reverb VS subtle delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cheen2006, Oct 26, 2008.

1. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

I thought I'd start a thread about something I've been thining a lot about recently. I've been generally drawn to tweed amps over blackface amps. I had a deluxe reverb for a while but I just could not stay away from a bassman.

As a result I've been using very subtle analog delay(a carbon copy with mix at about 8 oclock, about 2 repeats, 250-300 ms) to add depth to my sound. I personally really enjoy how the delay kinda stays out of the way of the note and just adds a little behind it, whereas I found that reverb seems to become part of the note.

I'm really interested in the philosophies people here have about this subject of ambiance, as I'm focusing on getting the most beautiful clean/edge of break up sound I can get. Please discuss. Thanks

Cheen

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. wyatt

wyatt Member

I greatly prefer some slapback delay over reverb when playing in a dead room. Reverb gets too wet too fast once you get far enough back from the stage to have the natural room reverb.

3. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

:agree

I choose delay over reverb any day.

But it is good to have access to both! I love to use reverb as a special effect, not a constant thing. It is great on clean sounds.

4. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

Interesting, so far just delay lovers. I was wondering if when you're stating your preference, you could explain in moderate detail what delay/reverb you are using and with what settings. I think this would greatly help in widening our knowledge and perspective on these effects. Thanks.

Cheen

5. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

This is something I've read in a few places, and I think one of the main reasons I don't use reverb at this time. I play in a band with another guitarist and the singer sometimes plays acoustic, so muddying things up is a big concern for me. How much delay time would you generally use? I can't seem to get slapback/really short delays to work for me to well.

6. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Interesting...
    I don't like using either reverb or delay when using distortion (unless I am playing leads) because I find that they add too much brightness at high volume. Anyone who has seen Rush perform live would know what I mean!

I will however choose reverb + chorus over delay any day when playing "clean". Even at high volume, but then again, I like setting my reverb so that it is felt, and not actually heard (if that makes any sense).

7. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I use 2 delays.... no verb. One has slapback. one is set to more of a reverbish, extended delay(a little gilmore-ish).

Now, when using my OD on faster tunes, i use no delay. As in the mix it sounds just fine.

But on Ballads I use the more extended delay(reverbish gilmore sound) to get an excellent mixture of tones and over tones that compliment the overall mood of the feeling I am conveying to the audience during a solo.

My amp.... Custom Fender Bassbreaker.
    guitar....... PRS Custom 24
    EFX....EBvolume->CMATMODS brownie->Boss DM-2->Ibanez AD9->PHAT Boost->Hot Cake. (I have more on the board, but use these mostly)

The DM-2 is set for more slapback. The AD9 is set for extended lenghty delay which gives a reverbish sound.

I have an SPX90II that I have not got into yet, but will soon... The reverbs and delays on this machine are newer(older/newer), but have a nice "old" sound.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've tried both. There are differences but they are subtle. Generally though I would say that slight, subtle (though this setting changes in band setting, you have to raise the mix to keep it subtle) delay seems "cleaner" AND has less of that effect of making the guitar sound further away, more presence.

Reverb to me can sound better actually on chords, but again...I find most people using reverb use it set too high. The key with either is just barely there, and then down some from that, unless you really want to overdo it for a reason.

On input, they both have their drawbacks, especially with a cranked amp.

But as always, it also depends on the units. Some delays especially brighten the sound of the unaffected guitar too much.

I tend to use them mostly in solos as well, though there are times in rythm work that they can be good. Have many times used slight, subtle delay as a substitute for reverb and been mostly happy with it. But still, they ARE different effects and a good reverb can add a lot to some sounds. I'd say generally I like slight delay on OD sounds, I like reverb best on clean guitar.

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

None of the amps I currently use have reverb and I've been doing the same thing. Just a little slapback delay. It works for me! :AOK

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I like both routed parallel in your processor.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

All of my amps save for a Twin reverb are non reverb amps...62 Deluxe, V Front Super, 60 Ampeg Jet, etc and a short slap with maybe 2 or 3 repeats from an Echoplex is all I need to add a little depth to my tone!

12. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

+1 best solution I found with my G-Force multiFX

now with pedals I favour a warm analog delay when playing live.
    For recording I would use both depending on application.

Listen to Where were you, Nadia or Angel (Footsteps), Jeff Beck has sometimes used great reverb/delay washed guitar sounds

13. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

A lot of peoples seem to be using slapback delay. Does anyone see any benefits in longer delay times(250ms+)? I've tried the slapback method, but it seems too percussive when I use it. Also, are you generally using analog or digital delays. Thanks.

Cheen

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I use longer than slapback. To me slapback is almost the same time as the note, immidiate after. I like it a tad longer, long enough no one would call it slapback I think.

I keep the repeats down a little too, and usually color it a little darker on pedals where I can control delay tone.

15. Gris

Gris Member

I cannot stand the sound a fuzz pedal lead unless there is a heavy does of verb or verb-like delay on it.

I use a tiny delay pedal on subtle to simulate verb. But the jury is still out for me on whether it is as good.

16. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

I think this is what I'm missing from the carbon copy delay. I'd like a little darker and mushier, kind of smearing into each other delay, so you don't actually really hear the repeats.

Can anyone suggest an analog delay like the CC but with darker/mushier repeats? Thanks

Cheen

17. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i love a great amp reverb, but if IF IF I could ONLY pick ONE. . . it would be a delay. i find that when playing live, it is more 'versatile'. rooms often give enough of the verb as well. . .

i run the pa on many a live gig, and i find the same is true for vocals. when i can only pick one (my fx unit only allows one choice at a time) i pick delay every time. . . two or three repeats. adjust decay to taste and MIX to taste.

if you're looking for a small footprint delay that is analog (just checking), the dm2 is pretty dark. i have not heard the carbon copy, so i can't compare. . . for ME, the EH DMM is basically untouchable. it totally 'fills out' your sound, but it is actually quite 'clear' in its initial repeats (why i like it so much). it also offers a blend knob, and excellent 'feedback' control. .. .which allows incredible control over the 'wash' that can totally make you forget about reverb. . . the modulation features . . . well, they're pretty well documented. . .

meanwhile, i can get darn close with a dd20. . . close enough for rock and roll, as they say. . . it also has a tone control on the feedbacks. most excellent. for its versatility in live use and its price-point, i have not found a match. . . and don't even bother to try anymore. it's all i want or need. . .

in a small analog footprint, i loved the AM delay and the dm3. . . . neither of which are as dark as the dm2. again, however. . . i was able to 'copy' those tones in the dd20. . . .

18. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

I think what I'm essentially looking for is a good analog delay with a tone control on the repeats. Only one I can think of is the diamond memory lane, but that's quite big and expensive. Any other suggestions? thanks

Cheen

19. Sofus

Sofus Member

To the original question, always used delay over reverb, even in amps with reverb built in.

20. RomanS

RomanS Member

Delay most of the time for me - unless I want to get a surf/spaghetti western tone, then I kick in my Holy Grail (set really wet).