Reverb Woes...

I'm currently using a Walrus Descent in my rig, but have found it's just a little out of my element, although it's a phenomenal sounding pedal.

I use a looper with a dedicated loop for the Reverb, with space enough for that pedal. So, should I go for a Big Sky, or, a Wet plus another reverb, like something from EQD for spacious sounding stuff?

I mention the Wet because I've always admired it but definitely want something spacey and ambient to use for P&W.

Any thoughts on a good combo with the Wet or a good reverb like a Big/Blue Sky?

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
Polara + RV-6, or the wet like you mentioned. Big Sky is extreme overkill for a 5 song P&W set despite every P&W player having one. Also no other pedal besides the BigSky and the Space has preset spillover, but if you have two pedals with trails it avoids that issue altogether.

Polara has the legendary Lexicon reverbs in a pedal format. Hall mode is killer for P&W stuff, though all the modes are excellent. The boss reverb's modulate mode is legendary for the big ambient thing.

You're going to want to take your reverb pedal out of your looper so that you can take advantage of tails and not have them cut off abruptly when you bypass the pedal.

Last edited:

marvelboy_04

I'm currently using a Walrus Descent in my rig, but have found it's just a little out of my element, although it's a phenomenal sounding pedal.

I use a looper with a dedicated loop for the Reverb, with space enough for that pedal. So, should I go for a Big Sky, or, a Wet plus another reverb, like something from EQD for spacious sounding stuff?

I mention the Wet because I've always admired it but definitely want something spacey and ambient to use for P&W.

Any thoughts on a good combo with the Wet or a good reverb like a Big/Blue Sky?
Get the wet plus the expanse pedal! I love it. Wet, shimmer, tremolo, flanging , phasing, plate, hall, spring reverbs, with presets.

The Wet is probably one of my favorite reverbs of all time, and will probably use it for the rest of my life. Its a nice subtle, natural sounding reverb, but it can do some cool washy ambient stuff. The Boss RV-5 modulate setting is my favorite ambient or crazy sounding reverb (im not a big fan of using reverb). I think those two together would give you an awesome selection of reverbs for ambient stuff

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
I play P&W every weekend...I've had the Big Sky and I agree...it's a lot of pedal.

My choice now? The MXR m300. I find that I can easily switch sounds by tapping on the blend knob with my foot so with the knobs basically straight up and down I have six reverb sounds. I don't use the optional expression pedal but if you did you'd have 12 sounds. All the sounds are great...I especially like their take on the Pad sound.

Bottom line, I'd recommend you check out the m300.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
I have the big sky and it's wayyyyyyy more than I really need.......... but also not interested in ANY reverb pedals. Ever.

I've saved like 12 patches I like. Everything ranging from subtle verb to something huge and lush. It just does anything I would want a reverb to do.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
BigSky was way more than I'd ever need as well. But when I was playing in multiple bands/scenarios I needed the presets. Yes I could've done the Slate/Wet/EXP scenario but I wanted the sounds of the BigSky (cloud, bloom, etc).

BigSky is made to cover tons of ground and a wide variety of people. It'll be too much for most people but if you need lots of presets (even 3-5 or more) it fits the bill. Don't shy away from the BigSky just cuz it's too much, again it's gonna be too much for lost cuz it needs to fit a lot of different people.

I love the BigSky. But when my playing situations changed and am just sticking to one or two types of gigs I didn't need to the presets anymore. I also found it too easy to get the over the top reverb sounds that just became too much. And I hear them way too much in similar playing styles that I wanted to go for something more natural. Which is why I recently decided to jump on a flint (which I played for the first time yesterday and I really like and it's def the direction I wanted to go in but am also still working through it).

Anyways lots of good reverb options out there and I like many of them.

John K.

I use a BigSky mostly because I love the Strymon sound but I need MIDI...I could definitely get by sound-wise with the BlueSky, but only the BigSky has MIDI.
The BlueSky is really awesome for worship too. I used that before upgrading. Just have a regular room/hall-ish sound with a knob cover on the mix knob and shimmer on the fav and you're good to go!

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
Can't go wrong with the Digitech Hardwire- lexicon mojo, lots of flexibility.

Why is the Descent not working for you?
Just can't seem to get it dialed into a reverb that fits my liking. As I said, I very much dig the pedal, but the reverse setting is useless to me, the hall is pretty good but not mind blowing and the shimmer is awesome, but almost too awesome in that it's so much octave it's kind of turned me off. I can't get it to Trail right for a good ambient tone, so I'm planning on seeing what else is out there.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Neuenaber Slate or Immerse would do you right. The Slate, particularly if you pair it the EXP controller, gives you about 70% of the BigSky in a smaller package and lower price (plus I like its algos better). The Immerse is really like the Neunaber greatest hits pedal. It's got Wet, Hall, Plate, Spring, Shimmer, Echo and Detune, all of which sound fabulous. So, if you want max flexibility (and presets), go with the Slate+EXP. If you want simplicity, but all of the great sounds, go Immerse.

Trending Topics