Reverend Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dillow4092, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

Anyone own one? what models? How do the play and sound?

2. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I just picked up a new Charger 290. It's made of Korina and has a maple neck and fingerboard. Loaded with P90s.

The thing really rocks! Love the bass contour as it gets me to standard single-coil tones. Nice size on the neck, not too thin or too thick. The axe plays like a dream. Nice low action and no buzzes. I set it up with boomer TNTs (10-54). Intonates great and plays in tune up and down the neck.

All I did was polish the frets as the finish seemed to be on them a bit. I also removed the filter cap that Joe Naylor and crew puts on the output jack.

Let me tell you that for 5 bills it's a great axe! I love the looks and the sound! You can't believe the quality of this for the money. Get one, you'll love it!

3. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I bought a Flatroc right out of Joe's booth at NAMM '07, where I had to try it out at a very low volume due to the noise rules at the Anaheim Convention Center. The guitar played great, but I never really warmed to the body shape. When I got it home and took it to a band rehearsal, I was angered to discover the pickups were microphonic and it squealed like a pig in heat when the amp was cranked. I emailed Joe and he told me to ship it back for them to inspect, but I wasn't willing to invest money in shipping, so I put it up on Ebay and dumped it for a small cash loss.

I want to like Reverend guitars, but I had a bad experience. I feel the same way about Eastwood guitars, where I had two bad experiences. The guitars are just sub-par all around. Even the so-called better Korean ones feel second rate. I have several friends who bought Eastwoods, and all of them, save one, sold them after a short period of time.

5. jaycee

jaycee Member

I recently picked up an '07 Volcano, a mahogany one, and I absolutely love it. I didn't expect to. I always wanted a decent V but didn't want to pay Gibby prices and never played an Epi that I liked. It has a nice chunky neck, solid mahogany, plays like absolute buttah, intonates well and stays in tune better than my '01 SC. The pickups sound surprisingly good and it only weighs about 8 lbs. Plus the bass contour knob adds a nice versatilaty that I wish all guitars had. Even the electronics are decent, you don't lose treble when rolling off the volume. I only paid about 450 used.

I'm actually starting to rethink my prejudices regarding recent "made in Korea" guitars. I might even look for a used Warhawk HB. I'm also keeping my eyes out for an American Rev. That's a whole nother ball game though. Check out this mammoth thread in the Small Company section:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=95307

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

I've owned two USA Roccos and they are fantastic guitars. The bass contour knob really provides for very versatile tones from the dual humbuckers. The neck feels fabulous. Here's a pic of the Rocco I still have.

[​IMG]

I've also played a few of the new import Revs and they are excellent guitars as well, but I prefer the discontinued USA line. For the price, Revs are some of the finest guitars out there.

7. Peeb

Peeb Member

Your collection always gets me GASsing, XKnight

8. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I picked up a Gil Parris model a few weeks ago and love it. The set up was perfect right out of the case. I can't say that I won't change out the pickups eventually (jury's still out), but otherwise it's a very versatile guitar at a good price.

9. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

Great guitars - I've played them for 7 years and currently own both a US model (metallic blue Slingshot) and a MIK Club King 290. To me, the P90 models best capture Reverend's signature tone but that's just my opinion. The MIK models are obviously easier to find and at $500-600 new or $350-450 used, they are great value.

10. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

You mentioned the microphonic pickup in your listing, right?

11. Doodad

Doodad Member

I have a Warhawk and it is a fine guitar. Good setup, good finish and playability. The neck feels a little chunky and sticky to me after playing my daily driver strat, but the adjustment takes only a chord or two to drop into place. Good guitars.

12. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

I have not owned any Reverends, but I have auditioned a number of the newer ones, multiple times. I really dug the Roundhouse 290 -- by monkeying with the bass contour control, you could move nicely between rock / blues and funk. The Tele-style Double Agent was also very good for the same reasons. But my favorite was the Manta 290. That guitar sounded extremely good, neck was fast but substantial, intonation was right, just an excellent value. Wide variety of tones, again, by fooling with the volume and bass contour. If I had the cash right now, I'd buy one, no question.

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Revs are great guitars. I love them all. I have never owned or played a Rev I didn't love.

14. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have a Korean 390 Jetstream. AT the price point, there is really no compettiton. THey are fanatastic in every respect. And if I had one microphonic, I'd have shipped it to Naylor in a heartbeat. They are weight comfy, operationally friendly, ergonically handsome, and exceptional tone. THe neck is very comfy, like a 12 radious strat.

And the body style is unique and lets just say plain,"bitchin". My other guitars are Fender, Gibson, & Gretsch.

And the cool thing is they are different than Strats & Teles & Les Pauls. Also, the variety of PU's on there different styles is a cool option.

15. dead mike

dead mike Member

just buy one, you'll love it. My fav are the 3 p90 guitars, they can cover everything.

16. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I agree! I've had my Charger 290 for about 2 months now and I'm still amazed at the quality for $500! It's a great gigging axe and I can't believe how much I use the bass contour knob to get many different sounds. Reverend P-90 really rock!