Reverb vs Ebay..

SamBooka

Maybe some of you sell on both so I would like your opinionl

I recently bought a replacement neck on reverb. The exact same neck (and seller) is on ebay at the same price.

Do you have a preference one over the other? I have been on ebay for centuries but used Reverb because I understand the fees are better for the seller.

Am I off? Am I missing something? Am I drunk?

Thanks.

Reverb has better terms, but I seem to have better luck selling things on Ebay. This tells me that more people look at ebay. I would rather keep a larger chunk, but if it sits for months....

Lephty

Reverb has better terms, but I seem to have better luck selling things on Ebay. This tells me that more people look at ebay. I would rather keep a larger chunk, but if it sits for months....
This has been my experience too. I have sold a couple things on Reverb, but have sold more things more quickly on Ebay. But Ebay takes a bigger cut.

As a buyer, just about everything I have seen on Reverb has also been listed on Ebay, especially items listed by dealers. For the same price, to the penny. In this case I have usually bought on Reverb, just because I'm tired of Ebay getting my money. Never had any problems.

knut

I prefer Reverb because of their Handpicked Collections, inspiring stuff. I tend to spend a lot more time window shopping.

sshan25

Silver Supporting Member
I think what happens is, many people put things on Reverb at unrealistically high prices and let the items sit there. You can sort of list it and forget it if you're not anxious to unload it because of the "out of sight, out of mind" factor. Ebay, having a fixed time period, forces the seller to relist every few days. At some point, after several unsuccessful auctions, it may occur to a seller that the $2500 they're asking for their partscaster may be a tad high when the bids continue to top out at $750. In addition, there are way more potential buyers on Ebay. That said, l've had decent luck selling on both.

MangoMango

Gold Supporting Member
Agree with all that has been said. The one difference I find in addition to the great points already made is that folks on Reverb are far more communicative.
It is the norm to get multiple inquires and often have a dialog with the buyer before a sale.
I get the occasional question on eBay but its usually basic like "why you selling?".
With that said I find folks on Reverb way to be far more cautious.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen no difference between Reverb and eBay for buying, if it's a "Buy It Now" situation. I've had top-notch and less than top-notch sellers on both platforms, but I've never been burned on either one.

However, most of the things I see on eBay that I'm interested in are auctions, so you have to sit around for a week wondering how much you're going to actually pay to buy the thing.

As a seller, I vastly prefer Reverb. Not the only for the lower fees, but the buyers are usually more educated. I've gotten some real chuckleheaded inquiries (or just plain spam) on ebay. The Reverb price negotiation process is much more user friendly, IMO.

As a Reverb buyer, I had a minor issue with a seller. When I checked with Reverb's customer service, they responded quickly, and with appropriate humor. I had a big customer service problem as an ebay seller. Ebay handled the issue, but it took longer and felt like a pretty soulless transaction. So. I'm a Reverb fan.

zztomato

I've had better luck on reverb for the last few months. The fees are good and it has more of a community feel to it. I like it. I hope it stays the way it is.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Reverb ,,, hands down!! Not only a lesser fee but a better arrangement all around.
Direct checkout is so much easier ... all you do is photograph your stuff ... say a prayer & forget about it.
When someone buys it or tries to make an offer (which is your choice to make as an option)
Reverb handles all the messages.
When sold... you simply pack it up, ship it and send a tracking# to Reverb. They take care of the rest...

Londonbus

Silver Supporting Member
Reverb, without question.

I cross listed almost every piece of gear I've sold in the past year on both sites.

Ebay sales? $1400 since last March

Reverb sales? $27,500 since last March

You tell me which one is more effective.

amstrtatnut

I just used reverb for the first time as a buyer. So far so good.

My item is supposed to ship tomorrow.

Incoming!!!

leftybill

Silver Supporting Member
You need to understand that reverb is a much newer site than ebay. I have noticed that reverb is slowly getting more viewers.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
as a seller, I prefer Reverb
Me too. Lower fees, easy to get someone on the phone if you have to, and they're all young kids based in the USA, eager to help. No foreign accents you can't understand. I may be wrong, but hasn't Ebay farmed out their customer service overseas?

Trending Topics