Reverb problem on Cornford Hurricane

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MK50H, Mar 20, 2006.

1. MK50H

MK50H Member

Hi, I have a Cornford Hurricane that has rarely been used, and I got it new. I was gonna sell it but had no takers, so I decided it should earn its keep.
    Now I realise that the on-board reverb don't seem to be working :BITCH

I have checked the footswitch & cable. They seem to be switching just fine.

When I turn the reverb pot to max, and operate footswitch (whilst playing), I don't get reverb. However the tone does seem to get brighter/darker.

Hopefully this is a simple problem, anyone got any ideas what to check?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Try changing the tube. It should be a 12AT7 (though Cornford have used 12AX7A's for reverb). Barring that, have you tried contacting the dealer?

3. MK50H

MK50H Member

Thanks, I'll try and get a 12AT7. As for the dealer, they are now more than a 1000 miles away.

At least I live in the sun now :D

4. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

could be the reverb pan ..... cheap fix ....if you have another combo around, just unplug it's reverb and test the Hurricane with it.....it may be mismatched and not sound perfect but if there's reverb, it's the pan.

Andy

5. MK50H

MK50H Member

Great idea, I'll see what I can track down with friends.

Thanks

6. MK50H

MK50H Member

OK, I got this fixed. I thought I should post in case someone else has a similar problem.

The solution was to replace the reverb driver tube (V3), I put in a JJ ECC83S and it all came back to life.

The slightly strange thing is that the other tubes (various 12AX7's) I tried all seem OK in V1, sio it seems like the Cornford only likes the JJ for some reason.

I'm not too sure why this worked, and would like to know :( If anyone has a theory about why this worked, I'd be very interested to hear it.