Reverend Guitar alternatives?

buzzp

What else is there? I love everything about Reverend guitars.... except for the 12" radius. A buddy of mine looked into a custom neck and it was over $300, close to $400.

I have a luthier that could add a bass contour, but what options are there? Preferably under a grand.

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know of one that will be less than Reverend. G & L has some similar models, but you'll pay over $1000 for anything custom, and maybe still not get exactly what you want. You can talk with Logan and Benford, maybe. Still, going to be tough to compete with Reverend.

buzzp

I don't know of one that will be less than Reverend. G & L has some similar models, but you'll pay over $1000 for anything custom, and maybe still not get exactly what you want. You can talk with Logan and Benford, maybe. Still, going to be tough to compete with Reverend.
I just wish they made a 9.5 or 10" radius neck option, I have a feeling they would sell even more guitars. Is getting used to a 12" radius neck tough to do?

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
Agreed. I will admit I have trouble going past that to 14 or 15, but 12 hasn't been an issue. Everyone has different hands, though, so it may be more pronounced for you. I had a Taylor solid-body guitar that sounded spectacular, and I don't say that lightly, but I could not get used to the 15" radius, combined with the neck width. However, I have a Reverend Sensei RA that plays, sounds and feels great!

sshan25

Silver Supporting Member
I just wish they made a 9.5 or 10" radius neck option, I have a feeling they would sell even more guitars. Is getting used to a 12" radius neck tough to do?
Can you get on with a Gibson? They're 12". I switch back and forth among 9.5", 10" & 12" necks all the time with no issues. The only ones I don't like are 7.25". I can never set them up low enough that they won't fret out. BTW, I love Reverend necks.

JeffK

Gold Supporting Member
IMO they are economical enough (I grabbed a Sensei with RevTrons for less than $400, just a few months ago) that you could pick up a used one and give it a good long trial. If you find that you can't gel with it, you won't be out much.

I wouldn't be surprised though if you find that you get along just fine with the radius if you give it some time.

They seem to be great values, and I'm now hunting for a P-90 equipped something-or-other from Reverend!

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
I'm now hunting for a P-90 equipped something-or-other from Reverend!
As an aside, just put an aftermarket Railhammer pickup in the neck of a Carvin CS624 and it sounds great! Much better than many neck HB's, in my opinion. It's warm, but still pretty clear.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I went from playing almost only 7.25" Fenders to my Reverends without having an issue. If 10" is ok with you, seems like 12" isn't a drastic change.

Have you played a Rev?

Rayzaa

I wish they did as well. 12" isnt hard to get used to but i do just prefer the 9.5" and it feels better when i go back to it after playing the 12" radius.

Chicago Slim

I also prefer 9.5" (Fender) and 10" (PRS) radius necks. I do have several 12" necks, and I get used to playing them by not switching to mt 10" radius necks. If you can find a PRS Starla used (core lin or S2), it should be umder $1,000. They aren't much more, new.

MangoMango

Gold Supporting Member
Reverends are more than a neck.....although a highly acclaimed neck at that.
I agree with some of the others. Jump in...... the water may seem cold at first but you'll soon adjust.
A Flatroc is a wonderful thing.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
IMO they are economical enough (I grabbed a Sensei with RevTrons for less than $400, just a few months ago) that you could pick up a used one and give it a good long trial. If you find that you can't gel with it, you won't be out much.

I wouldn't be surprised though if you find that you get along just fine with the radius if you give it some time.

They seem to be great values, and I'm now hunting for a P-90 equipped something-or-other from Reverend!
The Jetstream 390 is great, if your looking for a P-90 equipped Rev. They can go from P-90 chime to Strat-like quack, to full-on P-90 snarl (boarding on HB roar with the bass contour all the way up). It covers a LOT of tonal range! :) Oh, and the neck is stellar! ;)

Trending Topics