Reverend Buckshot - Volume Knob/Pot Issue! Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Clifton82, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Clifton82

Clifton82 Member

I recently purchased a Reverend Buckshot second hand off of Craigslist. I tested it extensively before I purchased it. Just yesterday I plugged it into my Blues Jr. and I couldnt get any sound out of the amp. At first I thought it was the amp - but I tried another guitar and it worked fine. I plugged the Buckshot back in and I had to turn the Master and Volume all the way up on the amp - plus the volume knob on the guitar all the way up to get any sound out of the amp...

What does this mean? Is the volume pot in the guitar bad? Could it be another issue? How hard is this problem to diagnose and fix? Help!

2. fumbler

fumbler Member

And it worked properly then? I assume you've checked bonehead stuff like the cable or a volume pedal being backed off.

Could be as simple as oxidation on the jack, switch, pots. Try plugging in and removing the cable multiple times, flipping the switch back and forth, rolling the pots up and down a bunch. A shot of deoxit will fix those problems.

Next, you'll have to open it up and look for a broken connection. And a multimeter is better than your eyes at testing connectivity. Especially check the volume pot, switch and jack as the entire signal passes through them. The signal passes through those bass contour controls on Reverends, too.

3. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

Look at the input jack and see if the harness is broken loose