Reverb, where over priced guitars go to rot

Presc

I don’t flip guitars often, but I just listed one on Reverb. I was frankly surprised how high the prices for comparable guitars were - more than I expected. I listed around the midpoint of the group, but not seeing much action (which I’m not surprised by). It really seems like it’s a “dead market” with a lot of guitars listed at unrealistic prices that sit for a long time.

iamdavea

Silver Supporting Member
Really? Do a search for Martin OM21. Almost every one of them, and there is like 30, are priced higher than you can get a new one. Pretty much everything I search for is the same way. You can occasionally find deals on Reverb, but only when I am selling something.
I have no interest in Martins. With regard to the things I consistently look at--mostly Fender and boutique Strats--the prices are fair enough, with the option to make an offer. The Grosh Retro Classic I just purchased was priced about right, and I managed to get a slightly more favorable deal. I have no complaints.

Windup 43

Supporting Member
Some people aren’t desperate for the money and will only sell if they get the price they want, and therefore the guitars will sit for awhile...no one’s forcing anyone to look at the listings if they’re not interested, so I’m not sure what the problem is?

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
Hey OP

Martin list price 3,399
sweetwater 2,699
reverb used 2,100 / new 2,519
maury's music 2,699
myfavoriteguitars 2,699

Do this...
Retail list price 3,399 x's 60% = $2,039.40
CALL Maury's or Jon at myfavoriteguitars above and order it for $2,039.40.
They'll sell it to you for that...they simply can't list it online for that price.

LTigh

Really depends on what you're looking for. I've gotten ridiculously good deals on MURIKA Fender strats from teh Reverbs, and scored a nice PRS S2 for well below market price as well.

Also, Imma guess (okay, basing this off of a tactic one of my buddies used to use) that some of them "overpriced" guitars are there because wifey got on dude's nuts to clear out some storage space for her useless tchotchkes like handbags or shoes or the termite-infested "furniture" she bought the last time she went antiquing, so he puts up some of his gear on teh Reverb at a ridiculous amount so that no-one will want to buy it, but enough that if someone does, it's not as painful as it would be. Thus he has some plausible deniability while telling wifey that he wants to get the best price for his gear, or some such placating excuse.

MaxTwang

Hey OP

Martin list price 3,399
sweetwater 2,699
reverb used 2,100 / new 2,519
maury's music 2,699
myfavoriteguitars 2,699

Do this...
Retail list price 3,399 x's 60% = $2,039.40
CALL Maury's or Jon at myfavoriteguitars above and order it for $2,039.40.
They'll sell it to you for that...they simply can't list it online for that price.
Add Rainbow Guitars to that list, always been really easy to work with for me (almost as easy as Jon at myfavoriteguitars).

iamdavea

Silver Supporting Member
Really depends on what you're looking for. I've gotten ridiculously good deals on MURIKA Fender strats from teh Reverbs, and scored a nice PRS S2 for well below market price as well.

Also, Imma guess (okay, basing this off of a tactic one of my buddies used to use) that some of them "overpriced" guitars are there because wifey got on dude's nuts to clear out some storage space for her useless tchotchkes like handbags or shoes or the termite-infested "furniture" she bought the last time she went antiquing, so he puts up some of his gear on teh Reverb at a ridiculous amount so that no-one will want to buy it, but enough that if someone does, it's not as painful as it would be. Thus he has some plausible deniability while telling wifey that he wants to get the best price for his gear, or some such placating excuse.
Do you always talk like this?

Jabby92

Let say you have a guitar and you'd like to list it for sale for more than you can get a new one? Than Reverb is your place. Page after page of guitars over what you can get new ones for.

:aok:facepalm

EDIT: I totally forgot, rants don't go over well here. So flame away.
Totally agree. Its rare to find a good deal on there anymore, and a lot of the times the guitars are not in the condition that people advertise. Lots of stuff gets hyped in the ad too, to not be what it is really is. Its pretty much become a gear rental outlet..

Trending Topics