reverb tank impedances (AC15CC1 replacement)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by exhausted, Aug 19, 2006.

1. exhausted

exhausted Member

i've got a vox AC15CC1 that I would like to try a difference reverb tank in as i am unhappy with the reverb right now. too thin and the decay is too long. love the amp but this is a weak link. it doesn't boing at all and sounds like bad digital to me.

it's a little ~9" 3 spring belton unit and i have all the specs for it.

i would like to try something more like the type 4, 17" type in my deluxe reverb which of course has completely different specs and thus won't work just to try.

quick question regarding how much sway i have in the impedance ratings...

the stock vox tank is 800ohm (input) and 2575ohm (output)

the closest i can get in a type 4 is 600ohm (in) and 2250ohm (out). 25% less in and 13% less out.

there is a series 9 available in the correct impendances but from my searches here, word seems to be that it's too much when the amp only has a mix control.

any advice, or other suggestions to sweeten up the reverb and get it a little more fenderish. i've got a reverb pedal but it hisses like all the rest of them do so i'd like to keep it out of the chain if possible.

thank you.

2. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

I don't think that Type 4 tank you mentioned would be a problem because it is not "25% less in and 13% less out".

It is 25% less of a load on the reverb drive circuit, and 13% less of a load on the reverb return circuit. Both which should only help the circuits performance not hinder them.

-Tony

3. WaltC

WaltC Member

IMHO the difference might not be worth the effort. I think the reverb in the new CC vox's is their weakest link. It is in fact digital (managed on the PCB with an IC circuit that drives and recovers the signal to/from the tank). The Belton tank isn't bad (the Korean Belton company is great in my experience, helpful and good customer service, in contrast to Korg...), but suffers in the circuit.

Does the 15 watter have the "dwell" switch on the reverb like the 30 watter does?

4. exhausted

exhausted Member

no dwell control unfortunately. just the mix.

i guess i might be out of luck in trying to improve the nature of the reverb tone but i think i will get a medium delay tank to at least take care of the overly long decay.

thank you.

5. the russ

the russ Member

the AC15CC reverb is not digital. there's a tank in there, bud. it maybe solid state, but it's far from digital.