Reverend Bayonet vs. Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Boltagon, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

I am a complete Gibson dude but I have been look at trying on another flavour. Something with a tremelo and a faster neck.

Looking at Jazzmasters which I have always dug, the Standard HH being one of them. Then the Bayonet RAHC caught my eye. I am surprised as I usually prefer the classics. The Railhammers have got my attention and I like the simplicy of the bridge and the controls etc. Not sure if it would sound too modern for my tastes. The Double Agent or Jetsream 390 may be a dark horse contenders.

Any Reverend players got any input?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  2. aman74

aman74 Member

But there's nothing remotely Jazzmaster about that guitar.

Scale length, not a bolt on, pickups, trem...

3. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer

I can't speak to that specific guitar, but I have a Reverend with Railhammers and I love it. Sounds great, super versatile, and a pleasure to play. You should find a store somewhere and go try some out in person.

4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

The Bayonet is absolutely nothing like a Jazzmaster. Don't get me wrong, I love Reverend guitars, I like the Bayonet, and I like Railhammers, but those two guitare are not in the same ballpark. Different scale lengths, bolt on vs set neck, different pickups, different vibratos, etc.
    Personally, I'd go with a Reverend over the Jazzmaster, but that's just me. I've never gotten along with the longer scale length of Fenders, or the Jazzmaster in general.

5. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

I am aware that they are rather different. I am considering both because I would like a guitar with a P90's and a tremolo. Haven't had a trem since my first guitar (a partscaster with a Bigsby type I got back in the 90's).

Both seem like good options. The Revs are pushing the budget vs a JM Classic Player or a Standard HH but they have definately piqued my interest. The Jetsream 390 is kinda speaking to me right now.

Sadly, no Rev dealers in town.

6. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

Which one? If you don't mind me asking.

7. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

As others have said, totally different guitars and Railhammers are totally different from Jazzmaster or P90 type pickups. I've played Reverends since 1999 and recently bought a Sensei RA. In many ways it's the most un-"me" Reverend I've ever owned but I'm blown away by how easily it plays (C profile, jumbo frets, 24.5" scale) and how versatile the Railhammers are. They go from huge sparkly cleans to really nasty rock by using the BCC (Bass Contour Control) and V/T knobs. You can buy used Reverends with Railhammers or Jetstreams with P90s all day long for around $600 on eBay and Reverends are one of few brands that you can buy sight unseen with a high degree of confidence.

8. c_mac

c_mac Member

The Reverend won't have near as many quirks as the Jazzmaster (mainly bridge issues). I speak from experience as I've owned several Revs and a few Jazzmasters. Still have some Revs but no Jazzmasters. That's my take.

9. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Haven't had the pleasure of playing a Reverend guitar yet, but I have to say that my Jazzmaster is, far and away, the most fun guitar to play. I guess I prefer the scale length, too.

10. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

The Bayonet has a Railhammer Nuevo 90 in the neck. That's one of the reasons it caught my eye.

11. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

What would you compare the neck profile to?

12. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

It's a medium oval so rounded but not clubby. To me, it feels more like an early 60s Gibson neck than anything else but slightly more full.

13. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

That's what I was hoping for. My SG is a big ole hunk of a neck, which I love but looking for a little change of pace.

14. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer

I have a Kingbolt RA. The BCC does wonders for versatility, I wish every guitar had it.

15. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

i have the bayonet, op. i absolutely love it. i wanted something different from the fenders i've been playing the last 20 years, strat and tele, tele being my go to

pup combo caught my attention, def wanted something with a bucker. the bcc was a revelation!! was a little unsure about neck scale coming from fenders, but it's a non-issue. the only criticism i have is about the frets. i don't love the medium jumbos, but it's not a deal breaker. tho i do find myself wondering if i can swap those out with out any major tonal or other effect...

did you make a decision yet, op?

16. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Member

(Jazzmaster pickups aren't P90s... they're very different. Carry on.)

SciFlyer and RomanS like this.
  17. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I just quickly played a Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster the other day, and I was super impressed. I mean, I wanted one, but it was like 4th on my list of guitars I plan to acquire. But after playing it, I wanted to put it at the top of the priority list. Great neck, like American pro-level. The body was maybe the most comfortable I've ever played, and I always assumed Strats would be the benchmark im that regard. Nice.

Oh, damn. This thread is from June!
    So, what did you get?

18. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I just finally picked up a Jazzmaster and I'm hooked. They are SO cool. If your not sure try pickuping up a Squier VM Jazzmaster. Price is right and they are good guitars for the money. I like mine a lot.