Reverb................

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Sep 15, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

In a tweed bassman style amp.........what do you thinks works better? A Fender out board type...............a Boss pedal............or a Holy grail?

All input is welcome..............:)

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

Ideally, an Uncle Spot outboard but for the money, a Holy Grail set at about 1.5 or 2 on the Spring setting works darned good with my Twin ;) Yes, my 1969 Twin. I use the Grail a lot with it even though the Twin's reverb sounds superb. For $80 bucks, it's not a bad gamble.

3. 6789

6789 Member

+1 holy grail

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That really helps.............Thanks! :AOK

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have played several older amps -- including a beautiful 2-input mid 50s bassman -- with the Holy Grail pedal. For me it's spring at nearly 12:00, or hall at no more than 9:00. (Spring works much better on a loud stage.) Adds a little noise, but the sound is excellent. Some outboard tanks might be better. I'm particularly interested in trying Uncle Spot's. But for the money and convenience, you can't beat the Holy Grail.

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

+ 1.

And I've tried a bunch of reverb pedals.

Best thing about the Grail: It's got only one big fat knob. You can adjust the reverb level up or down with your foot, as you play!!!

= K

7. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I posted a clip of a Reverbamate into a Tweed Deluxe clone earlier today. Do a search for Reverbamate in the topic subject line to hear it.

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

9. spence

spence Member

I use a Fender outboard with my Bassman LTD. It sounds heavenly.

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Really ? cool...........did you do any mods to it at all or is it straight out of the box? Can I also ask a really dumb question here..............Do you use a Guitar cable or a speaker cable to send the signal to your amp? :confused:

Having never used one I'm on new ground here............:p

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

The Holy Grail was ONE of the smarter purchases I've made :cool:

12. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Holy Grail is cool but I really like the Holier Grail. Not that the Holy Grail is overly noisy but the HOLIER is quiter and has more flexible options.

Holiest Grail is amazing but is a bit too elaborate and over kill for most guitar players. Great pedal for the studio though.

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

I tried the Holier Grail at Tone Merchants clinic.

Great sounding reverb and no noise.

Tomo

14. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

I have two Lexicon digital reverbs for recording, and I still use the Holy Grail with a guitar amp. I think it sounds that good. The spring setting sounds just as good as the Lexicon or the Peavey Valveverb (also an amazing reverb unit).

The trick to getting a great sound with an old school amp like that, to me, is the direct capture + wet amp setup. Snag a cheap amp with an FX loop (suggest a Tech 21 TM 60--lightweight, sounds good) and a hotplate. Run the bassman to the hotplate, the line out from the hotplate to the reverb, reverb to the fx return of the second amp...boom. Amazing reverb sounds every time, and the bassman doesn't get congested from using reverb in the front.

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yes...........The Fender was quite noisy and sounded compressed when I used it. Its going back via Fed ex tommorrow. I'll be getting the Holy Grail unless I can get a mad deal on a Uncle spot or something simliar that doesn't hum so much.

16. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I have an old Fender Reverb ('61 6G15) that I use with my tweeds. I'm absolutely satisfied with it. It's dead quiet, though I've totally went through it inside and out. I wish I could comment on the HG, but I've never tried one.