Reverend Gallery

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jon Silberman, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

NOTE: THIS THREAD IS AN INDEPENDENT EFFORT NOT ASSOCIATED PROFESSIONALLY WITH REVEREND GUITARS THOUGH YOU WILL FIND MANY REVEREND OWNERS AND FANS HERE. DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY THE THREAD LENGTH, NEW REV FANS AND REPEAT QUESTIONS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME! :)

[​IMG]

Having just done a word search for Reverend to help answer a friend's question on another forum, I was struck by how many hits the search function identified. It looks like there's quite a few folks here indeed who are current Reverend owners or Reverend-curious. In response, let's see if there's enough interest to sustain a Reverend Gallery thread.

I'll start us off here in The Small Company Luthiers section - what more fitting place is there to discuss, as the Reverend website puts it, "the small American company that gives a damn!"? - but should the spirit be upon you, by all means, show and tell here about Rev amps and pedals, too.

The Gear Page is also a good place to post your "for sale or trade" or "wanted to buy" ads for Reverend gear. I can guarantee at least one person will be looking out for your ads. :eek:

Reverend's website is here:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/

Rev's website is wonderful, it's chock full of helpful info. and fine photos of Rev gear and users. The FAQ is particularly informative (folks with older Rev gear, be sure to check out the Tech Bulletins, too).

To emphasize the "gallery" feel, definitely post a pic or two of your Rev gear here if you have 'em! My current Rev harem [edit: as of 08-05 when this thread began, of course] includes these guitars, amp, ext. cab, and pedals:

[​IMG]

[I since sold the blue SS and added this cool limited edition NAMM SSC]

[​IMG]

Jump in, the water's fine! :D

[​IMG]

2. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Fellow Reverend owner - four of them at the momment - checking in! As soon as I can figure out a photo hosting site, I'll the group shot of my flock up here.

I couldn't agree more with you Jon. This is the perfect spot to discuss, answer/ask questions, and show off some pictures of the extremely cool Reverend gear!

Mike

3. Mike Duncan

Oh yeah, that's me in the photo holding the green and orange Reverends.

Mike

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Jon-- how do you like the new wiring? The bass cut, or whatever it's called? Would it work in other guitars, you think? Also, how do the new Filtertron looking pups sound? I've been interested in the Reverends for a long time, but I've never played one plugged in!

5. Jon Silberman

Pedro, I'll give your questions my best shot!

Most of the folks I know who have the newer Revs with the bass contour control tell me they really like it. I thought it was OK on the couple of guitars I tried but the tradeoff is that while it definitely rolls off the bass as advertised, rolling off the bass also reduces the overall volume fairly significantly.

On my '86 PRS Custom, which lacks a tone control (it has the sweet switch instead), recently, I upped the value of the treble bleed cap on the volume control from 180 to 1000 pf. This causes the signal to stay alot brighter as you roll off the volume. The end result, interestingly, seems similar to that produced by a bass contour control.

On the new Reverends, the bass contour control is an addition above and beyond the normal tone control (my PRS Custom doesn't have a tone control - it's got the sweet switch) so it would seem it's a no-lose proposition, with some people gaining more, others less, depending on how useful the function is to you.

Bottom line: if access to an alternative volume control where the tone stays nice and bright/not mushy when you turn it down sounds appealing, you'll probably dig the bass contour.

I haven't A-B'd one with a regular FilterTron-equipped axe but I've jammed several times with folks who have Wolfmans and I thought they sounded great. They're hotter than stock FilterTrons, though, so just don't expect vintage Gretsch tones.

Mike Duncan has a Wolfman, maybe he'll chime in.

6. Pedro58

Yeah, I realize that you don't have the models I'm asking about, but maybe others will chime in. It seems that a p90-style pickup is the perfect match for these guitars. Did you change to any after-market p90's or are the stock ones good. It's my opinion that it's hard to screw up a p90!

7. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Here's my Slingshot Custom. Unfortuantely, it's for sale right now. sniff!

[​IMG]

8. Jon Silberman

My experience is that most popular models Rev are the Slingshot (SS) and Slingshot Custom (SSC) specifically because the P90s sound so darn good. I currently own both, will likely sell the SS soon.

I really like the stock Reverend P90s. Not sure who makes 'em - Joe Naylor ("Mr. Reverend") likes to keep that a secret. Also am not sure what % of this is due to the scale length, mostly hollow bodies, and construction details versus the PUPs themselves but for sure they are less middy & clearer sounding than P90-equipped Gibsons, and seemingly not as hot as PRS P90s.

Anyway, I think they sound great and have been told the same thing by everyone who's tried my SS and SSC (though, as Keb Mo' puts it, "My mama told me she loves me but she could be jivin', too ..." :) ).

9. Jon Silberman

I think you should keep that one!!!

P.S. Where is it listed (I don't see it in the Emporium)?

10. Mike Duncan

Hey Pedro - I've got a Slingshot Custom (three P-90s), a Wolfman (Revtrons - Reverend Filtertron), Rocco (two HBs), and a Spy (three Lipsticks). Each guitar is a different animal.

The Wolfman has a fantastic growl. It can rock and it can do surf. The Bass Contour Control can roll from full on humbuckers down to an Tele sound. I really don't find the Contour control to be most useful feature, but it does offer some otherwise unavailable tones. I play music ranging from CCR to Weezer to The Ventures; the Wolfman seems to cover all the bases. In short, I think they're great sounding pickups.

As far as the P-90s, Reverend does them right. I haven't heard any reason to change them...they really sound sweet! I think with the body design, anything would sound great in the guitar - but Joe's choice for pickups really do sound great.

Mike

11. hemlock

hemlock Guest

It's listed in the amps emporium with my Top Hat SD that I just sold. I'll move it over to the guitar emporium tonight.

I think I should keep it, too. However, the significant other has different ideas. Something about not being able to afford LASIK for her or some such stuff. Pfffft. Women!

12. Jon Silberman

That is ridiculous. Once you sell the SSC, what will she have left to look at anyways? ;)

:D

13. Jon Silberman

14. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Would you be willing to talk to her? She might listen to a tall good-lookin' guy like you.

15. Jon Silberman

Just tell her the truth: SSCs sound and play great, producing a happy and satisfied husband.

It worked on my wife! :cool:

16. hemlock

hemlock Guest

The truth!!! Why didn't I think of that?!?! I'll have to try that more often.

17. Greggy

Greggy Member

Just wanted to chime in as a former Hellhound owner. Joe Naylor is top notch in the customer service dept. I've called him on a couple of occasions. His compamy slogan is spot on. Great service and product.

18. Orren

Orren Member

Unless I'm blind, I don't see any options for lefty models on the Reverend site.

Needless to say, that sucks.

Orren

19. Pedro58

Jon, Jon, Jon... I don't know how to say this, but BB King said that thing about his mother first! As far as I know...

:D

20. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Member

Hey Jon, Great to see this new reverend topic here. Let's go cazy. Still pondering What speaker to use for my extension cabinet, connected to my Goblin. The Black Shadow Celestion you mentioned--plenty of low end? Now, I thought you said you had an Eminence in your 1x12 cab?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.