Reverb, where over priced guitars go to rot

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Aug 15, 2019.

1. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

Not my experience, both as a buyer and a seller.

On the buying side:
    I found a 4000 dollar Lieber Spellbinder in excellent + condition for 1200. A 2000 buck
    Breedlove Premier in mint condition for 1100, and a 1995 GNL legacy in mint condition for 750 bucks. All great deals.

On the selling side, I look at the fair market value and price it on the lower side. Usually selling in a few weeks at the most. People scoop that up when it’s priced right. Never thought of profit. The guitars were already paid for. I just wanted something else.

Carbohydrates likes this.
  2. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I often see MIJ Fenders going for pretty high prices on Revoib and Eboi. :)

3. cust22

cust22 Member

I've bought and sold about 20 items on Reverb. Sold more then bought. I always sell relatively quickly and usually use the middle or upper middle of Reverbs suggestion.

What do you consider low ball offers?
    For me I don't care how new or mint a guitar is, I wont won't look unless it's at least 30% off of new.
    for instance...PRS Custom 24 10 top. 4320 new...Should be 3024. A lot of people want 4K or $3700. I would rather just buy it new for that money.

Lamby likes this.
  4. Dane Kurnhart

Dane Kurnhart Member

5. RedLizard

RedLizard Supporting Member

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Killcrop and Carbohydrates like this.
  6. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I've mostly sold locally but CL is a deadzone these days unless it is heavily discounted for the flippers...

Thinking about trying a Reverb sale or two... pedals etc... are easy enough (used to sell/buy/trade pens a good bit) but for a guitar what do folks do for packing boxes? Buy the Reverb ones or something off Amazon? Anyone try local pickup only (seems like that is really not much better than CL... but just curious)? And do you estimate shipping, do actual shipping or "free shipping" and build in a margin in your listing?

The last guitar I shipped was years ago from an ebay purchase and I took a bath on the shipping fees... my bad of course.

7. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

My local dealer sells guitar boxes for like $5 a piece, try that with your local dealer, the sales rep will usually help you with this if money is involved...
    Shipping guitars is way easier than amps as long as you have a hard shell....

HesNot likes this.
  8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

GC and Sam Ash happily give away guitar shipping boxes.

HesNot likes this.
  9. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

like the Jim Kelley head made by Suhr for $6500 lol.

10. mikemjr12

mikemjr12 Member

I’ve seen used pedals listed for more than the new price. These are US based sellers and the new price doesn’t vary.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  11. DiPa

I don’t know Man, It’s now like a rare amp, you don’t find these around or being built, I think one can ask whatever, someone that wants one bad will negotiate, I wouldn’t sell mine, but if I did, it would be priced as high as I can go, easily $5K.

12. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

This.

13. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

I got a 2 year old American Special Strat for $500 on Reverb. I'm not complaining.

14. Crash-VR

that's funny. I guess it doesn't hurt to try. They were cheap before Suhr resurrected them. They never got really popular or they'd still be making them. With such a saturated market, I'd put my money on them become more unknown and losing value, not gaining. There's one in the Emporium with an attenuator that's been there for weeks now. So they're not exactly in demand enough to even sell for what they did new. There's a combo that's been listed for over a year at $4500 OBO on Reverb. There's just too many good amps out. If I'm buying a used amp I don't want to pay more than I can easily sell it for. Kinda like Carol Ann. Quickly becoming the best deal on the used market. Reinhardt amps come to mind also. Very highly regarded around here, even Mark Knopler's preferred touring amp and now they go for cheap.

15. DiPa

Weren’t the JK Amps a gem not widely known and as you stated cheap and then boom, they got discovered by the masses? Suhr came on board to build them, I really didn’t get why he stopped building a great amp. We could argue all day, the thing is my JK Suhr Combo with the JK Suhr attenuator is one of my fav sounds. Resale value is about the market and buyers and the product, so yeah there are many great amps competing, but hardly any of them have the tone and feel of these amps. When I purchased mine, I never considered resale cause I never planned to sell it. When I see the few (couple) that are up for sale, it does not surprise me a bit on what the seller is asking, some of you may think it’s nuts, but I don’t cause I know what these amps are capable of.

16. Crash-VR

Trust me, it’s one of the amps I’d like most. More of just a general observation. And it was Suhr that put them back on the map. Right before that they were cheap on the used market. Who knows really what the market will do. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part lol.

DiPa likes this.
  17. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

On eBay or Reverb I typically list about $200 higher than I actually want, to account for all the fees and shipping expenses (I always list free shipping and figure it into my total price.)

18. DiPa

This is a good idea. The Buyers usually don’t realize these overhead costs. Selling is a PITA, but there are some good successes mostly.

19. theruley

theruley Member

The stupid part is the shipping cost to Canada...$80 pedal, click on the add and it is $80 + $120 shipping:barf

20. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

Similar models of my #1 are listed from worn, $785, to new/old stock, $975, on Reverb. I got lucky and found mine in a pawnshop for $215 lol.