Reverend guitars with humbuckers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I went over a friends house last night with my Gries 5 and he brought his Reverend Manta Ray (that I sold him a few months ago). I played the guitar again and it's KILLER... dumb sale, what can I say.
    :jo
    The only knock I have on the Manta Ray is that it's kind of big (semi hollow) and I just can't deal with 3 on a side headstocks.
    But, I now need a humbucker guitar in my arsenal and there is no doubt that Reverend is the way to go imo.
    So, anyone compare/contrast the Double Agent (Bridge = HB, Neck = P90) and the Gil Parris (Bridge = HB, Mid = Lace Sensor, Neck = HB) and the Jetstream (2 humbuckers)?
    I think the Gil Parris is a tad more pricey and I would want to go with a rosewood fretboard so I would most likely have to order that (vs. finding one used somewhere). Any advice appreciated.

2. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

Funny you should mention the jetstream and the double agent. I have a jetstream and have my double agent on order.
    My jestream is the wilkenson trem version. I love it the neck is great and the pickups sound great. It's the first guitar I haven't thought about changing anything.
    I am looking forward to the Double agent (maple topped one) as far as I know they are all on order and haven't spoke with anyone who has a production one yet.

3. Gasp100

Oh cool, please report back about the Double agent. HB + P90 has to be good, right?

4. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys, I also have a Double Agent on order, can't wait to get it. I am not sure when they will be around, the Elderly Instruments site says they will be in in April (I hope it's sooner than that!)

I can see this becoming my go to guitar, as I prefer Neck single coils and bridge humbuckers. Plus the 25.5 scale length is great. I ordered the all black one, without the maple top.

I will definitely post my thoughts when I get some time with it!

Seth

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

I love the Gil Parris model. Great guitar. The JetStream is also a lovely guitfiddle. That's the beauty of Reverend. You can't find a bad guitar in their line up!

6. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I got a VOLCANO and its pretty versatile for a Humbucker guitar. The neck and electronics package are top notch and it will rock as hard as my Gibson that cost 5 times as much.

7. Gasp100

You pre-order guys get your Double Agents yet? If so, what's the verdict? Mine should be here in but a few agonizingly long hours :bow

8. Doodad

Doodad Member

I have a warhawk with two humbuckers. Good guitar, but something about the neck throws me. I have played it maybe five times.

9. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

If you have true buyer's remorse, I'm looking to part with my Manta Ray...:D

10. c-dub

c-dub Gold Supporting Member

I've got a limited edition Naylor signed H90 (daredevil body), great combo of the P-90 in the neck and the HB bridge. Nice for clean soulful rhythm or solos in the neck and then throw it to the bridge HB for grind and hum free gain. Great combo. Ive heard somepeople say the lace sensor in the middle doesnt give them the quack they were hoping for with the Parris, but that on the whole it is a very versatile guitar.

Disclaimer: my H90 is for sale in the emporium, as I have a Koll tornado and recently had to jump on a gold Rocco on the bay.

11. Gasp100