• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Reverb with no attack at 100%

joe*w

That sounds like you have it on swell wet mode. To do what you want to do, switch it to swell dry in the menu and set the reverb mix to 100%

There's a ducking effect when in swell wet and swell dry modes. The swell only occurs when you let a chord or note ring out. Even if you play a staccato note, the swell will stop rising as soon as you mute the strings. The swell mode creates beautiful volume swells, but not really a pad sound.

joe*w

What about the Bloom algorithm in the Big Sky? By adjusting the Length parameter, you can control how long it takes for the reverb to fade in. The "fading" behavior is inherent to the attack of the reverb itself - no gate required, no level dependent triggered "slow gear."

Other reverbs that display this behavior:

- the original Bloom algorithms on the Midiverb II
- Blackhole on the Eventide Space and H9, with "Gravity" set to whatever makes things slower
- ValhallaShimmer
- Ginnungagap (an algorithm in the Halls of Valhalla reverb cartridge for the Z-DSP)

You could also get this with a dual reverb, where the first reverb has a nonlinear/reverse shape, and the second reverb is a standard decay, but with a predelay that is the same length as the first nonlinear reverb.

Hey thanks for the tip on bloom mode for the Big Sky!! This actually worked quite well. However, there isn't a length parameter (unless your referring to decay), but there is a parameter for feedback. If you max out the feedback then this basically removes the ducking effect that is normally there in bloom mode when the feedback is at zero. The rise is not as slow as I would like, but it works great! Really appreciate this tip.

[edit] I found the length parameter. It seems to delay the onset of the bloom as well slow the rise. Combined with increasing the feedback creates the sound I’m looking for. I’m excited to see how the Alexander pedals compare [edit]

I did order both an Alexander Golden Summer (will arrive Wednesday) and an Alexander Sky Fi (from recommendations above, hopefully will arrive on Thursday). Once these arrive I'll try to put together a Youtube demo of all my reverb pedals trying to get this pad effect. Demo will include: Alexander Golden Summer and Sky Fi, Old Blood Noise Procession, Neunaber Stereo Wet, and Strymon Big Sky. I'll post a link here once the demo is up on Youtube.

Last edited:

joe*w

I don't know for certain, but I'm willing to bet that the Ventris can get you something you like, with it's dual DSP capabilities.

But what you're experiencing is based on the fact that the 'swell' behaviour is level based, and monophonic. There is no way to do what you want to do without adjusting your performance, imho.

Play your chords staccato, and don't let the notes decay. You can compensate on the reverb with the decay time to blend the notes together.

You could also consider putting a delay *before* the reverb. This will present more echoes of your note to the reverb. So effectively you could do something like this:

Play plucked notes into monophonic Swell effect... this goes into a delay with a super long decay value... and this delay can be dual, reverse, analog, digital, etc... then this all goes into the reverb with 100% mix, long decay, and tone adjusted to taste.

Those sorts of paddy sounds require a multi effect approach in my experience.

You're right on about the swell modes being level based. I've tried playing staccato, but the swells cut out as soon as you mute the strings (on the Big Sky). It only rises if you let the notes ring out.

Your other suggestions are great, too. But I'm looking for a small, single pedal solution. The Procession actually does this quite well, but for the reasons stated in the opening post I'm looking for an alternative. I've got the Alexander Sky Fi on order. I'm hoping it will be my solution.

joe*w

Try the Toneprint editor for the TC Hall of Fame / Trinity to design a patch to achieve this effect?

I had the Hall of Fame for a while, but gave it to a friend when I picked up the Wet and Big Sky. I never tried using the Toneprint editor to achieve this pad effect...should have. Kind of miss that pedal now.

embrionic

I was able to make a Trinity swellish' ambient verb toneprint with the editor, and you are able to do some cool stuff with that. I made it so the tone knob simultaneously decreased the high end, increased the low end, and decreased the dry signal all at once as you go from left to right on the knob.

Mr2D

Might be completely off on this, but wouldn’t this be exactly what the EHX Superego/Superego + was made for?

joe*w

Ok, the Golden Summer and Sky Fi arrived.

Question on the Sky Fi. Can you not dial out the delay? I was hoping to turn the delay all the way down and only have the reverb going. Seems that you can turn the Reverb all the way down, but not the delay.

The Golden Summer arrived defective. I did buy it used and am trusting the seller (well known) will give me a refund. I was hoping for a response today, but I do understand that it’s holiday season. The pedal will start to glitch after a minute or so and then shut down completely.

joe*w

Never mind...sorry
I read the back of the pedal and figured out how to turn down the delay.

The Sky Fi seems great so far. Hopefully I’ll have time record a demo of the different reverbs I have. Sorry the Golden Summer won’t be part of it. I don’t think it would have been ideal for pad sounds anyway.

joe*w

Thought I’d resurrect this post to see if anything new has come out.

I’ve tried the OBNE Procession and the Alexander Sky Fi. I prefer the Sky Fi, but would like more control over the rise speed and the decay.

Any thoughts?

I’m wanting to put this near the beginning of my chain. Then use my stereo reverbs at the end to create a wide sound.

Lamby

This clip from a few days ago shows how Andy Othling does something like what you're trying to do. He uses the OBNE Dark Star.

louisnd

The Avalanche Run, on swell mode with a wet setting could probably do it (with a clean sound)

JosephZdyrski

I’m pretty sure my walrus Slo can do this I’ll test the theory tomorrow since it’s too late to really check it now.

joe*w

The difference between most swell or slowverb functions and what I’m looking for is the ability to arpeggiate through chords and never hear an attack.

Most swell functions I’ve tried have a feature where an initial attack ducks the dry signal and swells in a verb. If you pluck the strings too soon then the you will hear an attack.

I’m looking for something that you can set to 100% and the reverb slowly rises (but not too slowly). Most reverbs that can be set to 100% still have this subtle attack as the predelay kicks in. I’m looking for a smooth rise in the reverb.

The Procession, Dark Star, and Alexander Sky Fi do this pretty good. I’m just looking for a different option that gives me a little better control over speed of rise, level, and decay.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, the hard part is having the "swell" retrigger with every note in an arpeggio. You have to play with the rise time and the sensitivity to get that to work. One way that might work would be to get an Attack Decay clone (like the Philosopher King has built in) and use a CV output from that to create an envelope for the reverb (you'd need a reverb with a CV input that would control volume of the wet signal). Actually pretty easy if you're into Eurorack synths, get the Pittsburg Modular Guitar Patch Box and stock it with an envelope generator and a reverb.

Purple_Plexi

The difference between most swell or slowverb functions and what I’m looking for is the ability to arpeggiate through chords and never hear an attack.

Most swell functions I’ve tried have a feature where an initial attack ducks the dry signal and swells in a verb. If you pluck the strings too soon then the you will hear an attack.

I’m looking for something that you can set to 100% and the reverb slowly rises (but not too slowly). Most reverbs that can be set to 100% still have this subtle attack as the predelay kicks in. I’m looking for a smooth rise in the reverb.

The Procession, Dark Star, and Alexander Sky Fi do this pretty good. I’m just looking for a different option that gives me a little better control over speed of rise, level, and decay.

You're still gonna need to add a reverb, but the best swell pedal I tried is the Mobius. The Autoswell is one of the two engines I love on it, the rest not so much... Probably not the answer you're looking for, but this is TGP. Timmy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom