Reverb to start taxing buyers in multiple states

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bigfoamfinger, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

I think people are bitching about the increased cost of an already expensive service, not gov't regs, IMHO.

Gary Ladd likes this.
  2. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Well, it's not really an increased cost. Sales tax is supposed to be paid on instrument sales. I'd suggest that they think of it more as 'well, I got a freebie for a while'.

It's all in how you view it; life is too short to get annoyed by this.

Guitars aren't dietary staples. Anything beyond one is a luxury.

YMMV.

3. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

:agree

It was fun while it lasted but just another reason to practice instead of chasing deals ;)

chrisjw5 and Jim Holloway like this.
  4. egregion

egregion Member

pretty sure schools are primarily funded by local property taxes. hence why schools in bad areas are underfunded.

Gary Ladd, bigfoamfinger and Lt Dak like this.
  5. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Paying taxes on new guitars from makes sense. We've had it made for a while and it was only a matter of time. It's the used gear that appears to be included in this that is frustrating to people

jasons7, Cruciform, gearitis and 3 others like this.
  6. bigfoamfinger

So sorry, didn't mean to trigger you guys. Edited to reflect that I'm only referring to used gear, sold individual to individual

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Gary Ladd likes this.
  7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

move! (to a less tax state)

8. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Agree. Here in Massachusetts, we pay tax on (new or used) goods bought from businesses. If the seller is an individual, tax is not collected. I did declare these out of state purchases when filing my annual taxes. Recently they began collecting for new goods from out of state businesses (eg when ordering from MF, SW, etc) at the time of purchase. Since I was already paying these taxes, it basically resulted in less to keep track of and ultimately itemize when filing.

Taxing used goods sold via a marketplace when purchasing from an individual seems like it's taking it too far. The tax has been paid. Will the IRS or state officials be making appearances at Garage/Yard/Tag Sales next, enforcing new tax laws on sale of all used goods?

9. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

You like having a road? How about the fire department? Hospitals? Ambulances? How about all the infrastructure that gets a pedal from one side of the country to your front door in less than 3 days. Those things used to be funded in part via sales tax, and then Amazon and the rest of the internet ****ed that all up.

chrisjw5 and Jim Holloway like this.
  10. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

If a roadless, uneducated society is what it takes to get cheap pedals then so be it.

11. frankg11

frankg11 Member

before this get's locked.

The old model was that a Business Nexus determined if the company charged sales tax on goods and services. Today with the large $$$$$ value of on-line sales, states have seen a reduction in sales tax. This is a shift from Brick and Mortar to interstate sales. Many states did not have any taxes on interstate for goods. Now with the drop in Brick and Mortar they are changing the law to tax interstate goods and services with the local tax. This has been evolving for many years, and now is expanding faster across the country.

It's that they need to preserve that revenue stream not take more from that stream. However, you can be assured that taxes will rise as the sun rises in the east.

12. lizardking

lizardking Supporting Member

Um, nope.

Not getting in trouble so I'm out, lol.

toddincharlotte likes this.
  13. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

I'm already paying 10.5 grand a year for property tax and 40% income tax, but by all means, please keep on making the logical fallacy that I don't like roads, children, hospitals, and firehouses. :rolleyes:

egregion, cust22, jasons7 and 4 others like this.
  14. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

Yep, a whole lot like a colonoscopy without sedation. Yeah boy, it's all good ...

15. bigfoamfinger

but but but how else are hospitals going to be built, if you don't pay tax on the used guitar you bought from Joe in Michigan on Reverb???

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Jimmy R, egregion and Beng2040 like this.
  16. dmac in SC

dmac in SC Silver Supporting Member

Paying sales tax on new gear is one thing..paying tax on used stuff is double dipping..

eigentone, egregion, Hawk3y3 and 8 others like this.
  17. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

It's a sales tax. New vs used is meaningless.

Ltsft likes this.
  18. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

It's funny that you were wondering how long it would take, yet, in post #3 you mentioned government greed which is the exact opposite of the argument you quoted. So I would say you won for this thread.

19. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Can you explain why new and used gear sales are different as it relates to sales tax? I honestly look forward to your answer.
    As others have pointed out but has failed to penetrate for you, the tax was always owed (use tax). There is now a concerted effort, based on some very interesting court cases, to put the onus on the seller or distribution channel to collect and remit the local sales tax for online sales.
    Ignorance is not bliss, it is just ignorance.
    If anyone is by chance a nerd about this stuff, the Air b and b type of systems are battling as to whether Air b and b is simply providing a service or are the seller as it relates to the party(they or the individual participants/owners) responsible for maintaining a license and remitting tax and whether the difference between what air b and b "charges" on their site and what gets paid to the property owners is taxable. Really interesting stuff as many of the local ordinances were written before online sales or short term rentals were even concepts.

RockDebris, chrisjw5 and Paleolith54 like this.
  20. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Ha, as I understand it they will be collecting in almost every other state starting on 10/1. I feel a little bit bad for CME & all the other stores that have modeled at least 50% of their business online. They will probably be okay but a lot of the others won't make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.