Reverb Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ronnieanand, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand Member

Hi,
    Please suggest me a good reverb pedal which will not color my tone or make it sound muddy. It just should go well with my existing setup by adding a much larger sound to it. I checkout Electro Harmonix Holy Grail. It's okay but I would prefer more options. No idea about Holier Grail and Holiest Grail is way too expensive for me. Anything else that can give me a real warm and lush reverb. The reverb could be digital but I want it to sound like those reverbs from the vintage amps. Help please.

2. granite

granite Member

Line6's Verbzilla has been mentioned frequently here and on other forums as a top notch digital reverb pedal.

I personally think that reverb "pedals" as a whole are the one effect that has been sorely overlooked by boutique builders. I think the choices are real limited. Don't we have the technology to build a better verb pedal?

I wish Bjorn at BJF would make it a pet project of his to make an
    amazing reverb effect in a small pedal design. I'd pay top $ for that.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Best I've found, EBS Dynaverb. I'v eposted many times here on it so if you do a search you'll see why I like it so much. Or check out Harmony Central.

Completely agree with you, the Holy Grail was a real dissapointment when I tried it out, after reading about so many people saying it was great.
    Reverb tails were uncontrollable and for my taste, way too long.

EBS has more features, more control, even a tone control.

4. Lefty

Lefty Member

I've got a Verbzilla being delivered today, more news as it happens. But I'm with Granite, verb seems to be overlooked and overshadowed by delay. If someone could expound on the Little Laneli verb, and make it better...

You really can't beat a Fender Verb tank, I've owned my share in the past, but they always end up getting sold due to lack of use and tone degradation when used in the front of the amp. Now that I have an amp with a FX loop, that's where I plan to put the verb.

5. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

Im also looking for a verb pedal.But my amp has no effects loop so that may end the search right there.Ive tried to use short delay as a kind of echo/reverb and it isnt to bad but just a plain old reverb would serve me better.Jason

6. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking as well. Couldn't find anything I liked. The reverbmate sounds good, but don't think it will work in a pedal board situation with an amp switcher. I ended up getting an SIB Mr. Echo used cheap and it (except for an occasionaly noisy switch) has worked well so far for a slapback kind of echoey verb thing. But I'd still like to find a really nice verb pedal.

7. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have had a verbzilla for a couple of months and it's the best I have played, compared to any Boss offering, Digitech Digiverb, and Electro Harmonics. Using mostly in spring mode, but the rest are great as well. i do not notice much coloration, but it depends on your setup (loop or in the front) and how many pedals you use, of course. I don't use many pedals.

8. Wooley

Wooley Member

Does no one here like the Holy Grails?

9. exodus

exodus Member

I like both the Holy Grail and Digiverb. Both are good for adding some depth... don't know if the would do for the verb purist, but to open things up a bit, I think they are both great. Yea, the trail is a bit long on the Holy Grail, but EH stuff tends to push sounds to new limits in general. I didn't like the Boss stuff at all.

I would also like to see a few more reverb offerings--if you can make a good delay, it seems a good digital/analog reverb isn't too radical a circuit change, but what do I know.:NUTS

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Reverbs are one of THE most difficult pedals to make.

Think about it...think about the random nature, the cancellations, the stereo receivers (our ears) catching sound waves bouncing...hitting you after the main sound...the different surfaces and absorptions...

The way our ears and brains process reverb is really complex. To trick us into hearing it as being "lifelike" is just hard.

Compare that to distortion, echo and delay, chorus (which doesn't occur that much in real life), flanging (same), and I think the only thing that comes near is vibes...and even they are seriously simplified in relation to reverb.

To tell the truth, the more I learn about it (there is a really nice, small tutuorial on it in the Roland VS series recorders manuals) the more amazed I am that we have any verb pedals at all.

I didn't hate the HG right off the bat. At the very first I liked it, but within about ten minutes of playing (admittedly...playing alone, in a band setting maybe it would have been perfect) alone I very soon tired of the long verb tails. I didn't like at all the fact that it doesn't take standard 9 vdc power. Also no control of tone. But would have overlooked that if I could have controlled or had optional types of verb. I have spent countless hours alone playing guitar with reverb, to me this one didn't egg me on like a good verb can. Also I went back and forth them to the built-in one on the DeVille and just no comparison.

I did the same with the EBS Dynaverb and actually liked the Dybaverb better than the DeVille's verb, better than all except maybe my MTS3212.

Since I am mainly playing my DeVille, and they decided not to allow foot pedal OR even amp switchable verb (you can only turn the knob from 0-10, and it is touchy. They have no switch even on the amp to just turn it on and off, in case you want to play dry, and also have a good amount dialed in. really dumb) I just keep the Dynaverb on my pedalboard. It has lots of types and rooms...tone control, mix...and more features I haven't tried. It can be dialed in in severa types to sound great alone, or in a group.

Just my opinion.

11. g-nem

g-nem Member

I've always wished someone made an aux-send pedal, you know so you could use rackmount processors that would mess with your tone if you plugged straight in. And then you could switch it out when you want. A lot of guys use the lexicon lxp1 and the alesis nanoverbs, but I don't like what they do to my dry signal. And don't trust their bypasses.

12. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I found the HG was amp picky. Did not work well with my Black Cat, and had a noticable hiss when on. I guess I'd rather go the echo route until something better comes along.

13. Lution

Lution Member

I like mine very much. Very simple. I usually keep it on the Hall setting.

14. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Any thoughts or expirience with the songworks Little Lanelei reverb pedal?
    It is a TRUE 8" spring inside of the pedal with a remote switch, so as not to induce the "tank crash"
    I don't hear to much about it here, but boy am I interested in one!
    I have heard that it is subtle, but TRUE spring effect in a pedal really sounds appealing to me,
    How about anyone else?
    I'm just scared to drop the $ for one without some kind of feedback on it. I know there is a review for it on H/C, but I really trust this site for accurate info.
    Fire away...

Best regards,
    Mass

15. exodus

exodus Member

Not to nit pick, but are you talking about reverb in general or things like digital concert hall reverb, etc, where a box is simulating a room? Otherwise, things like spring reverb seem pretty simple.

I thought most reverb pedals were based on delay circuits, where the delay time is really short and repeats are tweaked to fake reverb. Again, I barely know what I'm talking about.

16. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I was referring to the fact that with the actual 8" spring in the reverb pedal, your guitar signal does not have to pass through a "digitized" circut. I am one of those old purists, so don't mind me. I try to keep my signal path as unprocesssed as possible. That is why I was asking about the spring loaded pedal.

Cheers,
    Mass.

17. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

18. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

The Reverbamate by Vanamps is by far the best reverb pedal I have ever heard. I've had a Boss RV-5, thought it was unvelievably synthetic. Had a Holy Grail, sounded pretty good but man did make a lot of noise. Finally I tried the Reverbamate and was blown away. It's not cheap but it's really worth it. Basically it's a Fender tank in pedal form. It's an analog spring unit and is about as vintage sounding as you can get. I have a Marshall 1974x and loved the sound but always wished the amp had some 'verb. This thing was the answer. It's awesome.

19. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

The Digitech Digiverb has a great spring reverb setting.

It's a great pedal.

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good point...yeah I was basically thinking about reverbs that electronically try and recreate a room. Not necessarily digital, but without the use of springs.

Actually, I have always wondered who, and HOW they came up with spring reverb in the first place. I can't see a logical jump "well...I want to recreat sound bouncing off walls, hmmm...I wonder if I send the signal down some springs, it might do that"...the only thing I can think is, with larger (size they ended up using and above) springs, when you pluck them...the do kinda sound reverby..

Anyway, springs are also doing the random thing, and I still think it is one of the hardest things to recreate electronically.

You might be right that some are just short delays, but again the EBS and Holy Grail don't sound to me like "just" that. They may be, but there is still even in that scheme way more complexity than say...and echo or delay, EVEN with "tape sound" EQ on the delays, etc. They are still distinct delays or echos of the original signal.

I could be totally wrong too by the way, I'm no expert, just I think it is one of the hardest to do WELL, in that it really does sound like a room, hall, plate, or spring.

The fact that there aren't very many good reverb pedals around kinda supports that.