Reverb policy change?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by WhiteStrat, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

That's what the feedback ratings are for

2. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

You still have a return privilege if the guitar isn't as described.

There is no such thing on Reverb or EBay as "no returns." The as-is policy on both (if Ebay even has one now) is that there are no returns without a reason - ie "this thing doesn't work" or "there was damage to the guitar that was not covered in the photos or description" (etc.).

All this does is dissuade people who want to return something because they don't like it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. WhiteStrat

WhiteStrat Supporting Member

I still don’t know if I’d want to fight that fight.

James824 likes this.
  4. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

What do you use instead of paypal...this worries me too, 180 days is BS. I've been selling more and more on CL - in between all the crazies are some people that actually want what you're selling - face to face, cash, all good.

5. caldera

caldera Member

You can return an As-Is item if it's faulty or misrepresented.

6. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

I also would not buy a high ticket item on Reverb without some return option. Typically, I would expect to pay a bit more for the returnable item. Otherwise, on Reverb, I would simply look for something described as Mint. Those are almost never as described, and thus almost certainly returnable. And for what it’s worth, in the few transactions I’ve done, I’ve never returned anything, even though I’ve received a few items that had problems that I worked out with the seller.

7. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

And any decent seller would. I have an as-is returns not accepted policy because I don't want to be the source for someone's curiosity or buyer's remorse but I surely stand by my items.

JukeBoxRat and TheWayfarer84 like this.
  8. bobwl

bobwl Member

Exactly. I started to do that because I got tired of people buying pedals and what not, then returning it just because they didn't like it. I still accept returns on stuff that isn't working when it arrives. Only couple times, I've had people say it wasn't working and return the item, and I've tested it and it works. I usually take a video and send them the video showing it is working, then hold back some of the money on the refund. On big ticket items (amps, guitars, etc) I will go ahead and pay for seller's protection. I've had that save me more than once when an amp arrived with issues. Reverb steps in and organizes and pays for the repair.

The As-Is thing has always been there. I'm guessing Reverb was getting complaints because a seller could select it but it would only be listed if you clicked the "shop policies" tab. Now they have changed it so they just show it in BIG GIANT letters on the main listing.

WhiteStrat likes this.
  9. James824

James824 Supporting Member

A few months ago, I sold a Martin D18 via the Martin forum.
    Talked with the buyer, he checked my references, sent me a check. Check clears, guitar ships. He receives, inspects and plays..deal done, everyone satisfied.

added plus, no fees.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    WhiteStrat likes this.
  10. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

It's been there all along. Now, it's just bold.

11. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The problem with "The customer is always right" is that...you're not always the customer.

12. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

My Reverb shop has a one day return policy, a 15% restocking fee and all shipping is on the buyer. Unless the item not as described, damaged, etc of course.

If you’re going to buy to try, I’m taking a cut for the hassle.

If you want bombproof return policies - go pay new prices at amazon or musicians friend. If you buy used from an individual and the guitar, amp, pedal doesn’t suit you - do what normal decent people do and sell it down the line.

James824 and TattooedCarrot like this.