Reverend Guitars

stratoquack

Silver Supporting Member
I just recently joined the Reverend family myself. I acquired a Sensei Jr. a couple of weeks ago. My first P90 guitar as well. So far, I'm blown away. It's a helluva lot of fun to play and the quality is top notch.

mikebat

I bought a Club King 290 with neck binding and matching headstock when a store was liquidating them as distributorship changed.

I picked it off the wall just as we chit chatted and.....eh...this is a great guitar... I bought it. Since, it has become a favorite. My bandmates always comment on how well it stays in tune.

What's to love? Plays great, BCC is simply awesome, stability, sounds great, unique without trying to hard.

Since, I bought a PA-1. Great guitar too! Changing strings on a Bigsby.....could be a challenge.

I wish Reverend would change design ethic regarding the 25.5" scale guitars. They follow the Fender, no binding, plain headstock ethic. I understand, it's "the working man" look. I do not want ugly inlays and perlodid binding (I am looking at you PRS).....but giving a guitar a matching headstock takes the guitar from nice to special. These guitars deserve that special touch.

If they had a Jetstream RB with matching headstock and pickup rings that were not so shiny, or no pickup rings at all......I would not hesitate for a moment.

Reverend, stay in that 50's bowling balls and hotrods ethic. Sparkle finishes! Leave the sunbursts to the Gibson and Fenders of the world....

zorro

Quoting myself: Ken Haas is a great guy, always ready to help. I own a Reeves Gabrels II with signature Railhammers. Great guitar, but no bargain. About the same price as my Fender Player Strat with included upgrades: high-end pups, Fender locking tuners and Highwood Saddles.

/z

outdoorpja

Silver Supporting Member
I just recently joined the Reverend family myself. I acquired a Sensei Jr. a couple of weeks ago. My first P90 guitar as well. So far, I'm blown away. It's a helluva lot of fun to play and the quality is top notch.

nice! me as well. had mine for a couple months now. still getting to know her, but am definitely falling in love. really nice honky p90. having a slight issue with the G-string coming out of tune more than I'd like -- checked for debris in the nut and any noticeable burrs at the bridge, restrung her, but still happening. so I'll probably just bring her to the local tech to sort it out, because I think she's a keeper.

View media item 228973

Doomrider78

What is the neck profile like on Reverends? I've been looking at the Sensei or Bob Balch but I prefer a fatter neck and none of the stores around me stock them.

Are they a safe bet to order online? I.e. is the QC good enough?

I'm tempted to sell my PRS S2 Standard for one of these.

IAO

What is the neck profile like on Reverends? I've been looking at the Sensei or Bob Balch but I prefer a fatter neck and none of the stores around me stock them.

The neck profile is definitely not fat. I only have bolt-on models, but they’re both firmly in the modern C camp, kind of in the ballpark of my 90s Strat Plus but maybe slightly deeper with less squared shoulders.

I find the neck profile on my Reverends to be perfect for me, but I have an old PRS with “wide-fat” neck and it is gigantic in comparison.

There have been a few limited runs of Reverends with thicker neck profiles: one of the Gristlemasters sold at Wildwood for example. Don’t know of any set necks. Actually, you might want to check out the neck measurements on Wildwood to get an idea of the typical neck depth range for Reverends.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member

I like fat necks too and I thought the thinner neck profile of the Reverend would be a problem but it’s not at all, in fact I find it quite comfy. They aren’t Fender modern C slim, more beef than that, but less than a LP 59 shape. I’ve also found they vary a little bit, I don’t if it’s by model or just tolerances. All 3 of the Reverend’s I’ve owned were a little different. My Daredevil HB was the thinnest and my Kyle Shutt Manta Ray is the thickest (more width?) and is my preference. My Reeves Gabrels II is sort of in between.

QC is pretty top notch on these, I wouldn’t give it a second thought. I’ve also played many others because my local shop is a dealer and they always feel well setup and play great out of the box. Ken Haas and the peeps at Reverend are also super helpful if any issues ever arise.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
The neck profile is definitely not fat. I only have bolt-on models, but they’re both firmly in the modern C camp, kind of in the ballpark of my 90s Strat Plus but maybe slightly deeper with less squared shoulders.

I find the neck profile on my Reverends to be perfect for me, but I have an old PRS with “wide-fat” neck and it is gigantic in comparison.

There have been a few limited runs of Reverends with thicker neck profiles: one of the Gristlemasters sold at Wildwood for example. Don’t know of any set necks. Actually, you might want to check out the neck measurements on Wildwood to get an idea of the typical neck depth range for Reverends.
I’ve always felt they were thicker than the modern C but I could be remembering wrong, been a while since I had a Fender neck. I know I never liked it and changed my Strat neck to something thicker but the Reverend necks don’t bother me for some reason.

IAO

I’ve always felt they were thicker than the modern C but I could be remembering wrong, been a while since I had a Fender neck. I know I never liked it and changed my Strat neck to something thicker but the Reverend necks don’t bother me for some reason.

It could definitely be that I’ve only played modern C necks that were on the thicker side — maybe the Reverends are closer to a “medium C.” Haha, I’m not really sure.

My Double Agent OG neck feels pretty small. I’ve never measured it, but subjectively it’s the “fastest” neck I have. It has a bit of an oval shape to it. I love it but I can see it being too small for many. I’m certain it’s on the “small” side for Reverend necks.

My Descent Baritone theoretically has the same profile but feels a bit beefier in hand with the same shoulder feel.

The Strat Plus Deluxe—which maybe isn’t quite a “modern” C?— is flatter on the back than either, with bulkier shoulders. It feels very flat even with the 9.5” radius fretboard vs 12” on the Reverends. Both Reverends are a bit more comfy in my hands, but I tend to play in a more classical style with thumb pivoting on the back of the neck.

The WF on my PRS is an order of magnitude huger than either my Fender or my Reverends. I’m not sure if it’s another outlier or if they’re all inch think no-taper logs.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
It could definitely be that I’ve only played modern C necks that were on the thicker side — maybe the Reverends are closer to a “medium C.” Haha, I’m not really sure.

My Double Agent OG neck feels pretty small. I’ve never measured it, but subjectively it’s the “fastest” neck I have. It has a bit of an oval shape to it. I love it but I can see it being too small for many. I’m certain it’s on the “small” side for Reverend necks.

My Descent Baritone theoretically has the same profile but feels a bit beefier in hand with the same shoulder feel.

The Strat Plus Deluxe—which maybe isn’t quite a “modern” C?— is flatter on the back than either, with bulkier shoulders. It feels very flat even with the 9.5” radius fretboard vs 12” on the Reverends. Both Reverends are a bit more comfy in my hands, but I tend to play in a more classical style with thumb pivoting on the back of the neck.

The WF on my PRS is an order of magnitude huger than either my Fender or my Reverends. I’m not sure if it’s another outlier or if they’re all inch think no-taper logs.
Yeah it's weird that they all have the same profile supposedly but I've definitely noticed some variation, even if slight. My KS-1 feels much more beefy than others, maybe why I love playing it the most, though my RGII is one of the fastest feeling necks I own too.

I could be wrong on the Fender profiles too, not much of a Fender player.

Reactions: IAO
I wish Reverend would change design ethic regarding the 25.5" scale guitars. They follow the Fender, no binding, plain headstock ethic. I understand, it's "the working man" look. I do not want ugly inlays and perlodid binding (I am looking at you PRS).....but giving a guitar a matching headstock takes the guitar from nice to special. These guitars deserve that special touch.

+1000

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member

Attachments

• Rev FR mine.jpg
    Rev FR mine.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 637

metrokosmiko

community astrologer
Silver Supporting Member
Always wanted one but there is no Reverend dealer in my country. I've always been afraid the fretboard would be too flat or wide for me but now I have a Charvel which I like so that's no issue.

Also, dunno why but they look like they will look big on me.

Do most Reverend owners keep the stock pickups? I'm a repenting, recovering serial modder.

Yep.

20160912-122642-014.jpg

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I really am not drawn to many of their designs but really want a Mike Watt bass. Orange if I can get one.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
So, Reverend guys...which one should I get if I'm after a P90 equipped axe...I see many variations with P90s. I'm covered when it comes to Humbuckers. Also have two Teles and a Strat. I want something with P90s, I had a Rev DA in the past, thinking maybe I should get another Rev but with dual P90s.

Toss me some recommendations...oh, btw - I don't want anything with a bigsby. I don't care about bolt neck or set neck necessarily.

Gr8fulPickr

I have three Reverend's. Love all of them. I play my Club King RT more than any of my other much more expensive guitars.

I also have a Billy Corgan and the Grabels with the Sustainiac pickup. Both are tons of fun and pretty rock solid.

I do want a Space Hawk one day.

I find it interesting how many Reverend owners own several. Speaks well to the brand.

Redrum

I have a U.S. made triple P-90 Slingshot Custom I ordered direct from Reverend years ago. It has the Moroccan Gold brushed aluminum body, studio switch and a Bigsby. Talk about a guitar with character! The Rev P90's sound great, the guitar is light and the Bigsby stays in tune with the well worked nut and locking tuners. A keeper for sure.

Put a big smile on my face when I saw a couple Slingshots in this thread. Revs for the win!

Top Bottom