Reverb Tax Charges

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HeavyRevy, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I can’t believe how many people don’t understand this.

BobbyFudge, xzacx, Markdude and 4 others like this.
  2. data_null

data_null Member

Not kidding. It’s always the people complaining the loudest about taxes that seem to know the least about what the money is actually used for. Please take some time to do a bit of research on the “unnecessary taxes” you are so outraged about.

sbrollins76, HERSCHEL and Colnago like this.
  3. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

No one likes paying tax I’m sure, but really, if you can’t afford it when it’s got 6-10% higher cost associated, then you couldn’t really afford it in the first place, no ?

Sure it sucks if a $1000 guitar costs an “extra” $75. We’ve all got things we’d rather do with $75, but..... if $75 is going to make or break ya, then maybe its not the best idea to buy a $1000 guitar ?

Maybe live within your means a bit more, buy a $500 guitar until your finances won’t miss $75 ?

I think that, and not taxes is the big “reverb” gear problem. People asking for partial refunds, trying to pressure getting an extra $30 off, not wanting to pay tax, it’s all about trying to stretch a dollar out of 15 cents.... just doesn’t work.

4. BenB123

BenB123 Member

Again most states have exemptions for occasional used private sales casual sales, garage sales for state retail sales tax. If you are a private buyer buying from a private seller it is a better deal to buy used from cr, Facebook, etc instead of reverb because you won't pay unnecessary taxes. If you think people pay state retail sales tax on used items from cr, Facebook, etc you are delusional. I guarantee the governor of your state or my state does not pay sales taxes on something he buys at a garage sale.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    RicardoDiazHimself and Gallery like this.
  5. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

This thread has circles on it from me touching it with a 10' pole.....

HeavyRevy and HERSCHEL like this.
  6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I can afford to pay the tax.

I purposely buy new items from my local shop to support them and I pay tax and often pay a slightly higher retail cost in doing so.

If I buy a used item it is almost always a brand they don't carry.

I just don't agree with the idea of tax being on the sale and not the item and the government being allowed to double dip on taxing the sale of an item twice.

On a related note: Does Reverb allow for resellers to make tax exempt purchases when they provide proof they are a registered business (ie Tax ID# etc..)? So if a shop is buying used gear of Reverb to stock their physical shop can they buy tax free just as they do from their wholesaler/distributor?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    HeavyRevy, mikendzel and zuel69 like this.
  7. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

They do.

Gallery and HERSCHEL like this.
  8. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I have issues with states double dipping and collecting sales tax on used items when they've already collected when that item originally sold! It just seems all kinds of wrong to me!

mikendzel and cholula69 like this.
  9. BenB123

BenB123 Member

Pl
    Please take time to research the difference between retail sales and private non business used sales. Most people readily understand the difference which is why virtually nobody pays state retail sales taxes on private used sales via garage sales, cr, Facebook, offer up and until recently reverb.

10. data_null

data_null Member

And yet again, please take sone time to educate yourself on what these “unnecessary taxes” are actually used for. What you said above has no relevance to this.

Colnago and HERSCHEL like this.
  11. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Again, you’re the one who doesn’t understand the actual terms used. Please read the statutes in their entirety. Your claims of “most people” only points to a lot of people not actually understanding the laws.

12. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Because it’s a transaction tax, not an item tax. It’s not double dipping because you didn’t buy it then sell it to yourself. You buy something, you pay the tax, it’s pretty simple.

Taxes applied to items are usually in the form of tariffs regulated federally.

13. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Any way you slice it, it SUCKS!

HeavyRevy and cholula69 like this.
  14. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

It does not matter where the seller is located, it's all about the buyer.

HeavyRevy likes this.
  15. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

Beat me to it. I was scrolling thru to see if anyone else had posted this

HERSCHEL likes this.
  16. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

You're making a dangerous assumption that once somebody does this, by way of understanding they will then agree with it. Some of us have already done so, and are rather infuriated by it.

mikendzel likes this.
  17. Mr.Woody

Mr.Woody Supporting Member

The way to get around sales tax is to use a barter system...... We pay sales tax to the government because we use the government's money (the US Dollar). If we use their money in a sale (whether private or retail), they have a right to demand a cut of the sale like it or not. This is why unregulated currency systems are both helpful and risky. The government doesn't have their hands in the pot, but they also won't help you if you get burned.

Now all we have to do is establish our (used)pedal/gear-based currency.

Loose strings (unplayed) = $1
    ??= $5
    ?? = $10
    Mooer = $20
    Boss = $50
    ?? = $100

:)

HeavyRevy, HERSCHEL and Gallery like this.
  18. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

At large.....

It is what it is, boys. Vote with your feet, your wallet, your ballot, or any combination of the three as determined by your perspective.

mikendzel likes this.
  19. Markdude

Markdude Member

It’s strange that people are getting upset at forum members for pointing out tax laws. None of us are advocating for the laws, we are just sharing the relevant information about the laws since there seems to be a lot of confusion about it.

xzacx, HeavyRevy and HERSCHEL like this.
  20. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

The great thing about taxes = we get to determine whether they are acceptable for us or not.
    We are not created for taxes, but rather taxes were created for us and are ultimately subject to our approval through various means, not the least of which is elections.