Reverend Electrics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sesop, May 19, 2015.

1. sesop

sesop Member

I've been playing guitar for a long time but managed to stick with acoustics, exclusively, out of a fear of the rabbit hole I knew I'd get into if I got into electrics.

I think this is my first post here, though I'm a regular poster on AGF.

Long story short, two months, two telecasters, an amp and some effects later, and I haven't touched any of my acoustics since.

I have a Nashville tele and a 72 FSR. Different animals; different pickups. I've seen/heard about Reverends and I'd be curious to get some opinions on them in general or if you have experience with any specific models, I'd love to hear about it. They strike me as the electric equivalent of Blueridge or maybe Recording King in the sense that they take their style cues from well known/established brands but add new touches and represent pretty good value.

I'm not necessarily in the market for a third electric (That's a lie. Of course I am.). Have been thinking about a couple of different Reverends or maybe an Airline. I'll be in Chicago later this week - plan on playing a few at Chicago Music Exchange.

I like to have diversity. My stable of acoustic guitars has no redundancy - all different woods, builder, shapes, etc, so if I'm going to get a reverend or anything else, I'd want it to not have much if anything in common with either of my Telecasters.

Anyway...

Any opinions, reviews, anecdotes, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

I would be far more partial to the older eastpoint USA Reverends - For several reasons. But either way they are all unique cost effective guitars and formally amps. They can play and sound great and there is nothing wrong with them.

In this case, buying used, you may get a little more than you paid for.

3. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Pretty sure all of the import Reverends are made of korina, so that alone will offer some differentiation from your Teles.

I acquired a NOS Reverend Jetstream HB several months ago and am very happy with it. Fantastic value.

4. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

I actually have the Revered Tele they make...the Pete Anderson Eastsider T. I had my mind set on finding the right Fender Telecaster and was trying out different ones at several shops, all nice guitars, until I saw the Reverend at a guitar shop and tried it out. Next to all the Tele's I played on, it was a night/day difference. The Korina sounds great acoustically, and the pickups (Revered made) were designed perfectly for the guitar. Its hard to know how much was due to the guitar shop setting up guitars inconsistent, but the Revered also was the best playing immediately.

5. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I have owned several Reverends, both US and Korean made. Honestly, the only thing l think the US models had over thr MIK's is weight (which is due more to design and hody material). They, PRS SE's and the Guild Newark Street series models are the guitars that have made the Korean makers serious contenders in the market.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I love me some Reverends, but I'm not partisan. I'd be happy with many mid or upper priced, Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc.

What the Reverends do for me is that the pickups are tweaked versions of predecessors. The revtrons are a little hotter than most filtertrons, p90s a little smoother, etc.
    Also, some pickup configurations you don't see every day. And last, I just like the look of them.

Build quality is good off the rack, but I think that is pretty well true of most well known brands in that range. I've had few issues with the 3 I have. Low action, tuning stable, etc. I wore the DoubleAgent's jack out, but that was a $5, 10 minute fix.

Mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SPROING!, sshan25 and Silver Hand like this.
  7. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Good guitars. Easily hold their own with anything else in their price range. For me, I really like the added tonal possibilities the contour control provides, I find their necks super comfy, and appreciate the fact that their P90s are wired to be noise canceling in the middle position.

If you can't find a Reverend that speaks to you, you just don't like guitars.

sshan25 and Silver Hand like this.
  8. sesop

sesop Member

This is all very encouraging. I guess maybe it would have been better for my wallet to read that they suck. All of them. I guess everything I thought about Reverend is true. Now I have some thinking to do...

thanks

9. scottcentilli

scottcentilli Member

On paper and in pictures they all look tasty to me, but in reality, just like any manufacturer they have some that are awesome and others that are anchovies. The last few I played weren't worth my money: two Pete Anderson hollow bodies were lifeless; Warhawk was a boat anchor; was hoping the Club King would be awesome, but it was ok at best; finally... Six Gun was freakin' awesome. All that said, I did own an Eastpointe neck'd Rocco once, should've kept it - it was fantastic.

10. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

I've always wanted an earlier USA p90 slingshot. Just hasn't happened yet...

11. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I bought my Flatroc back when they sold em direct at a very reasonable price. Back then they were chambered mahogany with a spruce top. This was a very nice wood combination. Shame they gave it up. I remember having a conversation with them about strings when I was ordering. They normally came with 10s. I told them I use 11s on my electrics. The website specifically said no string swaps or special setup with different strings and I had no expectations otherwise. Mine arrived with 11s, perfectly set up and it played great. Still does and I haven't made a single adjustment in almost 10 years. Only electric I have ever bought that was truly gig ready for me when it hit the door. Fit and finish (a couple of very small dimples in the finish) is not perfect but plenty good enough.

It sounds great and definitely gets some, but not all, of that Gretsch filtertron thing. The bass roll off is a great control and works like a charm. I gigged it for soul and blues music, where it works OK, and country, folk rock where it worked great. As you'd expect, it is particularly suited for rootsy country and alt country stuff. I haven't played any newer models so I can't really speak to the latest build and setup quality. The new prices are up quite a bit but I might get a Kingbolt if I was shopping a basic humbucker guitar. They seem pretty cool to me.

hunter

12. c_mac

c_mac Member

I'm a big Reverend fan! I have a Rick Vito, Eastsider T, and a Six Gun III. All but the Vito are currently sporting EMGs. Blasphemy, I know!

13. 73Fender

73Fender Member

They look cool but I have too many afflictions already... Seem like a good bang for the buck package, original designs and I hear the quality control is good...there I go..talking myself into one ha ha.

A friend from the Heritage forum visited their offices in MI, said they were very friendly and he got a good vibe FWIW.

14. mike361

mike361 Member

I have owned 2 Rocco's, still have one but it is kind of a beater. Eastpoint necks are possibly the best I have ever played. The pickups are very good, and it has split switch. Very good strat tones from the neck in single mode. The problem is it has a small dent in the top under the pickup switch. Great guitars and the imports are supposed to be good as well. If any one wants the Rocco, let me know.

15. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I have 6 Revs.
    I have played hundreds of gigs the past (yikes, FIFTEEN YEARS with them).
    Never a problem, always trustworthy.
    The BCC knob is the secret weapon.

Lots of guitar for the $$$$$$.

16. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

Here is a video of the founder of Reverend. Its a nice Profile of the Reverend company.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  17. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

Yep. If I were you, I would add some Reverend P90s to your arsenal--Jetstream 290 or Sensei 390, perhaps.

Here are mine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    ggwwbb likes this.
  18. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Love Reverends. I've got an early mahogany import, a Warhawk I 290 that is a keeper. I love the way their necks feel, their twist on classic designs, and especially their pickups. Joe Naylor is a master of designing pickups. I haven't played a Reverend yet that didn't sound good.

19. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

I have a Buckshot, Club King, Flatroc and am waiting on a Double Agent OG. I think the P-90's are the best of the pickups they make. I like the Revtron's in the neck but don't like them in the bridge. The single coil on the Buckshot is nice and hot.

They all play great and are really set up well.

20. Schpyder

Schpyder Member

I've got a 2013 Tricky Gomez special edition, and a 2014 Double Agent III (now just the "Double Agent"). Love them both. The DA has bar-none the best-feeling neck I've ever used, and that P90 in the neck is so, so, so sweet. Both of the pickups on it are pretty hot, so I usually have to dial back the volume control a little bit, but man do they sound great. It's my go-to for nearly everything now. I can get tele-esqe tones out of it, or jazzmaster-y tones, or even mostly LP-ish tones with some finagling of the knobs. And the Wilkinson trem is great. Super, super versatile. The TG doesn't get as much love as often (I prefer the 25.5" scale in general), but it's still great to play, and you can wring a surprising array of tones out of those Revtron pickups as well, thanks to the BCC, but it is a little more pigeonholed. But it's a great guitar, and sparkly! But yeah, absolutely great playing guitars.

gill likes this.