (not counting the flange, because it really doesn't sound usable at all) of reverb.

The EBS sounds great. Has a-b-c- settings for each type (room, hall, plate) and mix control AS WELL AS tone control.

The EBS is slightly more expensive than the HG. I think it was well worth it. It is in a class way above the Digiverb in sound quality.

It also handles my +4db effects loop (my Visual Sound H2O, on the delay side doesn't..it bottoms out, runs out of headroom) with ease, and is really adjustable.

Takes normal power supply in.

20. danut

danut Member

How about the tone of the EBS when bypassed? I heard some not so good stories about that:rolleyes: