Reverb's feedback system is flawed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PurpleJesus, Mar 19, 2019.

1. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

In addition to being accurate these were a few excellent turns of phrase.

It's taken me the better part of an hour to unpack some amps I've purchased. Filled with styrofoam peanuts (that blow everywhere of course and are a pain to dispose of), double boxed etc. But the amps arrived safely.

I took notes and ship my amps the same way. Poly wrap on a spindle - the kind used to cocoon furniture when moving - is an excellent, lightweight, very thin layer of protection. I wrap the amp, box it AND wrap the box before the label goes on.

The 'local pickup only' sellers on Reverb who live in remote areas are the annoyance of the moment. 'It's too much trouble to ship an amp and it's expensive.'

Well, if the buyer is paying the freight (literally) the cost to the seller is nil. One seller naively stated that he'd had tubes broken during shipping and therefore refused to be involved with shipping amps. I asked why the tubes weren't simply and easily removed. Answer came there none.

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

It's funny some of my best transactions on Reverb have been buying from sellers with no feedback. I never would have guessed but I've bought some stuff from 5 star 'power sellers' that has arrived broken or refurbished/b-stock, etc.. only to be said I'm 'making things up' when I looked for some help from them.

One example was from a seller known as GearTree who I know for a fact sells used gear as 'brand new' which is why they never use actual photos but instead use 'factory photos' of every guitar and amp they sell. You have to be really damn careful shopping around these days, I've had stuff from US sellers show up from other countries and everything over the years.

3. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

Unfortunately, this isn't but one of Reverb 's MANY serious issues. You'd think that since the fees are paid by the seller they'd do more to back the sellers, but they're as bad or worse than FleeceYerAssWithFeesBay and PayPunks.

F*** Reverb

4. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

The seller should be required to give their feedback first. After all, you paid for the item. I hate that about Reverb. I would take plenty of pictures of the damage as proof of the dudes packing lacking.

5. neville5000

neville5000 Member

Rebay. It was good while it lasted.

6. Coopster

Coopster Member

As a seller I wait until I receive feedback to reply. A: because I firmly believe my job isn't finished until the package is received and the buyer is happy and B: If there is a problem I want to know so I can have a discourse with the buyer about it before ANY feedback is left. Now having said that I communicate throughout the process with the buyer pre shipping, shipped and upon delivery. I'm not hiding out waiting, I'm watching alongside to make sure everything goes ok and if I foresee a problem I let them know. I don't want to be "that guy".

MkIIC+ likes this.
  7. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

Reverb’s feedback system is effectively useless. Virtually everyone is a 5 star seller, you’ve got to dig to see the difference between buyer feedback and seller feedback, you’ve got to dig for negative feedback which is rare to find anyway and there are no advanced feature to understand the quality of a buyer or seller. I love buying and selling on Reverb and it would be great if they improved their system.

8. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Revenge feedback is nothing new. There is also blackmail feedback that goes way back to ebay. (People threatening to leave negative FB unless certain conditions are met.)

9. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

My biIch about feedback is your suppose to give them feedback first then when they receive maybe they do...maybe they don't...most do but a half dozen don't and you go out of your way free shipping speaker$...:mad:

Only 2 bad experiences...one was this dude posts pictures of this hard to find pedal which was xcellent shape...I wanted it (bought it) and I ask him after looking at add again...it looks like its chipped on corner...i didn't see that...he gets back to me and tells me that that was his (1st pics of better shape pedal) pedal and he was selling the damaged one that wasn't pictured at the time (changed pics)...im like what...wtf...who does this...I was pi$$ed,immediate refund requested...he gave me bad feedback...real p.o.s...buyer beware.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  10. dylheaven

dylheaven Member

I just got a little messed with on my last transaction sold a openhaus dude said the pedal wasn’t working . And he was super familiar with tone and how the pedal sounded . Asked about power supply , he was using the wrong power supply . Then to boot he still wanted a refund . Said he didn’t like the pedal. After ranting he was familiar and knew the sound . Reverb of course sided with him . Not the end of the world but annoying none the less .