Reverb sales?

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Man, it seems Reverb prices are often higher than Ebay. Just wondering if anyone has had success buying/selling there for a reasonable price?

I assume you can likely sell something for more there than here, but can you find reasonable prices like you can here on their site?

Just curious. Not bagging on Reverb. Nice to have another option. Just really surprised by some of the prices there.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I buy and sell all over the place- reverb is great because the fees are less than eBay. I also feel Reverb moves quite a lot slower than eBay... But the market audience is smaller as its a newer site. Their pricing guide is fairly accurate in my mind- but some use that to sit at the top of The market.

I've had gotten some good deals on reverb, better generally better on eBay.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I've bought three amps off Reverb--a Mesa Satellite, a 71 Pro Reverb, and a Reinhardt Talyn. The prices were all fine.

Thinsocks

Silver Supporting Member
I've found the opposite. I feel like the prices on Reverb are lower then Ebay, or at least that's the case with the things I've bought on Reverb so far. I picked up a nice 1964 Princeton Reverb for $1300 shipped. Try to find that on Ebay. I've also had better luck with making offers on Reverb. They almost always get accepted.

thelatrobe33

I sold my first guitar on there a couple weeks ago. It sold in 3 days at a fair price. I've not bought anything on there yet, but I'm sure I will. I'll still buy on ebay too, but selling will be all on Reverb now.

Reverb pricing is all negotiable. That's the beauty of the site. You can haggle a little and get to where you're both comfortable. Their fees are much less than ebay, which is great for sellers.

Last edited:

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
One of the things I like about Reverb is the price posted is the most I might pay.

Heinz57Pep

Reverb pricing is all negotiable.
One of the things I like about Reverb is the price posted is the most I might pay.
Yep, it's a negotiation site versus an auction site (what eBay used to be). So, price-wise, it's a race to the middle versus a race to the top, which is why the listing prices are high. As a seller, why would you undershoot your opening salvo in a negotiation?

jdogric12

I signed up a while back, but just last week made my first transaction, a purchase. It went great, aside from receiving a ciggy-stinking piece of otherwise fine gear - my own fault for forgetting to ask. The price was totally reasonable, and definiteyl better than I'd expect on ebay. I hope they keep growing and give ebay some serious competition.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
Man, it seems Reverb prices are often higher than Ebay. Just wondering if anyone has had success buying/selling there for a reasonable price?

I assume you can likely sell something for more there than here, but can you find reasonable prices like you can here on their site?

Just curious. Not bagging on Reverb. Nice to have another option. Just really surprised by some of the prices there.
I'm finding the same thing as I shop for Fender Teles...WAY overpriced and private sellers are horrible at responding to simple questions. I've even had 2 who wanted to deal off reverb to save on fees.

scotticus

I've found the opposite. I feel like the prices on Reverb are lower then Ebay, or at least that's the case with the things I've bought on Reverb so far. I picked up a nice 1964 Princeton Reverb for $1300 shipped. Try to find that on Ebay. I've also had better luck with making offers on Reverb. They almost always get accepted.
This. Much better experiences with Reverb than ebay. I will handle all my online buying/selling there before going anywhere else.

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
I don't even list gear on Ebay anymore. Its Reverb and here on the Emporium. Things have been moving much faster (about 3 days on average) on Reverb than on Tire Kicker Central...er I mean the Emporium.

I don't see where prices are higher than in comparison to Ebay (or the Emporium for that matter). Prices are almost always higher on Ebay practically by default because sellers are trying to offset the higher fees.

Hot Rats

I bought my Krautster on Reverb and was very impressed in every regard. I paid less there than I've seen them listed here. Haven't used E-Bay to buy a guitar in a couple of years so I'm not sure about price compatibility, I also listed a couple of items there that ended up selling here, so I have no experience selling at Reverb.

I've sold about ten items on Reverb in the last four months. I love it. As a seller, I often get close to ebay pricing, if I'm patient. By ebay pricing, I mean the average selling price on an item over a couple months...not the chuckleheaded sellers who list at about 20% over top dollar as a way to inflate the market. I price towards the top end, but if something sits for a month I'm definitely in the mood to negotiate.

I've also found the buyers to be much more informed on Reverb as opposed to ebay. So, yeah, I'm a fan.

80tiger

Great info folks. I've not bought or sold anything there but prices seem higher for what I've been gassing.

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
What I've found interesting is that Reverb has that blue book-style price guide at the bottom of all their listings, that shows the general price range for that particular item, and eight times out of ten, the items I've been interested in have been listed considerably higher than the "average going rate, even on the highest side of the spectrum," of that price guide. No thanks. As a result, I've only bought one item on Reverb so far.

whitehall

Reverb is very spotty for me. I have sold guitars there, but quite often they sell on ebay much faster even though I raise the ebay prices to cover the fees. I find the forums have too many jerk offs these days to bother with very much. Reverb still has way too much overpriced Gbase type listings from dealers .

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
I've also found the buyers to be much more informed on Reverb as opposed to ebay. So, yeah, I'm a fan.
I've found that to be the case as well. People have just bought without a lot of questions asked. When questions have been asked they're tell tale of someone who knows what they want but just needs to confirm details....not typical tire kicking. People who know what they're looking at, know they want it, and buy with minimal hassle and drama involved. Works for me. Everyone I've dealt with there who's made offers has been really fair and easy going as well.

Reverb is very spotty for me. I have sold guitars there, but quite often they sell on ebay much faster even though I raise the ebay prices to cover the fees. I find the forums have too many jerk offs these days to bother with very much. Reverb still has way too much overpriced Gbase type listings from dealers .
Things sell on Ebay faster because it has a lot more recognition and traffic than Reverb or forums. People also might be willing to pay a little bit more for the added familiarity of Ebay coupled with their perceived "safety net" for them as a buyer if something goes wrong or they have buyer's remorse and want to jerk the seller around.

I agree with your forums comment, although I still list here on the Emporium. You'll notice a lot of my closed selling threads say "Sold - on Reverb" Too many tire kickers and "I'll take it!" types lately who then vanish and never pay.

As far as high prices and Gbase type listings....you're going to have that in any selling venue, Ebay, Emporium, etc. Singling out Reverb is a bit unfair. Its a marketplace, where the seller dictates the price. Their price either works for you or it doesn't. If one seller's price doesn't sit well with you, another's probably will. I use those "overpriced Gbase" listings to my advantage on my used items. I price mine in line and reasonable and my items sells while theirs are still sitting there. Their higher pricing makes "normal", more in line pricing, look like that much more of bargain.

kmh3000

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a newly minted Reverb fan, having bought, and now, sold, a dozen or so items since it started. Bear in mind, that in my experience when Reverb sellers have enabled the "make an offer" button, they're serious about it. I think if prices seem on the high side it's because folks expect to get bargained down a bit. Seems to be kind of the standard operating procedure on Reverb. More than half of my transactions, both buy and sell, have been, in effect, negotiated sales. So I'd say if you like something, make an offer. You might be surprised.

Trending Topics