• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverb sellers who ignore offers through the 24 hour limit...

PaisleyWookie

Trying to be a decent person and hoping someone acts in-kind isn't entitlement.
What's your definition of "decent" for a Reverb transaction? 30 minutes? 1 hour? Is 4 hours too long for you? See the problem here? Complain to Reverb if you don't like it. Getting snarky with other people that accept how it is and move on isn't constructive.

And yes, knowing the policy is 24 hours, and feeling entitled to an answer faster is, wait for it.....entitlement.

HERSCHEL

What's your definition of "decent" for a Reverb transaction? 30 minutes? 1 hour? Is 4 hours too long for you? See the problem here? Complain to Reverb if you don't like it. Getting snarky with other people that accept how it is and move on isn't constructive.

And yes, knowing the policy is 24 hours, and feeling entitled to an answer faster is, wait for it.....entitlement.
If you wait to answer for 24 hours then you can't give an answer because it's expired.

Having an alert set up and pay at least passing attention. If you're sitting around the house and the alert goes off, take a glance. If you're at the movies, enjoy the movie, but while you're waiting for lunch/dinner afterwards, thumb down to see if you have any sale alerts while checking for texts/facebook/snapchats/etc. It takes but a moment. Heck, a lot of people are on their phones in the bathroom. If you don't want to accept an offer, a quick acknowledgement and polite decline takes twenty seconds. It's not a "You must answer in 30 minutes" thing, but in most cases it shouldn't take almost a day.

jbear

I haven't read all 22 pages of this...I've had lowball offers from folks who will say that they understand that the offer is low, but it's what they have (I've done that myself). I'm cool with it, and I've even sold low to a few when I could afford it. What I don't dig (this is more common on Ebay) is when someone says best offer...lets say it's $1000.00...and you're offer gets within like $15.00 and they still decline. What's the point of even taking offers if you're gonna do that?
Fortunately, I have perspective so aside from bit**ing about it cuz I'm bored...I'm pretty good at rolling on.

scott

Silver Supporting Member
I
To me, this thread lacks data...

I was curious about my own history as a Seller, so I decided to extract a csv file from Reverb with my full sales history. I then added a column to show the % difference between my accepted offers vs my original listing price.

I've sold 58 things since January 12, 2017.
Each item was listed in 'Excellent' condition.
I offer free shipping to Canada & the CONUS on everything that I list.

All of my prices are a bit wonky looking because I'm Canadian - Reverb forces me to list things in Canadian Dollars and then converts the display price to the currency of the Buyers account. So all of the prices in the spreadsheet below are in USD - they just look wonky (ex. I likely posted the Menatone TBIAC for an even $175 CDN...which must've converted to $141.36 USD). As a Seller, I know most of my Buyers are American - I do wish that I could list things in US Dollars just so that my prices looked more normal (ex. not ending in .36 cents).

Unfortunately the reporting from Reverb doesn't give me a lot of info about posting date vs sale date (so I can't easily tell how long things sat for). Anecdotally though, I sell most things within 24 hours and I've likely never had anything sit for longer than a week.

I've redacted all information about my Buyers (the reporting does provide their name and address information).

Im in Canada and I list in USD all the time

RYAN1987M

Gold Supporting Member
I

Im in Canada and I list in USD all the time
Thanks for that...I'll have to play around with my settings as I'd certainly prefer to list in nice and even numbers, in USD.

If I remember, when I setup with Reverb Direct (as opposed to PayPal), that's when it changed...but perhaps the functionality has been subsequently fixed.

I dont have a Reverb account, but if you or any of your buddies with disposable income use eBay, please tell them that my username is SgtThump and Id like them to stay away from my auctions. Thanks in advance.
No problem got the shaft way to many times on eBay they have a lot of seller
Protection
Many people are running away from Ebay
For guitars and amps anyway
That’s why reverb got so popular in the first place many feel the same way
I go to Ebay to buy my wife
Counterfeit Disney pins
Maybe appliance parts
Car floor mats
Low dollar items I won’t cry like a little baby bitch WHEN I get shafted

Pretty sure this thread has run its course. :)
Yep I’m really sorry if I fanned the flames was on vacation and board my friend send me a link about BC Rich so I signed up posted all I know about it and some pics commented on this thread and got a bunch of people talking down to me and saying my comments read like a poem???????
Hey you smoke wayyyy to much weed

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
It makes perfect sense to me to ignore lowball offers. Why waist your time with someone that's not willing to put in a fair offer to begin with? They'll get the idea that you've declined the offer and you've saved yourself some valuable time. LOL. Otherwise, I see your point. Counter for a possible sale.

kwicked

No problem got the shaft way to many times on eBay they have a lot of seller
Protection
Many people are running away from Ebay
For guitars and amps anyway
That’s why reverb got so popular in the first place many feel the same way
I go to Ebay to buy my wife
Counterfeit Disney pins
Maybe appliance parts
Car floor mats
Low dollar items I won’t cry like a little baby bitch WHEN I get shafted
What was the return policy on the wife?

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
I always respond to an offer request in the alotted time -regardless of the amount - even if just to decline.

That said, Reverb’s policy of notifying watchers of a pending offer gives the seller every incentive to hold out as long as possible for potentially better offers.

Roughly half of the sales I’ve made have been from better offers or full price buys motivated by the Reverb offer notice process. It just flat out works.

As it stands, 24hrs is pretty short. Not everyone - myself included - choses to tether themselves to a phone all day.

If I’m listing an item, I’ll check in around 6:00am before work if I have time, and probably again around 7:00 or 8:00pm in the evening.

That’s more than enough, imho, and as much attention as I’m willing to give...at that point.

Once I reply and a negotiation begins, however, I tend to reply to questions within the hour, and usually ship within 12 hrs of payment.

data_null

Trying to be a decent person and hoping someone acts in-kind isn't entitlement.
No, but whining on the internet because someone didn't respond to your offer within your arbitrarly imagined timeframe (even though they are not obligated to respond at all) IS the epitome of entitlement.

Gotta love all the salty lowballer tears in this thread.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
I ignore certain lower offers when my item for sale is priced more than fair, no patience for someone who most times wants to buy something and resell it to make a buck for themselves.

If they really want it, they will buy it anyway.

HERSCHEL

No, but whining on the internet because someone didn't respond to your offer within your arbitrarly imagined timeframe (even though they are not obligated to respond at all) IS the epitome of entitlement.

Gotta love all the salty lowballer tears in this thread.
On the other hand: You claim they're entitled in a fit of projection lacking any self awareness.You're entitled to basically new price for anything you sell, you'll respond and ship when you feel like it, and anyone with the audacity to seek a reasonable price is a tire-kicking lowballer.

See how that works?

The time frame is "arbitrary" because nobody is claiming an exact time, but also wanting people to be on the lookout as a normal course of activity when they're already checking e-mail, social media, etc. because most people do that multiple times a day. A lot of people already do this, and it's not directed at them but all the people getting utterly defensive about their responsiveness in this thread shows there might be an issue, at least on a micro scale.

I'll use an example: I made an offer on an item this weekend. The seller responded around eight hours later. It was a counter. I saw that maybe an hour later. My price was what I felt was fair, but his wasn't bad either and, in this case, I accepted. So long as it ships in the next couple of days, functions and is not packed in a bag of acid and caltrops I'd have to think that's a pretty normal occurrence. When first you strip away the flippers and maybe anyone who thinks every shop has dedicated e-commerce people 24-7, you're left with a bunch of folks from all walks of life who are interested in gear.

data_null

On the other hand: You claim they're entitled in a fit of projection lacking any self awareness.You're entitled to basically new price for anything you sell, you'll respond and ship when you feel like it, and anyone with the audacity to seek a reasonable price is a tire-kicking lowballer.

See how that works?

The time frame is "arbitrary" because nobody is claiming an exact time, but also wanting people to be on the lookout as a normal course of activity when they're already checking e-mail, social media, etc. because most people do that multiple times a day. A lot of people already do this, and it's not directed at them but all the people getting utterly defensive about their responsiveness in this thread shows there might be an issue, at least on a micro scale.

I'll use an example: I made an offer on an item this weekend. The seller responded around eight hours later. It was a counter. I saw that maybe an hour later. My price was what I felt was fair, but his wasn't bad either and, in this case, I accepted. So long as it ships in the next couple of days, functions and is not packed in a bag of acid and caltrops I'd have to think that's a pretty normal occurrence. When first you strip away the flippers and maybe anyone who thinks every shop has dedicated e-commerce people 24-7, you're left with a bunch of folks from all walks of life who are interested in gear.
It doesn't really seem like you understand what's being discussed.

This thread started with the OP complaining about sellers not responding to his offers within an arbitrary timeframe that he decided upon in his mind. Regardless of the fact that Reverb's own policies indicate that a seller is under no obligation to respond at all.

Feeling you are owed something, when there is absolutely no precedent for it, is about as entitled as it gets. As has been stated many times, if these "buyers" can't be bothered waiting at all and need instant gratification then they should simply buy the item as opposed to making an offer. If they don't like Reverb's policies then they are also free to shop elsewhere.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom