• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverb raises fees from 3.5% to 5%

beeswax75

Sold a cheap Cordoba classical for $240 on CL last night. No way I was getting a penny more on reverb. So another big savings regarding fees, etc.
So far CL is killing it for me since moving there.

TrueFifth

Time for a properly designed, fair, cost effective TGP alternative to Reverb?

TGP just LOVES getting into squabbles between buyers and sellers. I'm sure they can do it all for free with just a mod or two.

Nevertheless, this IS a moment of opportunity for TGP, if they could gather some investors and make a more Reverb like international marketplace.

Who is running TGP or music.enthuseddigital.com ?

RetVet2018

Prove that happened. I'm thinking it's a rarity.

What's with your unnecessary hostility? It's almost as if compelled by a guilty conscience.

Anyway, the fried pedal situation happened to me on eBay. I still had a brand new, sealed pedal that I never got around to opening, it was beyond the return period, and I wanted to sell to use the money toward something else.

I sold the pedal to some clown who received it, and then filed a complaint how it didn't work on the exact last day of the 30 day return period via eBay. My saving grace: he was such a moron that he admitted that he used it a lot, gigged with it, and it had worked but that he used different power supplies with it. He was so entitled that, despite this, he wanted a ReFuNd. Somehow, he figured, that because he'd broken the pedal that it was now my problem, but fortunately eBay sided with me due to his admissions. So, to you, Thesleepstalker, it happens. It's just that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a moron buyer admit their wrongdoing, and the seller ends up stuck with a once working but now busted pedal.

What's with your unnecessary hostility? It's almost as if compelled by a guilty conscience.

Anyway, the fried pedal situation happened to me on eBay. I still had a brand new, sealed pedal that I never got around to opening, it was beyond the return period, and I wanted to sell to use the money toward something else.

I sold the pedal to some clown who received it, and then filed a complaint how it didn't work on the exact last day of the 30 day return period via eBay. My saving grace: he was such a moron that he admitted that he used it a lot, gigged with it, and it had worked but that he used different power supplies with it. He was so entitled that, despite this, he wanted a ReFuNd. Somehow, he figured, that because he'd broken the pedal that it was now my problem, but fortunately eBay sided with me due to his admissions. So, to you, Thesleepstalker, it happens. It's just that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a moron buyer admit their wrongdoing, and the seller ends up stuck with a once working but now busted pedal.

How hard was that? You proved it. At least your case. I haven't bought used gear since the last century with the exception of one guitar which is still in my possession so I have a guilt free conscience. I've never returned a purchase in my life. I think you should probably get out of the business. It seems to be making you bitter.

Last edited:

RetVet2018

How hard was that? You proved it. At least your case. I haven't bought used gear since the last century with the exception of one guitar which is still in my possession so I have a guilt free conscience. I've never returned a purchase in my life. I think you should probably get out of the business. It seems to be making you bitter.

I didn't prove anything. The moron buyer proved it with his own words.

Also, if you've never had a transaction go bad, then what could you possibly have to say to others that have? It's frustrating when someone tries to pull one over on you. It seems to me you like to inject your "two cents" into topics when you don't have "two cents" to start with.

gitapik

Platinum Supporting Member
I both buy and sell on Reverb. Here’s my Buyer’s Tale:

I retired from my NYCDOE teaching career in January. Promised myself when I first started there that I’d keep playing and buy myself a primo guitar when I retired. A gift to myself.

I found the one I wanted on Reverb. Private seller. Very nice guy. $4k. I’d have gone for it, but then I factored in the taxes and nixed the deal.

And I’m pretty sure that the price will go up, post July 31st, to compensate for the raised sellers fee.

So Reverb and the seller lost a buyer. Once I saw that the price was coming close to buying locally from a vendor who I know and can see when I want to, I figured I’d do that instead.

Bottom line for me is that I’ve seen Reverb as a place to buy good used gear at an affordable price. Teachers don’t make a ton. These moves are chipping away at that incentive. I’ll keep looking there for deals, but will think thrice before pulling the trigger, now. They’ll get less business from me.

I didn't prove anything. The moron buyer proved it with his own words.

Also, if you've never had a transaction go bad, then what could you possibly have to say to others that have? It's frustrating when someone tries to pull one over on you. It seems to me you like to inject your "two cents" into topics when you don't have "two cents" to start with.

I've got way more than 2 cents. All I do is read the stories from both sides and laugh. Seems like a terrible way to do things.

beeswax75

Yeah the sale tax was the real killer, this is just vinegar in the wound. They'll make they bed they lie in. How many cliches can I pack in one paragraph?

Personally sold over $400 worth of stuff laying around on CL since the announcement, and got 90% market rate on most stuff and 100% market rate on the one guitar. I know it's peanuts for them, but that's a handful of auctions not listed on their site, and all revenue matters. I sell/have sold a lot of expensive guitars on reverb, too.

Maybe now they will actually hear us loud and clear, and we can shrink together?

I disagree. If this results in reduced sales and revenue, we'll see changes.
The only way nothing changes, on their end, is if we all maintain our same buying and selling behavior on the site.

We'll see. I think most people will be right back on there after some complaining.

beeswax75

Over 1.5%?

For me, in the past year, it's over 4% due to the sales tax issue. Then the cost of shipping increasing, etc.
As mentioned many times in the thread, a 1.5% final selling fee is a 43% increase over the 3.5%. Rate of change is what matters. They also upped the max fee from $350 to $500, another 43% rate of change increase. I sell expensive guitars on there.

For the math to work, buyers are going to have to pay a lot more, and I'm not sure they can en masse.

sleeperaxe

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve always had good experiences with Reverb. Definitely sounds like some others have not. The sales tax (which is clearly not Reverb’s fault) is a much bigger deal to me than this.

Ebay is fine, but Reverb is clearly better in my opinion. I think they should be able to charge more. Fully understand why some might not want to use it anymore, but I still will.

One thing about Reverb that is really nice is the discounted shipping. Shipping a guitar through Reverb is always cheaper than just doing it yourself, unless I’m missing something, which I may be.

Anyway, no big deal to me. Though I still think it’s tone-deaf to do this in the middle of a pandemic and recession.

For me, in the past year, it's over 4% due to the sales tax issue. Then the cost of shipping increasing, etc.
As mentioned many times in the thread, a 1.5% final selling fee is a 43% increase over the 3.5%. Rate of change is what matters. They also upped the max fee from $350 to $500, another 43% rate of change increase. I sell expensive guitars on there.

For the math to work, buyers are going to have to pay a lot more, and I'm not sure they can en masse.

I still think everyone will be right back there.

gitapik

Platinum Supporting Member
“Yeah the sale tax was the real killer, this is just vinegar in the wound“

That’s my thinking. I agree that the added sellers fee is small. It’s more the general trend away from a site where musicians, who don’t inherently make a lotta money, can go to get a better deal.

I sell stuff on CL. Much of the time I look at it like trawling for deep water trout. Put the line out and forget about it for the most part.

There are problems w CL. As was mentioned: if you’re not in a highly populated area, you’re at a disadvantage. And as a buyer you’ve got no recourse if the goods fall apart on you. As a seller; I arrange a common meeting place. Don’t want strangers in the house. Especially for a high priced item. But as a buyer, I’m going to want to try out that expensive amp or guitar first.

There’s also the mindset on CL. I could put up an item for $500, and it’s a GREAT deal...and guaranteed more than one person will offer $250. Which means I have to ask for $1000. Which lessens my chance of getting a serious buyer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom