Reverb Unit vs. Reverb Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by art2infinity, Aug 1, 2006.

1. art2infinity

art2infinity Member

I've got an amp without reverb and would like to add some. I love the sound of Fender reverb, but my buddy tells me that if the reverb isn't part of the amp, that there's not much difference between going throuh an external Fender Reverb Unit or a Holy Grail pedal (other than price).

Any thoughts?

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'd stay away from the Holy Grail. When using an adapter, the hum is unbearable.

stratzrus

3. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Most reverb pedals and indeed most amp reverbs fall short when compared to an outboard Fender Reverb tank. The tanks are big, expensive, fragile, take up an extra powerboard slot and crash horribly when someone knocks into them, so you have to be pretty enthusiastic about them to use one, especially live. But I've never heard anyone complain about the sound of a tank reverb - next to one, even amp reverbs sound pathetic to me.

4. albuht813

albuht813 Member

I have the Line 6 Verbzilla and it does a pretty good job. Of course, it doesn't get close to my 65 twin reverb, but it's still gives a bit of atmosphere when tweaked right. I use the pedal for my Hot Cat.

5. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Wishful thinking, IMO. One of the Van Amps units should fit the bill nicely. They take up more real estate than a HG, but are far easier to integrate into a rig than a standalone tube unit. The sound quality is as close as you're going to get to a Fender-style outboard box -- because it basically IS a Fender-style circuit using SS components instead of tubes.

- DB

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I use a Holy Grail, and have had no real complaints with it.

It's not a Fender standalone unit, but it more than does the job for me.

I haven't found the noise to be excessive, nor even noticable while playing.

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

+1 on the Holy Grail. I've had NO noise issues with this pedal. It's also pretty transparent. Save the cash for some other toys.

8. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

++1 for the Holy Grail. Cheap and sounds good. Better than some other digital reverbs I've tried.

One known HG problem, and easy remedy: If for some reason you plug in your guitar and don't get reverb, just pull and re-insert the power supply's pin jack.

Like 5th says - get the HG and save your money for other toyz.

9. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

But not better than a good spring circuit. ;)

To each his own, but for me the extra $160 for the Van Amps provides incredible bangage for the buckage. YMMV.

- DB

10. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

If you want the fender vibe without the price tag, try to find a Premier Reverberator. They were made between 1962-1965 and can be picked up for less than $300. I have one and it is great.

11. erksin

erksin Member

IMO - the Fender Reverb Unit has way more of an 'effect' sound to it vs. typical built-in reverbs. I've not tried the Holy Grail, but I'm guessing it can deliver more amp-like reverb from some of it's settings? Not knocking the Fender at all (I own and LOVE my original 1965 unit) - but it is quite different in my experience...

12. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

If you really want to go with a tube/spring reverb, but don't want to shell out the money for an original or RI Fender unit then I highly recommend a Peavey Valverb. They're a one-rackspace tube/spring reverb & trem unit which is footswitchable. It even has a preamp section for tone shaping & master volume which can be used to goose the front end of a tube amp. They can usually be had pretty cheap, but can be a bit tough to find. IMO they sound every bit as good if not better than the Fender unit, but with the preamp section I guess it helps in tweaking the tone to taste. Otherwise the other above suggestions should be just fine too.

13. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

A Digiverb in the effects loop sounds very, very close to the onboard reverb in a modern Twin.

14. Lund

Lund Member

I ┬┤ve had a Boss RV2 and it was okay, but it added a digital edge i didnt like in the long run... i have not heard a digital effect that doesnt ad some sort of edge to the sound.

To solve the problem i use a delay (analog) that i set to be rather subtle in the background, that just blends with the music rather than stand out.

To me this works a lot better than any digital reverb... if i wanted reverb i would defenetely get a amp with reverb built in.

T-Rex has a new pedal out called roommate... its out in Denmark now (dont know about the rest of the world - since its produced here). It looks interesting... but i havent tried it.

Michael

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I wish I could recommend the Holy Grail. It's got great sound, would be the perfect pedal were it not for heavy noise issues (almost unusable with some amps), a habit of burning through power supplies and not that robust construction. Had to move along. Maybe it was just mine, but enough is enough.

An appropriately modded Fender RI tank -- if you can't afford the heavyweight funk from Clark, Uncle Spot, Victoria -- is a different experience. Sometimes delay only is a real alternative to reverb. My old GA40 actually sounds better (to me anyway) with just analog delay. By contrast, an old Magnatone (Twilighter 260) sounds OK with delay only, far better than OK with reverb and delay.

Many amps "train" you to use reverb modestly, as you get boing city if you try to use too much. The tanks are different. You can very easily use too much. What sounds good in your living room might not work on stage. I'm learning restraint with mine. It's the warmest, coolest sound when you get it right.

16. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

17. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Agreed. I had one, and it's a step up from every digital stomper I've tried (and, yes, I have played -- but not owned -- the Holy Grail). It's cheaper than the Van Amps, but after I A/Bd the two the Lanilei went on the Emporium.

- DB

18. art2infinity

art2infinity Member

Has anybody tried the Danelectro "Spring King"?

19. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have a Verbzilla as well, use it with my Naylor SC38 that gets great sounds. I found that most other pedal reverbs "effect" the sound too much.
    That being said, I would prefer the sound of a reverb tank. The pedal is like $150, the tanks are $450 or so. That and the fact that I can tweak the pedal more and has more options made it a winner for me.

20. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

I bought the new Marshall RF-1 reverb pedal today. It's pretty good for a digital pedal. Much warmer than the Boss series and not as "surfy" as the Holy Grail. Very tweakable. :)