• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverb raises fees from 3.5% to 5%

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
I doubt most people have incorrect power supplies at this point. It's been pretty universal for a long time.
No. People are still plugging 9VAC plugs into 9VDC pedals just like they have since the days of Alesis, later, Line 6.
1. Reverb is a money-losing business (Etsy said so last year).
You keep saying that, but those numbers are before Reverb forced every user onto their Payments, and in the process, now pockets the fees previously taken by Paypal. What's 2.5% of everything that sells on Reverb?

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Guys, on a 3k guitar, thats $150. :rolleyes:
More than fair for the service. If you can't afford
that, you are probably either buying beyond your means, or did to aquire the guitar you are selling.
Think its to high? Start a service and see how easy it is!

RetVet2018

that, you are probably either buying beyond your means, or did to aquire the guitar you are selling.

Yeah! $150 is chump change! What's that get you nowadays? Some candy cigarettes and a soda pop?

In reality, some of us don't like blindly throwing away money in the name of fees. Craigslist is free. While the audience may be smaller, is Reverb worth $150 in your scenario? How about a guitar that's twice as much? With Reverb, if you ship your guitar and it gets damaged or the buyer discovers buyer's remorse, is it worth that potential stress? Can you be sure that things will be resolved with the assistance of awesome customer service?

gitapik

...Honestly, I don't see how this isn't a conscious effort to (1) make more money per transaction, and (2) thin out the market by discouraging small players, hobbyists, etc and thus reducing competition for the big guys.
+100

The smaller sellers are suffering as it is on the original Etsy due to their inability to compete with the larger retailers foregoing shipping costs. Both within and outside of the site.

I’m wondering if it makes more “business sense”, on Etsy’s side, to just figure the smaller players aren’t worth the time and expense.

Bottom line to all of this (for me) is that the main reason for my attraction to the site from the start is being eroded away. That some people don’t think that’s that big of a deal is indicative of the general mindset and actions thereof.

gitapik

I just checked their page with the fee listings- if it's something that they're rolling out, it's likely that it's not up there yet. So I'm not denying it, but I can't confirm it at this point.
The changes go into effect August 1st, ccording to the email sent out.

Each increase brings it closer to new and less likely to make a sale.
Yep, that's the obvious point that so many are missing in this thread. Along with the preposterous sales tax on used items, it is a lot more difficult these days to buy and try, then sell if you don't like it (and not lose your shirt). I'm glad that I've already sold everything I wanted to sell. Reverb can go and pound sand with their 'new value proposition'.

scott

Silver Supporting Member

It is 5% on the sale but they make you use their payment system as well and I think that's another 2.7%. So its really 7.7%. Its's 3.7% for International orders so between 7.7% and 8.7%. Im Canadian and if I get paid in USD the bank takes another 2% for exchange. basically 10%. $3000 guitar is $300 in fees all told.
Honestly, thats not too bad but most of my guitars have sold in the emporium so it's not too bad but the fees are jacking up sale prices for the buyers. I add shipping on reverb but include it in the emporium.
Ill be looking for alternatives. Something will come up, it always does.

LordThurisaz

Yep, that's the obvious point that so many are missing in this thread. Along with the preposterous sales tax on used items, it is a lot more difficult these days to buy and try, then sell if you don't like it (and not lose your shirt). I'm glad that I've already sold everything I wanted to sell. Reverb can go and pound sand with their 'new value proposition'.
Exactly.

Tag

Yeah! $150 is chump change! What's that get you nowadays? Some candy cigarettes and a soda pop?

In reality, some of us don't like blindly throwing away money in the name of fees. Craigslist is free. While the audience may be smaller, is Reverb worth $150 in your scenario? How about a guitar that's twice as much? With Reverb, if you ship your guitar and it gets damaged or the buyer discovers buyer's remorse, is it worth that potential stress? Can you be sure that things will be resolved with the assistance of awesome customer service?

Twice as much? So $300 on a 6k guitar?
More than fair for the service. Its a business guys. They are there to make $$$.

Ryan x Decent

Eh, using Reverb as a way to "try out" instruments seems kinda like part of the problem in the first place. Hopefully this move can wittle down those types of transactions for the legitimate buyers and sellers.

leshogan

First I'm seeing this; and I sell there.... Evidently not too often!

Yet.... Most of my sales have been guitars of $300 or over. Reverb has their financing deal which most use. I sell As-Is w/no returns unless misrepresented. Never a return yet...

Only thing that sucks about Reverb is having to wait to be paid. Reverb isn't the swiftest in acknowledging package tracking. It's not a business for me, just a chance to sell some nice gear I no longer have daily interest in.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member

Eh, using Reverb as a way to "try out" instruments seems kinda like part of the problem in the first place. Hopefully this move can wittle down those types of transactions for the legitimate buyers and sellers.

It’s not really a problem if you’re buying, trying, and then selling on your own... but if you’re buying, trying, and returning, then a pox on your house.

Codyyy

I can’t believe how much publicity this has gotten. I’m on a Facebook group and now I’m getting alternate websites to sell gear because of this.

RetVet2018

Twice as much? So $300 on a 6k guitar?
More than fair for the service. Its a business guys. They are there to make $$$.

You know it’s not just 5%, right? Plus, one person’s “fair” is another person’s “unreasonable.” Also, when I choose to sell my gear, I’m going to try to get as much as I can. A business’s fees will factor into that. In my case, I factored it and decided “nope.”

Tag

You know it’s not just 5%, right? Plus, one person’s “fair” is another person’s “unreasonable.” Also, when I choose to sell my gear, I’m going to try to get as much as I can. A business’s fees will factor into that. In my case, I factored it and decided “nope.”

Cool! You are free to do that. When I sell on TGP I donate money every time as well. I can understand both sides. I try to get a fair price, but I'm definitely not one to try and get every last penny. Maybe thats why my stuff always sells really quick.

Sweetwater has a very rudimentary free classifieds on their website might be worth checking out.

Indeed, although Sweetwater's marketplace exists, I have yet to make a sale there. Sweetwater is fully aware of Reverb's new policy, however.

Top Bottom