• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Reverend Guitars

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I've told this story before, but I bought a Flatroc out of Joe Naylor's booth at NAMM 2008 and after I had it for a while, I had to sell it, because it squealed out of control when hit hard with overdrive. Ken explained to me that they had problems with those guitars due to the metal used under the pickups, but that the issue had been rectified.
That is interesting. Bought my Flatroc in August 2007. Back then, I called Reverend and bought a guitar shipped direct from them. Never had an issue with squeal and I have used it in what I consider driven situations a lot. Seems there can be a thin line between a lively pup and an unmanageable squealer. Maybe you were really gained up or your pups were more microphonic. Goes to show application matters.

This was recorded using a Flatroc with drive from a Zendrive:

This one is my recently acquired Contender with drive from a Howie.

Those two Reverends are still two of the best as-received setup guitars I have owned. Nothing to do but take em out of the box and play em.

markmann

The Kingbolt in my avitar is my #1. Totally stock and I think the only guitar I have that I have not modded in some way. I also live in SE Michigan not far from the store (Joes Music) where it all started. I was able to play a bunch of Rev's and that's when I realized how much I liked them.

MIke MM

Been eying this for soo long, seems like the perfect combo of Tele-Strat

5a329bc249520e00017fdbae_ess_BLK_main_r.png

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member
Have owned 4 different reverends (2 six guns, a warhawk 390, and most recently a jetstream 390) and dearly loved each one of them. Only reason I don't own one right now is I recently purchased a Duesenberg CC which has completely stolen all my affection and I don't like guitars just sitting not being played, so I ended up selling my jetstream. I see Duesenberg and Reverend actually having a lot of similar qualities. They both make incredibly well-built (especially for overseas manufacturing), uniquely-styled guitars with really thoughtful features for players, with Duesenberg obviously being a slight notch above in terms of quality/flashy-ness. Have never been let down by revered, though, and will never hesitate to recommend them!

IPLAYLOUD

I have played Reverends since 2000.
100's of gigs with them, never a problem, always positive comments on the sound/tone (but never for my playing! LOL).
Always evolving models and new surprises.
Joe Naylor with his Railhammer pickups are a hit!!

Where else can you get a bolt-on, semi hollow, with a 25.5" scale or a solid with holes through the body? Rev AS front.jpg Rev me NC.jpg

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I wonder where they come up with the names for them :)
Unless I am mistaken, Ken Hass's wife Penny is directly involved with naming the guitars and choosing and naming the colors used. I have never spoken to Penny, but am told she's the glue that keeps the office running, a very indispensable lady. I look forward to working with her.

natmiss

I have an early Korean Jetstream 390 purchased back when you had to call Reverend directly. Those early designs were a bit different. Chambered mahogany with a spruce top. It's a fabulous guitar that turned me on to triple P90 guitars. It was my main gigging guitar until I bought my current #1. A triple P90 Sadowsky purchased used here on TGP.

natmiss

I would love to buy an American triple P90 Reverend but I have never seen one with a trem. I gotta wacky my whammy although I've heard you shouldn't do that too much of you'll go blind.

cwz

Have owned 4 different reverends (2 six guns, a warhawk 390, and most recently a jetstream 390) and dearly loved each one of them. Only reason I don't own one right now is I recently purchased a Duesenberg CC which has completely stolen all my affection and I don't like guitars just sitting not being played, so I ended up selling my jetstream. I see Duesenberg and Reverend actually having a lot of similar qualities. They both make incredibly well-built (especially for overseas manufacturing), uniquely-styled guitars with really thoughtful features for players, with Duesenberg obviously being a slight notch above in terms of quality/flashy-ness. Have never been let down by revered, though, and will never hesitate to recommend them!
Pretty sure that Mirr music in Korea builds both Reverend and Duesenberg. Reverend is very open about this, Duesenberg a bit less so. Granted, the specifications, construction details, and bling requirements for each company are different, but the quality of build would be similar.
I do enjoy my Airsonics and would recommend anyone considering a guitar to look into the Reverend lineup.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned more than a few Reverends. Some really fine guitars. The 20th anniversary Double Agent I have now is the best one yet. A seriously good and useful guitar, out of proportion to the price.

dancehall

I have a Korean guitar and two USA basses, all great instruments that served me well on many gigs. I’m a fan.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I've had 3 and still have 2 of them, an early import Warhawk I 290 and a Pete Anderson PA-1. I used to have an original Roundhouse FM HB, but sold it several years ago. Should have kept it.....

They are great guitars that, to me, are cool designs that are different, but have a bit of a classic familiarity to them that keeps them from being weird....I love their pickups, especially their P90s.

I helped a local shop get set up as a dealer several years ago and have played most of their models. Some I like a little better than others, but I have yet to play one that wasn't a great guitar. I'm not a bass player, but their basses almost make me want to become one!

Here's mine:

mthuesen

Platinum Supporting Member
That is interesting. Bought my Flatroc in August 2007. Back then, I called Reverend and bought a guitar shipped direct from them. Never had an issue with squeal and I have used it in what I consider driven situations a lot. Seems there can be a thin line between a lively pup and an unmanageable squealer. Maybe you were really gained up or your pups were more microphonic. Goes to show application matters.

This was recorded using a Flatroc with drive from a Zendrive:

This one is my recently acquired Contender with drive from a Howie.

Those two Reverends are still two of the best as-received setup guitars I have owned. Nothing to do but take em out of the box and play em.
That's a big thumbs up. The action is so playable. I've had my guitar tech keep it that way for 8 years. I won't even change the strings myself. Absolute perfection. Mike

Trending Topics