Reverend Hellhound Ideas needed??

aaronl

Silver Supporting Member
I got a Rev. Hellhound 40/60 I am pretty happy with it but was wondering if anyone knows of a "better" speaker for it.

For some reason it only comes with a 50 watt (if i remember correctly) but the amp can go to 60 watts, that seems sort of odd...

Also any ideas on good pedals for the amp?

I am using my ts808 and my boss hm-2 right now.

Thanks for any ideas, help etc!

Guitarnotsoguru

Ultimate Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
Hi Aaron,

Nice Amp!! If your combo has the Reverend Alltone.....leave it alone. The 40/60 switch is used for the extension cabinet. Using just the amp use the 40, when the extension cab is used, use the 60 watt switch. Hope this helps.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Aaron, how does that bad boy sound? Any clippage? What is the voicing? (Vox, Fender, Marshall, all, none)?
Those look super cool and I'm in an all Reverend phase right now :D

Al Nico

The All-Tone is a very good speaker for the Hellhound - American with some British thrown in. If you need something with >60W rating, I've heard that the Eminence Red White and Blues is a good match.

I run my Hellhound head with a Tonkerlite in a 1x12 open back, and it sounds very good clean and dirty once it broke in - I imagine the Jensen Neo would also be good, but maybe with a little less British flavor and agressive top end. My main cab (Avatar Traditional 2x12 open back) has a Eminence GB12 (Greenback flavor) and a Celestion G12H30, which is 60W total.

A TS-style overdrive is perfect for the Hellhound in US mode. I use a VS Route 66 (TS clone on one side) and a MI Audio Crunchbox for distortion. Really, this amp takes most pedals very well.

Here's the Hellhound head 'n cabs:
stacks.jpg

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
Aaron, how does that bad boy sound? Any clippage? What is the voicing? (Vox, Fender, Marshall, all, none)?
Those look super cool and I'm in an all Reverend phase right now :D

This is an ancient clip I dug up from a blues jam......Tele neck pickup, guitar straight into the amp, Schizo switch on UK mode. A very nice amp. I regret selling mine.

http://www.flyingvblues.com/clips/hellhound3.mp3

FVB

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, nice playing and killer tone - I like it. There is a graininess to it through the fullness and richness that give it some sack. Very cool, Thanks!

Dexter Holliday

I had a Hellhound and recently sold it to buy a 5-watt amp. The Hellhound sounded great with the stock speaker. Here is a clip I made with my Reverend Slingshot prior to selling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0axyoHSwAI&feature=user

As far as the speaker rating and wattage, I think it was Jon Silberman that bench-tested the wattage rating in his own Hellhound. If I remember correctly, in 60-watt mode, the amp did not officially get close to rating a full 60 watts. Maybe Jon will chime in, but I have not seen him posting for several days.:confused: I believe those results are still in the Reverend Gallery thread.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Telecaster62

I've got a Hellhound head and LOVE IT! I use an Eminence Governor speaker in my cab and it sounds great. I only use the UK mode and the Governor is a perfect match. I like it better than the Alltone but I'm very much a British tone guy. You can't lose either way.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I have all 3 Reverend amps. I remember reading on a Reverend discussion, or maybe on their web site, where Joe Naylor ("Mr. Reverend"), said that the cabinet dimensions of the Hellhound make it less than ideal for the Jensen Neo (which I LOVE in the Kingsnake). I found the stock Alltone in the HH "farted out in the bottom end at higher volumes. I am not going to carry around an extension cab, so I went thru several of the Emi speakers in the HH. I finally settled on the Red, White & Blues as a great match, more US flavor definitely than Brit. It really sings in the HH! I'm sure there are other good matches and feel that the RWB desreves to at least be in the running if you like a US flavor.
I did find with careful measing that many speakers will NOT fit in the Hellhound (combo) due to the closeness to the power tubes. Speakers with medium or more depth and a largish diameter magnet will likey not fit- check & measure & get size specs first if you have a combo.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
They have a sort of hybrid voice, not truly Fender or Marshall, but it sounds good. They take every pedal I've thrown at them well. Nice size, loud enough, what's not to love?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom