Reverb Question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PUCKBOY99, Aug 18, 2005.

1. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

SO.........I bought this Fender '63 Reissue Reverb unit. By the time it gets to me, it has a few problems

O.K., I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt that it got bounced around in shipping.

Anyway, one of the springs broke off......I'm looking for replacements & I can go with the direct replacement 2-spring tank or for a couple bucks more, get the 3-spring version.

My question is....is there a noticeable difference between 2 & 3 springs? It's only a matter of a few dollars difference, so the cost isn't a factor...but is there a major sound difference?

I would imagine the 3 spring has a fuller rounder sound, but what the hell do I know??????? :D

2. PUCKBOY99

...................ANYONE?:rolleyes:

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I think your assessment is correct but there are people who don't like the 3 spring units, go figure!;)

As always, there's absolutely NO consensus on tone. You'll have to check it out for yourself.:dude

4. PUCKBOY99

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the response....can't wait for those tubes;)

Someone on another Forum made a good point also, saying sometimes making that type of change isn't a good thing. The circuitry was built around a 2-spring box, so I should probably stay with that.

I think I'll just call Fender & grab a replacement......maybe down the road, I'll experiment with a 3-springer. They aren't very expensive, so...........

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I don't buy the argument that the units were designed with the 2 spring units in mind. It reminds me of the rhetoric that new amps are voiced for "third world tubes" (rather than NOS tubes) which is humorous at best.;)

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I swaped a 3 spring reverb into my Vibrolux put the old stock one away. It sounds fine a little denser maybe a bit smoother. I would not switch back. You can get Accutronix reverb tanks from Mojo Musical Supply like you said they are relitively cheap.

7. PUCKBOY99

HAHAHAHA......just ordered a 3-springer from my buddies over at Mojo Tone.

$30.00

Not a bad price at all......if it doesn't work, it's not like the 2-springers are rare or anything! :D

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I'll bet it would be easy to remove the 3rd spring:)

9. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

10. PUCKBOY99

Now wouldn't that be something....stand there pulling on it with all my might & it not budging!

Finally, it snaps & me standing there looking like I just screwed a slinky!!!!:D

11. PUCKBOY99

12. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    In have replaced a few Fender tanks over the years, always with 3-spring (9-series) Accutronics units. Each owner was really pleased with the results. The only boo-boo occured when I typo'd an order and got the long delay unit as opposed to the medium. Interesting sound, but not very usable for guitar, IMO.

Dave Funk used to run two 9-series tanks in series in his amps - claimed the tone was "almost as good as a plate". No way to verify the claim, but I'd be interested in experimenting with the concept some time.

Too many projects, not enough time...
    -Darren

13. PUCKBOY99

Yeah, it seems that they aren't very pricey & might be worthy of experimenting with.

For right now though, I'd like to get this up & running & then compare it with the Hughes & Kettner Replex, which is a pretty cool, if not expensive, delay pedal....the reverb is lacking but still o.k.

Running the Fender on one spring actually didn't sound horrible...I'm interested to hear it in proper working order.