Reverend Descent Baritone?

oloboy

Can anyone comment on the difference in tone between the Rev Descent’s short 26.75” scale length vs the longer 28” and plus baritones out there?

I’ve read post but can’t find much that directly asks this. Thanks.

O

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
Haven't played one, but generally a shorter scale will sound and feel more guitar like. I have a 26.5" baritone, and it is easy to play, and is still pretty good at communicating the depth of a lower tuning.

M

Member 995

I’d go for the longer scale. If you’re planning to tune B to B, it will sound much clearer. If you’re hoping for A to A, then even 28” is shorter than I’d really want.

Tony Done

I would go long. I have an OLP 30" bari and I think that the relatively high string tension on the long scale contributes to its good tone. I have it tuned to open C with 13-56 strings. It sounds even better in open D with the same strings, but the string tension becomes scary. The way is see it, 26.5" is only one fret longer than a standard guitar scale, and 28"is about two frets, so they aren't adding much.

Last edited:

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I play 7s with slightly longer scales in low B to E like the Rev and they sound awesome. If you wanna tune to A, maybe a longer scale would sound better. However, I am VERY impressed with Reverends (I have a Warhawk 390 that is wonderful) and think you oughta try out the Reverend in person. You might be as impressed as I am...

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
Do you lose richness with a shorter scale?
This is a good video that does a decent comparison.

Obviously, a shorter scale guitar wont sound like a Bass VI, but it is just different by design. For me, the short scale, a set of 12-62's, tuned to C, all makes for some cool tones.

Trending Topics