reverb - strymon flint verb side or wampler faux reverb - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by es137p, May 26, 2015.

1. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

anyone tried both of these? I like the trem/vibrato clips with the Flint. Just wondering about the verb side? I just use verb for some wetness, nothing crazy. These both seem fairly simple and straight forward, which I like.

2. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

I currently own the Flint and it's really good. The 60s reverb is more of a spring type, 70s closer to a plate, and 80s is a hall setting. All very good and very musical. The Trem side is awesome too!

I'd recommend checking out the Neunaber Wet. I also own this one and it's by far my favourite reverb. Very organic sounding. Could save you a few bucks too!

NHBluesMan likes this.
  3. stratofied

stratofied Member

Haven't tried the wampler. The Flint has good useable verb and great trem. If reverb is your primary concern you should try the Flint to be sure it's going to satisfy. In my opinion the trem is the strong side of the Flint though.

4. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

I bought my Flint more for the trem, but use it more for the reverb. I really like both sides of the pedal.

I like the flint for a good "basic" reverb, as compared to the flashier shimmer et al in the other strymon reverb pedals. From what you've said, it might be a good reverb for you.

5. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I just ordered the Wampler Faux Spring from one of our TGP vendors at a hell of a deal. Should be here Monday. I don't have the need for a whole lot of different reverb options and Wampler's Tweed '57 impressed me enough to give this one a shot. And it's analog.

The WET looks cool but I never found one cheap enough to pull the trigger since it's not a primary effect for me.

6. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

thanks for the replys, keep them coming

7. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

I think you'll find that it's analog dry through (like the flint when you don't have the trem on), but the reverb itself is digital.

A good rule of thumb: any reverb pedal not large enough to contain a spring tank will be digital.

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I wish I could compare them, but I only owned the Wampler. I can tell you, as a real Fender spring 'verb fan, the Faux Spring sounds great... Very close IMHO.

9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Point taken. Can the flint be split? Like can something be inserted between the trem and verb?

10. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

It can't be split, but the order between the two can be changed. There aren't many effects I personally would want to put in between the two, but at some stage I'd like to run delay both in front and after the flint.

11. hapharriman

hapharriman Silver Supporting Member

Big fan of the Wampler Spring, tried a bunch and that's the one spring unit that sounds best with my setup. Mostly keep it on with the mix at 9:00 for a little ambience, occasionally use it for an effect with delays off, mix around 12:00.
    The Topanga nails the amp spring verb bet
    Tried to like the Flint, had one a couple of different times, not my cup 'o tea. Verbs were my least favorite of the two sides.

12. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I really liked my Wet until I A/B'ed with a Mojo Hand Dewdrop. The Dewdrop just sounded more present and alive and made me want to keep playing. The Dewdrop is now on my board.

-bEn r.

13. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

The wampler is awesome.gets boosty. Gets into kind of feedbacky territory. I tried it in my quest for a "springs on speed" kinda pedal and didn't really go over its more subtle stuff.

I did not purchase it.

14. 909one

909one Member

I liked the Topanga best for authentic spring sound. The Flint was great, but its spring sound was one of its weakest points. I liked the 80's reverb, the trem functions, the ability to change order, and the favorite switch option though... That made it pretty awesome.

I think the biggest problem that digital spring reverb pedals get wrong is how the reverb envelope follows the the dry note, and the dynamics of that envelope. I think the Flint's spring sound was nice by itself, but i felt it always sat in the wrong spot behind the note. It needed just a hair more pre-delay and some more swell at the beginning of the note or something. The Topanga nailed this feeling the best of any pedal I've tried, as for digital emulations closest to vintage spring tanks.

15. jurfin

jurfin Member

I don't have any experience with the Wampler, but I have been happily rocking the Flint since shortly after it came out. I love the spring reverb setting, and I pretty much keep it on all the time. I found a big part of getting it to sit "right" was to set the decay up higher, like one or two o'clock, and set the mix low, like eleven or twelve o'clock. It sounds great without an effects loop on my AC15HW, and the tone control really helps you get the right the feel with your rig. I love how it can take you from a bright and splashy spring to a dark and dirty one with the twist of a knob.

Beyond the (IMO) awesome spring mode, the plate is nice and plate-like (obviously), and it allows you to dial in everything from a quick and bright plate sound to a 20 second decay of fat and warm reverb. The hall is enormous and deep, with the perfect amount of subtle modulation mixed in to the verb. I have a favorite switch set up for a huge ambient reverb in the 80's mode, and it is instant space bliss. I love that sound. You can also dial in nice subtle room verbs in the hall mode, as well as a pretty damn good sounding slap-back, as the pre-delay is just right for one repeat, and the tone control allows you to dial in a bright or dark slap-back sound.

Also, TREMOLO! I really like all of the tremolos in the flint. The harmonic trem is simply magical, and the other two do a great job at being simple trems that sound good and satisfy all of my trem needs. As an added bonus, both my timeline and my flint sound spectacular with my synths. They handle line levels like a pro, which makes them that much more useful in a studio setting.

After a few years of constant use, that is what I think about the Flint. Such a great pedal IMO.

nkt275 and pete12string like this.
  16. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

I was just on the hunt on for a reverb, and I listened to a lot of clips and read a lot of internet posts on the matter. Unfortunately, I was unable to play any of the big name, i.e. expensive, pedals, but based on what I was wanting and the reviews of others, I went with the boss 63 reverb.

I played it and it sounded great, and even new it wasn't too bad of a price. I'll probably wonder about the flint, topanga, and the wampler, but I think I will be pretty happy with the Boss.

I say that just to give you another reverb to think about.

17. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Is the Wampler Faux Reverb a digital pedal? or is it analog?

18. augur

augur Member

Wampler Faux is digital with analog dry signal.
    Dry signal signal is actually a bit hotter than initial one.

19. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I would hope with the word "faux" it would be obvious ;)

And it's not "real" reverb if it's not in a massive amp or outboard tank.

20. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

The Wampler sounds way better for spring, I have had both. Very disappointed with the 60's reverb algorithm on the Flint, by the way. At least at band volume.